Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM

53 posts, read 162,880 times

Advertisements

HI,,,I made an offer on a house located at Mt. Rainier on farmingville,NY. The neighborhood on this area looks nice. It's an small ranch with 3 beedroms, 2 Bathrooms,No basement,No garage,Indoor Swiming pool (16x30). My daughter is 6 years old..The elementary school (Tecumseh) is located at granny st (3-4 blocks from the house). The price of the house i think is ok ($300k)...

Any comments about this neighborhood and School...

BTW i'm renting a townhouse in atlantic point (Bellport) and i think will be a good move for my family...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Farmingville

bajaxtreme, I'm guessing that you do mean Farmingville, a hamlet in the Town of Brookhaven in Suffolk County, and not Farmingdale, a village in the Town of Oyster Bay (TOB) in Nassau County.

For those who may not be familiar with Farmingville:

Farmingville is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the center part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Farmingville in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Coram; on the east by the Hamlet of Coram and the Hamlet of Medford; on the south by the Hamlet of Medford and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Centereach.

The Hamlet of Farmingville has a different border than does the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Farmingville and a place can have other than a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Farmingville): places that have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Farmingville are in the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Farmingville with a "Centereach, NY 11720" and "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaxtreme View Post
HI,,,I made an offer on a house located at Mt. Rainier on farmingville,NY. The neighborhood on this area looks nice. It's an small ranch with 3 beedroms, 2 Bathrooms,No basement,No garage,Indoor Swiming pool (16x30). My daughter is 6 years old..The elementary school (Tecumseh) is located at granny st (3-4 blocks from the house). The price of the house i think is ok ($300k)...

Any comments about this neighborhood and School...

BTW i'm renting a townhouse in atlantic point (Bellport) and i think will be a good move for my family...

Thanks

Thats probably as good as Farmingville gets.
Schools are OK.

As Im sure youre aware Farmingville has its issues, but that area in particular is ok.
Farmingville the Movie

Good luck

Crooks

Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats probably as good as Farmingville gets.
Schools are OK.

As Im sure youre aware Farmingville has its issues, but that area in particular is ok.
Farmingville the Movie

Good luck

Crooks
Dude... seriously? You have to stop using that movie as a reference when you clearly have no clue about Farmingville. Stick to comments about how great Rocky Point is - you haven't said that in a thread for 5min.

Read a real source on it:
Farmingville (2004)

The movie highlights a NATIONAL issue - NOT a Farmingville issue.

To the OP: That area is a very nice... Sachem schools and great access to everything you need. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Dude... seriously? You have to stop using that movie as a reference when you clearly have no clue about Farmingville. Stick to comments about how great Rocky Point is - you haven't said that in a thread for 5min.

Read a real source on it:
Farmingville (2004)

The movie highlights a NATIONAL issue - NOT a Farmingville issue.

To the OP: That area is a very nice... Sachem schools and great access to everything you need. Good luck.

Dude

Seriously.

Very few towns on LI have the dubious distinction of a film in their honor, but thats another thread and I drive through Farmingville every day.

As I said ...the areas OK.

Crooks

Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeykid View Post
stick to comments about how great rocky point is - you haven't said that in a thread for 5min.
lol:d

Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
lol:d

Thats was pretty funny

I make no apologies...I love my little town.

Crooks

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
I grew up in that area. It's always been working class, as of the last 15 years it has seen a very large influx of illegal immigrants, either who live in illegal rentals there or in neighboring towns. Drive down portion road around rush hour, between 83 and Nichols road, and you will see. Take it for what it's worth, they come here to work, send money home, then most eventually leave. I've seen the same issue in other towns on LI and upstate NY (Mt. Kisco? ). There are areas like this all over the country.

The neighborhood in particular that you are looking in is pretty much the best area in Farmingville. The schools are decent..Sachem SD is middle of the road for Long Island, above average for the US. You can do worse, you could do better, but maybe not at 300K.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I grew up in that area. It's always been working class, as of the last 15 years it has seen a very large influx of illegal immigrants, either who live in illegal rentals there or in neighboring towns. Drive down portion road around rush hour, between 83 and Nichols road, and you will see. Take it for what it's worth, they come here to work, send money home, then most eventually leave. I've seen the same issue in other towns on LI and upstate NY (Mt. Kisco? ). There are areas like this all over the country.

The neighborhood in particular that you are looking in is pretty much the best area in Farmingville. The schools are decent..Sachem SD is middle of the road for Long Island, above average for the US. You can do worse, you could do better, but maybe not at 300K.
Agreed.

Crooks

Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
IMO the little area south of granny rd off oakdale av and neil is the nicest area of farmingville. To the OP, the area you are looking at is is just north of that area and is fine. I wouldnt worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island