Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 35,400 times

Advertisements

can somebody please tell me what is considered manhasset hills specifically what block it starts and what blocks it ends. I am aware that it is herricks schools and new hyde park zip code but as a future home buyer i am seeing alot of homes that are new hyde park and the real estate or home sellers are listing it as manhasset hills in order to make it more prestigious. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Manhasset Hills is a real place (a hamlet and census-designated place in the Town of North Hempstead), however lacking a postal code bearing it's name.

Here's a map of the exact boundaries:

A little too snooty for it's own good, IMO.....but that's just IMO!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 35,400 times
thank you for your reply. if your map is 100% correct than the homes on mlsli listed on north st and west st are not really manhasset hills. I don't understand how real estates can list homes and say it is in a certain neighborhood and them not really be.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,673 times
Manhasset Hills isn't terribly prestigious itself, if a lot of money is concentrated there, it's probably because not more than one nouveau-riche dude thought it was "just a part of Manhasset". Does it even border "legit" Manhasset?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
Depends what you mean by "legit". It doesn't border the hamlet of Manhasset. It does border the Village of North Hills, which MLS considers Manhasset and which is Manhasset SD. People who are unfamiliar with the area might consider all of that "Manhasset"; residents probably don't. I don't think you could consider North Hills to be less prestigious than the hamlet of Manhasset. I think it may even be more expensive.

I wouldn't call Manhasset Hills "prestigious" in the sense that North Hills is, but it's a nice area.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
The "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone is one of the more confusing areas on Long Island: about 8 out of every 10 places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) are NOT in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres).

All or parts of the following 8 communities (3 villages and 5 hamlets) are within the borders of the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone and hence places in these 8 communities have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address:

....Village of Lake Success, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of North Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Herricks, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Garden City Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead & Town of Hempstead

Old 10-26-2008, 02:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Depends what you mean by "legit". It doesn't border the hamlet of Manhasset. It does border the Village of North Hills, which MLS considers Manhasset and which is Manhasset SD. People who are unfamiliar with the area might consider all of that "Manhasset"; residents probably don't. I don't think you could consider North Hills to be less prestigious than the hamlet of Manhasset. I think it may even be more expensive.

I wouldn't call Manhasset Hills "prestigious" in the sense that North Hills is, but it's a nice area.
I am not from LI (I live in the City), but I have visited that area of Nassau County and must say that Manhasset Hills at least appears to be an extremely affluent area, and judging from the home prices in the area, homebuyers MUST be affluent to be able to afford the $800,000-$1,200,000 pricetags that I see on those homes!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:02 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
It's not cheap, but even those pricetags are substantially less than those on houses in some neighboring areas.

A lot of people in the older sections of these neighborhoods will have bought some time ago, and paid substantially less for their homes (less relative to average incomes, too). They're now cashing in on the value they built up over 30 years.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,875 times
Default HEY Walter, is there not a part of NHP in Queens with a 11040 zip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone is one of the more confusing areas on Long Island: about 8 out of every 10 places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) are NOT in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres).

All or parts of the following 8 communities (3 villages and 5 hamlets) are within the borders of the "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code postal zone and hence places in these 8 communities have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address:

....Village of Lake Success, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of North Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Herricks, Town of North Hempstead
....Hamlet of Garden City Park, Town of North Hempstead
....Village of New Hyde Park, Town of North Hempstead & Town of Hempstead

I thought there was a part of New Hyde Park in Queens with a 11040 zip code? Can you confirm?

Old 10-26-2008, 05:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I thought there was a part of New Hyde Park in Queens with a 11040 zip code? Can you confirm?
Yeah a very tiny triangle shaped portion of Queens has the 11040 zip code. Some people call it Glen Oaks, but I think it's more commonly referred to as New Hyde Park. Same situation as Floral Park, which is both a neighborhood in Queens and a village in Nassau. I'm not sure exactly why this happened, but it's probably because these post offices predated the separation of Nassau from Queens County.

mt27 - As you probably noticed from that map, the borders of hamlets/villages/cities in NY can be pretty wacky, so there is some confusion to say the least - especially when it's a place that doesn't have it's own P.O. I'd say most people aren't even aware of Manhasset Hills' status as a hamlet, and it's likely thought of as a "neighborhood within New Hyde Park" but I'm not sure, that seems to be the case most places on LI. Try to find listings for Herricks on MLSLI.com (which is where North Rd. is located) - you won't find it!

AlexisT - Isn't North Hills almost entirely condos and co-ops now? I know years ago it was a very ritzy, gold coast type area....but every time I drive through there now it seems like more and more gated communities sprout up. All these areas (Manhasset Hills, North Hills, Searingtown, Herricks) are definitely "nice" areas but personally I don't see what the big deal is. I think it's waaaayyy overpriced. I know the schools are supposedly great, but $150-$200k better than surrounding areas? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island