Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 PM

61 posts, read 152,854 times

Advertisements

One agent told me a "Traditional" home is a type of "Colonial", while another "Traditional" home looked like a "Ranch" or a "Split Ranch" to me. Anyone out there who can clarify this please? Thank you ahead of time.

Last edited by Railmomma; 02-05-2009 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railmomma View Post
One agent told me a "Traditional" home is a type of "Colonial", while another "Traditional" home looked like a "Ranch" or a "Split Ranch" to me. Anyone out there who can clarify this please? Thank you ahead of time.
Generally, a "traditional" home is a 2-story house which most closely resembles a Colonial. Certain architectural details may make it a "traditional" rather than a "colonial" or "2-story" home. In hilly terrain (not uncommon on the North Shore LOL) the front could potential resemble a ranch or split, by virtue of the uneven grade of the land, and the back would look like a "traditional" 2-story house...

Does this help?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,979,491 times
I look at those McMansions, and I can't believe that you can, in some cases, reach out and, literally TOUCH the next house !

In addition, we regularly pass by on our weekly chores, on those retirement homes WITH TWO FLOORS ! I just don't get THAT either !

Knowing, or rather suspecting, how "cheaply" these homes have to be put together.....NOT ME !

I wouldn't be able to take it !

Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM

Thank you Elke Mariotti Ok, that makes sense. However, I must ask this. The house is listed as a "traditional", but when I had the Engineer (who happens to be an architect) look at the house, the report came back describing it as a "ranch". It is in a hilly area by the way. Any Architects out there able to explain the architectural details that make a house "traditional". I just want to learn about my new house.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
I look at those McMansions, and I can't believe that you can, in some cases, reach out and, literally TOUCH the next house !

In addition, we regularly pass by on our weekly chores, on those retirement homes WITH TWO FLOORS ! I just don't get THAT either !

Knowing, or rather suspecting, how "cheaply" these homes have to be put together.....NOT ME !

I wouldn't be able to take it !
I know what you mean about many of the newer homes. I've seen so many homes in the last month that were clearly built in the "cookie cutter express method". On top of that so many lack character. I feel very fortunate to have found the house that I've found, but geez did it take a lot of work!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,342,566 times
Default "Traditional" Home Style

When I read your question, I was curious also about what is a "traditional" because I hadn't heard that term used except when referring to interior decorating. So I looked up some guides to home styles to see if I could find it, but I didn't. If you look through these webpages you could find something similar to the house by picture and get more of an idea of what the house's style is called by reading the text.

Home Style Guide - Home Styles and Home Architecture
about.com has a comprehensive guide. You will even find an official listing for "McMansion" under the "Neo" Home Styles (1965-present) category.

Architectural Styles of America Home Page
Architectural Styles of America Home Page
Lots of pics here of houses from all over the country.

Residential Styles Main Page (http://www.realtor.org/rmoarchitecture_guide/residentialstyles - broken link)
Realtor magazine's guide for real estate agents.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,560 times
"Traditional" and "Post-Modern" are both current catchwords that many realtors use to describe any 2-story house that (a) can't be described as a "Contemporary" and (b) doesn't accurately fit into any other recognized architectural category. Many McMansions/Mini-Macs are described that way.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM

20,176 posts, read 20,953,859 times
Traditonal=Don't know exactly what it is

Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,771,730 times
There really is no "traditional" style. Many agents use it to describe an older colonial, especially if it has some classic features, such as chair rails, moulding, and wide plank floors.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
There really is no "traditional" style. Many agents use it to describe an older colonial, especially if it has some classic features, such as chair rails, moulding, and wide plank floors.
I agree with the "classic features" comment, Tom, but not quite with the reference to "older" colonials--there are currently quite a number of available listings in Suffolk County which refer to a "traditional" house as description, but were built within the last few years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island