Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,848 times

Advertisements

Ok so here's my ? When I worked in re years ago the going commission was 6% 3 to listing agent and 3 to selling agent.

We are getting ready to have a few agents come in and do a cma for us...Since I am so out of the re loop and home prices have more than doubled since I left the business I am curious as to what the typical commission is?

Also, I know that it doesnt necessarily benefit you but what is your honest opinion about those re companies that you pay a couple hundred dollars to for a fee to have your home put on MLS ? I know advertising and drawing attention to the property is all on our part, but was curious if agents stay away from these listings, do you have a problem when you see them listed with these agencies, or does it not matter?

And lastly, how likely are agents to show homes that are for sale by owner that are willing to pay the sellers commision?

I'm not trying to bump anyone's occupation because I did work in re for over 10 years and I know those that do well are very hard working people in a trying field....but as a struggling homeowner, I cannot help but look for ways to get what needs done and also try to get the most for my home while saving the equity that we've built into it....

I may go any of the 3 ways, but am trying to get all the best information to see which may be our best option.

I thank you in advance for your honest opinions.

Thank you

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,604,021 times
We have been seeing most commissions at 4%, although there is at least one company that charges 5%. We've also been told by our buyer agent that some companies have a sliding scale for commissions, in which the commission is lower if your house sells within a certain number of days but slowly increases the longer your house remains on the market. I don't know if this is true, so maybe some of the realtors here can shed more light on that practice if it does exist.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,766,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Ok so here's my ? When I worked in re years ago the going commission was 6% 3 to listing agent and 3 to selling agent.

We are getting ready to have a few agents come in and do a cma for us...Since I am so out of the re loop and home prices have more than doubled since I left the business I am curious as to what the typical commission is?:
Figure on paying 4% to 5%. Commissions have been increasing lately as it is getting harder to sell homes.

Quote:
Also, I know that it doesnt necessarily benefit you but what is your honest opinion about those re companies that you pay a couple hundred dollars to for a fee to have your home put on MLS ? I know advertising and drawing attention to the property is all on our part, but was curious if agents stay away from these listings, do you have a problem when you see them listed with these agencies, or does it not matter?:
I think that these companies are a waste of time for both the homeowner and the real estate salespeople. I try to avoid them and so should you.

Quote:
And lastly, how likely are agents to show homes that are for sale by owner that are willing to pay the sellers commision?
:
Not a chance. With so many homes on the multiple listing service there is no need for us to show FSBO homes. When a home is listed, agents know that the legal framework is in place that affords certain protections to the agent and the buyer, so those are the homes that we prefer to show.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Figure on paying 4% to 5%. Commissions have been increasing lately as it is getting harder to sell homes.

I think that these companies are a waste of time for both the homeowner and the real estate salespeople. I try to avoid them and so should you.

Not a chance. With so many homes on the multiple listing service there is no need for us to show FSBO homes. When a home is listed, agents know that the legal framework is in place that affords certain protections to the agent and the buyer, so those are the homes that we prefer to show.
"A few CMA's"...oy....and will she pick the one that gives the highest CMA price?..drum roll please...lol

Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,848 times
Default Are u kiddin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
"A few CMA's"...oy....and will she pick the one that gives the highest CMA price?..drum roll please...lol

First of all, any homeowner who is contemplating or in the process of selling has all of these ?'s.....there are so many options and all must be weighed.

And I appreciate all of Toms honest answers....that is all I was looking for.....the thought process of an agent....

Now in regards to the cma......why wouldn't you have more than one agent come in? Is it smart to go with the first person or thing you see or educate yourself and find what fits right and is the best decision for you.

I would never sign with the first agent I met, I would need to hear from another and do some comparisons......its not just about the price quoted but how they plan to market the property and how I feel about them......I could absolutely wind up with that agent, but would it really be in our best interest to not make sure this agent is the right fit....

I think its ridiculous for you to assume that I am a greedy homeowner.....and is pretty stupid on your part to make a comment like that......I know what my home is worth but obviously need to see what the real estate experts feel....and how they would go about marketing it....I'm smart enough to know that if I want to sell it going with the highest listing price doesnt mean squat and will probably just allow my home to sit on the market longer than we want....

I am realistic, and was looking for honest opinions not stupid comments....

Again Tom, I appreciate you answers.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island