Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltimeny View Post
Well all you need to do is find out what school districts are covered by Western Suffolk BOCES and which school districts are covered by Eastern Suffolk BOCES and then you will know what is west and what is east in Suffolk County. As far as Nassau, your guess is as good as mine...
BOCES should not be used as a delimiter.
Sachem is in Eastern BOCES but is in part of 3 of the 5 western towns of Suffolk. (Islip, Smithtown and Brookhaven)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsgoat View Post
Where 25 ceases to be called Jericho Turnpike,
Where do you consider that to be? Officially, I think the name Jericho Turnpike ends where 25 and 25A merge at the Smithtown Bull. From there to 111, it's Main Street, and east of 111, it's Middle Country Road. But colloquially, people still call it Jericho Turnpike, even east of 111. Also, there are some street signs east of 111 calling it Jericho Turnpike, and some businesses east of there use a Jericho Turnpike address. It seems to be very inconsistent.

Does anyone know where the easternmost street sign labeling that road as Jericho Turnpike is? I assume businesses can choose to use either Jericho Turnpike, Middle Country Road, or Main Street in their street address.

In any case, Smithtown is clearly western Suffolk.

Quote:
the Northern and Southern Parkways end,
The Northern State Parkway ends in Hauppauge, and the Southern State Parkway ends in East Islip. I'd consider both to be western Suffolk; Hauppauge for sure. Techncially, the Southern State Parkway ends at the Sagtikos Parkway (clearly western Suffolk) and east of there is officially the Hecksher Parkway. But most signs sign it as the Southern Parkway even east of there.

Quote:
and where 27a becomes a county road.
That is in Oakdale, which I would still consider to be western Suffolk, but you could maybe make a valid argument for that.

On another note, where exactly is the name change between Merrick Road and Montauk Highway? That too seems to be very inconsistent.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 AM

149 posts, read 360,212 times
The BOCES posts were hilarious. According to that, you consider the Islip area to be Eastern Suffolk? From Islip to the Nassau border is like 15-20 minutes are you nuts? From Islip to Riverhead is probably like 45 minutes at least. This is why there needs to be a 3rd county...to settle this stuff once and for all. Suffolk is huge, so it's very subjective to say what's out east, central, or west. Just make it Nassau, Suffolk, and some 3rd Eastern county beginning in like Shirley. This way people from Nassau can say they are from Western LI, people from Suffolk can say they are from Central LI, and people from the 3rd county can say they are from Eastern LI. By the way, I just checked and Islip is definitely considered Eastern Suffolk BOCES territory. Next time you watch a weather forecast, look on the map where it says "Islip". It's clear as day Western Suffolk no questions asked. I have said months ago that it's dumb to have "Eastern Suffolk BOCES" in Western Suffolk and that they should have a Central Suffolk to clear it up and make sense. People think I'm nuts for these posts, yet people on here prove my point...that many people completely exaggerate geography on LI whether it be further than it really is, or closer than it really is. Move anywhere in rural states, and being within 30-45 minutes of anywhere means that place is convenient. On LI people think it's like flying to Saudi Arabia.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Once it was the Meadowbrook,then 135,110,112 now I think its around the Wm Floyd.

What do you guys think?

Where is the East/West Line for LI?

Crooks
Ends at Massapequa and begins at Amityville.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,812 times
so, if im montauk highway and on the eastern part of 110, im in western long island?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
I would say Nicolls Rd

Once you go east of Nicolls Rd, things generally start to take on an "exurb/outer-suburb type of vibe" since there's lots of new housing and generally less dense.

Most of western suffolk doesn't really look much different than Nassau County except for having slightly larger lot sizes.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 AM

730 posts, read 1,301,918 times
IMHO, the problem is that for some of us "eastern Long Island" basically means that it takes more than 15 or 20 minutes to get to the nearest large mall, LOL

I've lived on LI all of my 60-plus years and can remember when "eastern" meant anything east of Route 110.

Nowadays, to me "eastern" LI means Calverton and points east on the north shore, or anything past Patchogue on the south shore.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
The center is around the selden,centerach, and coram areas. So anything from Middle Island and Rocky Point and parts east would probably qualify as eastern LI.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 PM

156 posts, read 219,183 times
You can't just divide it into "Western" and "Eastern"

Western ends at the 135, maybe a little west of that even.

Eastern probably starts in between the Sagtikos and Nicholls.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:12 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
If I had to divide Long Island into Eastern LI and Western LI then:
I would actually put it at Route 112. At this point, both the main highways (LIE and Sunrise Hwy) lose a lane and take on a more rural appearance. The housing stock also tends to be a lot newer beyond this point and it's a much more laid back exurbian feel.

If I had to divide Long Island into Western LI, Central LI and Eastern LI then:
Western LI would end at the Route 111 since this is when commutes to Manhattan become way too ridiculous for the overwhelming majority of people and the vast majority prefer to work out on LI; both the SSP and NSP also end around this point (having all 4 major roadways is a symbol of the LI inner-suburbs in my opinion) and it starts to lose that denser inner-suburban feel. Central LI would be between the Route 111 Pkwy and Wading River Road. And Eastern LI is beyond this point.

Also remember that Nassau County is not that big geographically so lumping in parts of Suffolk with it is not that outlandish of a notion.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-30-2015 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island