Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM

9,940 posts, read 23,314,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
The single most important advantage that it gives you is a step by step reduction in the prices of the homes....
For example, other real estate sites might give you minimal information like....
Original List price : 400k
Current asking price: 320k..... and thats it....

But here, you can see the dates when the prices moved down from 400k to 380k... then to 350k... then to 335k and then to 320k.... so on and so forth.... we all have to agree that it definitely assists the buyers more than the sellers. And that information is pretty up to date maybe a week old at most I think....

All, in all I think buyers will appreciate it, and people who are negatively impacted will whine about it.... as it always goes ! As a prospective buyer I appreciate the efforts and its a good start to give the buyers more "information" rather than raw data and to give them some means to come to a conclusion on how to act. The only other alternative is to read the media and hear the realtors talk about where the market is headed... so all in all I think its a pleasant change !
If you use a Buyer Agent, you will get the same information and more - because the Buyer Agent represents/works for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,597,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
What Realtors don't want you to know about Long Island Housing

this was linked by Longislandcitizen previously and i can't thank you enough!!!

i thought i'd re-share it and perhaps see what everyone thinks.

like, who is this guy and can we give him the LI real estate's equivalent to the Nobel Peace Prize?

His site is just great. I mean, he does put LI down a lot, so be prepared, but all in all, it seems like such a great resource to first time home buyers.
I'm glad to help. These sites have been instrumental for me to stay informed and restrained in this market. If you enjoyed that link here is another HIGHLY RECOMMENDED site. A must read.

The Sheeple's Guide To Buying A House

Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 PM

138 posts, read 272,075 times
No offense to the realtors on this board, but what this guy writes regarding buyers agents makes complete sense to me.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,372,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If you use a Buyer Agent, you will get the same information and more - because the Buyer Agent represents/works for you!
That is totally true and I don't think we are disputing that, whats amazing is that you can get that information even without a Buyers Agent

Agreed.... for the serious people who are in the market to buy... it not advisable to just rely on the website, but before people become serious, lots of buyers just dabble around not knowing what to look for.... this gives them some pattern at least in the area they are looking for.... and thats a huge help in understanding past market history rather than just looking at the list price on MLS.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:49 PM

108 posts, read 359,508 times
thanks for the 2nd link. and i agree, it makes a lot of sense to me too.
funny thing, i just tried sharing the link on lifamilies . c o m and it was blanked out.
there must have been complaints over there i suppose too.
what ever happened to good ole freedom of text?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,814,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
No offense to the realtors on this board, but what this guy writes regarding buyers agents makes complete sense to me.
No offence tanken. I was just questioning his motivation. No one spend that much time developing a site like that without an angenda. He does not seem to identify himself anywhere on it or what his conflicts of interest may be.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,625,955 times
Looking at it from a realistic point of view, a buyer can have or bring a gazillion pieces of information, statistics, maps, what-have-you from this guy's site and/or anywhere else, to support their offer.... BUT let's face it: It's the seller who has the final say! A buyer (or a buyer agent) can talk till they are blue in the face -- right, wrong, or indifferent -- but if the seller is not willing (or is not in a financial position) to come down to what the buyer is offering, then there will be no deal. All the statistics, opinions, etc in the world will not change that scenario for that seller's house.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
BUT let's face it: It's the seller who has the final say! A buyer (or a buyer agent) can talk till they are blue in the face -- right, wrong, or indifferent -- but if the seller is not willing (or is not in a financial position) to come down to what the buyer is offering, then there will be no deal. All the statistics, opinions, etc in the world will not change that scenario for that seller's house.
LOL...And you can try to sell me a 1976 Baby blue ford pinto for $50,000
and I bet you I won't buy it!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,625,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL...And you can try to sell me a 1976 Baby blue ford pinto for $50,000
and I bet you I won't buy it!
Not even if it comes with an exploding gas tank? LOL Wow, you sure are hard to please...

Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 AM

Your latest links

Yet again another bad month.

No Relief From Home-Price Drops - WSJ.com

No Relief From Home-Price Drops - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island