Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 PM

12 posts, read 60,775 times

Advertisements

I've been asking a lot of questions lately and there is one I want us to regroup and discuss. Elmont? What are your views and concerns about the area.

Particularly the section from Norfeld Blvd to Dutch Broadway (around Dutch Broadway School)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Elmont

It may be helpful to you to know the geography of Elmont ...

For those who may not be familiar with Elmont:

Elmont is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau/NYC (Queens County) line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Elmont in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Bellerose Terrace, the Village of Floral Park, the Village of South Floral Park and the Village of Stewart Manor; on the east by the Hamlet of Franklin Square; on the south by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau/Queens County line).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Elmont-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Elmont has a different border than does the "Elmont, NY 11003" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Elmont and a place can be in the Hamlet of Elmont and have other than an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address): places that have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Elmont are in the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Elmont that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address..

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Hamlet of Elmont has a different border than does the "Elmont, NY 11003" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Elmont and a place can be in the Hamlet of Elmont and have other than an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address): places that have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Elmont are in the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Elmont that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address..
That's a little off...how are you determining these zip code boundaries? The only parts of Elmont that don't have a 11003 zip code are in the northeast corner and they are "Floral Park, NY 11001". Places that aren't in the hamlet and do have a 11003 zip code are, as you said Franklin Square, but also a large portion of North Valley Stream. There are no places in Elmont with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580" zip code at all.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Seanx4 I always read your comments very informative do you have any views on that area?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess22 View Post
Seanx4 I always read your comments very informative do you have any views on that area?
Thanks Tess! I've only ever driven through before, there's usually cheap gas on Linden Boulevard near the parkway. It looks nice though, nicer than most other parts of Elmont I've seen - and yes, that area is officially in Elmont. I like those types of half brick/half siding cape homes that are so common throughout the area and in central/eastern Queens. Typical 1940s suburbs, Levittown type areas before Levittown existed...seems like the neighborhood is well maintained, and not in a gaudy disgusting way like some similar homes are in Rosedale/Laurelton.

I couldn't really tell you what the feel of the community is like or how the people are there, don't know enough. I also can't give you any firsthand info on Elmont schools, but I've done a bunch of research on the district and think it gets a very unfair rep considering it is academically on par with several well regarded districts nearby. It's pretty much universally panned by anyone outside of it.

If you search through older threads, you'll come across a few debates over Elmont schools. I'd give a link but I'm on my ancient 15 year old computer right now and it's too slow to have multiple windows open!

EDIT: Ok, switched to something a little more modern! Here's all the threads I've participated in regarding Elmont schools, hope you find something in there that's helpful:
Nice Suburbs bordering Queens and Long Island?
middle class african amer. neigh.
South Floral Park vs. Franklin Square

I'm not sure if students in that part of Elmont would attend Elmont Memorial or Sewanhaka HS.

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 12-04-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default Belmont Park

The best part of Elmont is Belmont Park. Truly a historic facility that is a hidden gem, the best sports facility in the New York Metro area. From Man o War to Secretariat to Affirmed/Alydar to Smarty Jones some of the greatest moments in New York sports history have happened at Belmont. Unlike the taxpayer parasites being built in Flushing and the Bronx Belmont actually contributes to the tax base. The players are not conceited millionaire primadonnas but hard working beings that get paid in oats and hay.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:58 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
I grew up in Elmont and I too think it gets a very unfair rap. However, the Elmont public schools were just added to the official list of failing schools on LI. That is a big drawback to the area.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I grew up in Elmont and I too think it gets a very unfair rap. However, the Elmont public schools were just added to the official list of failing schools on LI. That is a big drawback to the area.
If you're referring to the Newsday list, I looked into the methodology behind their reasoning for placing schools on that list and finally got to the bottom of it....and it's just as much bull as I figured it was.

The data they used was from the Accountability and Overview Report published each year by New York State Testing and Accountability Reporting. First, though, I'd like to point out that the Elmont School District is an elementary district (K-6) that covers parts of Elmont, South Floral Park, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, North Valley Stream and Stewart Manor. Grades 7-12 are in the Sewanhaka district, either Elmont Memorial HS or Sewanhaka HS. This district was not on the list. More importantly, however...the sole reason Elmont SD was placed on that list was because it was listed, for the first time ever, in '06-'07 as being "IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT" in teaching English to students with limited English proficiency (ESL) in the Adequate Yearly Progress portion of the study. That's it. It performed well and received a passing grade in every other category, of which there are close to a hundred.

You can view the full data here for yourself: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0216020000.pdf

Seems like very lazy reporting on the part of Newsday to me. There are billions of other more relevant criteria that school districts could be assessed on. I guess if your kid can't speak English, Elmont is not a good choice.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 AM

35 posts, read 126,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
If you're referring to the Newsday list, I looked into the methodology behind their reasoning for placing schools on that list and finally got to the bottom of it....and it's just as much bull as I figured it was.

The data they used was from the Accountability and Overview Report published each year by New York State Testing and Accountability Reporting. First, though, I'd like to point out that the Elmont School District is an elementary district (K-6) that covers parts of Elmont, South Floral Park, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, North Valley Stream and Stewart Manor. Grades 7-12 are in the Sewanhaka district, either Elmont Memorial HS or Sewanhaka HS. This district was not on the list. More importantly, however...the sole reason Elmont SD was placed on that list was because it was listed, for the first time ever, in '06-'07 as being "IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT" in teaching English to students with limited English proficiency (ESL) in the Adequate Yearly Progress portion of the study. That's it. It performed well and received a passing grade in every other category, of which there are close to a hundred.

You can view the full data here for yourself: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0216020000.pdf

Seems like very lazy reporting on the part of Newsday to me. There are billions of other more relevant criteria that school districts could be assessed on. I guess if your kid can't speak English, Elmont is not a good choice.
I always appreciate you your post and how you always have an open mind on things. Being in a good school district doesn't hurt, but how well your kids do still comes down to good parenting and being involved with your kids

Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks seanx4 great post. This is why I think 'bad" SD is subjective especially on this forum. Some people flat out dislike certain neighbourhoods and try their best to sway others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island