Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM

53 posts, read 163,229 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot for your feedback....I went yesterday and see the house again...I really like this little section of Farmingville..Looks really diferent (much better) vs West Side of 83...I feel safe there...

The 2 schools (High School and Tecumset) near to the Town of Brookhaven are nice,clean,quiet,etc.

I like to ride Mountain Bike (MTB) and Glacier Ridge (Next TOB) is there...

I saw one house north of Granny Road (Oakdale Ave) but is out of my budget...My budget is up to $300K.

I saw some houses at Centereach and Selden but like more this one at Farmingville...In some cases some houses were better on CEntereach and Selden but this specific section of Farmingville looks more nice and relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:31 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,064,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaxtreme View Post
Thanks a lot for your feedback....I went yesterday and see the house again...I really like this little section of Farmingville..Looks really diferent (much better) vs West Side of 83...I feel safe there...

The 2 schools (High School and Tecumset) near to the Town of Brookhaven are nice,clean,quiet,etc.

I like to ride Mountain Bike (MTB) and Glacier Ridge (Next TOB) is there...

I saw one house north of Granny Road (Oakdale Ave) but is out of my budget...My budget is up to $300K.

I saw some houses at Centereach and Selden but like more this one at Farmingville...In some cases some houses were better on CEntereach and Selden but this specific section of Farmingville looks more nice and relax.
Most people who live in Farmingville will say that the "best" area in the town is the section West of Nicholls Rd (you can see it on Walter's map)... and I would tend to agree. You get real developments there with sewers and sidewalks.

The section you're looking in is nice, but it's smack on the Patch/Med border and I just realized you had a price listed. I would carefully consider paying 300k for a ranch over there. You should be able to begin looking at the fixer up colonials (and there's quite a bunch in that section) when you get into that price range.

The general hit on that area is going to be the immigrants... They congregate all along Portion Rd with a good concentration at the 7-11 on the corner of Rte 83 and Portion. What will become of that gas station across the way makes me wonder... Anyway, you'll see these day laborers all down Rte 83 and going in both directions on Portion Rd. What you have to keep in perspective is that these people are not going to pistol whip you and jack your car. As detailed in the movie that Crooks so likes to use as summing up Farmingville - the ire is directed AT the day laborers, not the other way around. They're the ones who have to worry about "safety"... That is an extremely important distinction since these people should not be compared with a bunch of gang bangers on a street corner.

Illegal immigration and day labor is a big issue...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 AM

13,547 posts, read 17,110,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Most people who live in Farmingville will say that the "best" area in the town is the section West of Nicholls Rd (you can see it on Walter's map)... and I would tend to agree. You get real developments there with sewers and sidewalks.

The section you're looking in is nice, but it's smack on the Patch/Med border and I just realized you had a price listed. I would carefully consider paying 300k for a ranch over there. You should be able to begin looking at the fixer up colonials (and there's quite a bunch in that section) when you get into that price range.

The general hit on that area is going to be the immigrants... They congregate all along Portion Rd with a good concentration at the 7-11 on the corner of Rte 83 and Portion. What will become of that gas station across the way makes me wonder... Anyway, you'll see these day laborers all down Rte 83 and going in both directions on Portion Rd. What you have to keep in perspective is that these people are not going to pistol whip you and jack your car. As detailed in the movie that Crooks so likes to use as summing up Farmingville - the ire is directed AT the day laborers, not the other way around. They're the ones who have to worry about "safety"... That is an extremely important distinction since these people should not be compared with a bunch of gang bangers on a street corner.

Illegal immigration and day labor is a big issue...
There have been 2 or 3 incidents of violence against illegal immigrants in the last 10 years in Farmingville and adjacent areas. While there haven't been any highly publicized incidents of violence in Farmingville that go the other way, there has been all kinds of violence in other parts of the Island perpetrated by illegal immigrants, including gang attacks by MS13. Central Americans are the prime recruits of MS13. What will happen when the day laborer jobs dry up in this economy? They'll all go home? Maybe, maybe not. It's not quite tip-toeing through the tulips as you describe it..of course, it's not nearly as BAD as the anti-immigrant fire breathers will tell you either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island