Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp View Post
I just want to add I make around 75 K as a CPA Accountant. From my own calcu I can't seem to have enough to buy a house and that's with a 200k down payment on a house (600k house) and live in Jericho. As i am desperate for a good school for my duaghter.

"Desperate" for a good school for your daughter includes a long list of about 30 districts that are very good. With 200k down you could buy something nice in a very good district without having to drop 600k in an overinflated area like Jericho. Why not look in Plainview/Old Bethpage, etc...??

To the OP, being out east at BNL would open up far more housing options, but the difference in cost of living would still be significant. Rocky Point is a nice suggestion, and there are a large number of areas that fit your requirements of good schools, more of a sense of community, etc. You can not take blanket statements about Long Island being "full of snobs" for example as truth, given the island is about 120 miles long. Your experience will vary from town to town and community to community. If you do come, and can balance the financials, renting to figure things out first is a nice option. Allowing 45-60 minutes for a commute, which would probably not even be necessary, leaves a large amount of towns open for consideration. Good luck in your research (and in figuring out the cost of living).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
"Desperate" for a good school for your daughter includes a long list of about 30 districts that are very good. With 200k down you could buy something nice in a very good district without having to drop 600k in an overinflated area like Jericho. Why not look in Plainview/Old Bethpage, etc...??
I agree with you totally.... some districts are more overpriced than others.
I know we all want the best education for our kids, but sometimes we need a reality check.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM

748 posts, read 2,889,420 times
Jay.. do not be discouraged by the listing prices. Homes are sometimes listed for much higher than what the market could offer. Remember, you can put in an offer for less than 600k if you wish. In this economy, there are a lot people desperate to sell. Jericho residents are generally more wealthy, and can probably hold out longer, but even here, you cannot tell.

Look into Syosset and other nearby districts where you can get something in 400's. Holding out for one district might not be very good. Even though avg test scores in Jericho is slightly higher, the schools are still excellent and offer similar quality of education.

Quote:
I just want to add I make around 75 K as a CPA Accountant. From my own calcu I can't seem to have enough to buy a house and that's with a 200k down payment on a house (600k house) and live in Jericho. As i am desperate for a good school for my duaghter.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM

108 posts, read 295,772 times
thanks for the helpful comments. I am certainly looking at other districts, I am just not very happy about the schools in the metro NYC.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
You do not need to pay $600K for a middle class home in a good school district. Stop drinking the kool aid they are serving on LI. The LI housing price kool aid has been laying around for a couple of years and has mold in it. You can buy a house for way less and have a good quality of life (including a much more affordable mortgage payment).

Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,518,481 times
I work at BNL...but am not affiliated with the lab (I work for NOAA). there are at least a half a dozen great areas within 20 min of both BNL and SUNY SB that are among the least expensive on the island.

You mentioned your husbands salary...would it be the same here, or is there a cost of living adjustment? Aside from taxes you are probably going from one of the least expensive housing market to one of the most expensive. But it is doable.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions...but the lab itself is quite nice, and they have a housing desk that can answer a lot of your questions.

The Island is not full of snobs by the way...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
In the 300's and 400's you can find many houses.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,318 times
Don't do it. Long Island is way overpriced. Enjoy your life upstate or seriously consider the possibility of moving to another state.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM

130 posts, read 536,204 times
I had a nephew who made in the 60's as a beginner electrician, he was on the union. They bought a starter home in Shoreham, Long Island. After a year or two of struggling with two little ones, aged 1 and 3, they moved to rural Pa. because they couldn't make a go of it. She, the wife, worked from home. I would say that isn't enough income to make a go of it here, as other posters have said, it is also the utilities which are huge here vs. other parts of the country. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:54 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I had a nephew who made in the 60's as a beginner electrician, he was on the union. They bought a starter home in Shoreham, Long Island. After a year or two of struggling with two little ones, aged 1 and 3, they moved to rural Pa. because they couldn't make a go of it. She, the wife, worked from home. I would say that isn't enough income to make a go of it here, as other posters have said, it is also the utilities which are huge here vs. other parts of the country. Best of luck to you.
Its not just utilities.... every single category is more expensive here than most of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island