Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 PM

7 posts, read 35,404 times

Advertisements

thanks sean sean. the block is acutally norths st. and i was told by the real estate that it is 100 percent manhasset hills otherwise they would not be able to list it. but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,652 times
My parents live in Manhasset Hills (and have been for 20+ years). It's a very nice area with larger homes than what is found in a good portion of the 11040 district, which in part explains the higher prices. Though they don't have a large lot by most standards (?0.28 acres on average), size of backyards in MH are also larger than most in NHP. Lastly, MH is part of the Herricks school district (whereas many parts of NHP are not) which is still considered a strong school district and certainly contributes to the higher cost of homes. JMO though.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 PM

jma236 since your parents have lived there for 20 years is North st part of manhasset hills? thanks in advance

Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt27 View Post
thanks sean sean. the block is acutally norths st. and i was told by the real estate that it is 100 percent manhasset hills otherwise they would not be able to list it. but who knows.
That sounds like some BS to me, considering how inaccurate most real estate listings are I highly doubt there's any requirements like that....or if there are, they're probably not enforced whatsoever. MLSLI doesn't have some official places on it (like Herricks) yet does have neighborhoods/loosely defined places like North Baldwin.

If you wanna be absolutely sure, punch the address into the Census Bureau's Fact Finder and the exact name will come up in the little box under "PLACE:". There is a North St in Herricks and a North Dr in Manhasset Hills, only a few blocks apart.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Herricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt27 View Post
the block is acutally norths st. and i was told by the real estate that it is 100 percent manhasset hills otherwise they would not be able to list it.

mt27, it would seem that your real estate person does not know of what they speak: according to the Nassau County Planning Commission, the Long Island Regional Planning Board and the Census Bureau, North Street is in the Hamlet of Herricks, which, as in the case of the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, does not have a same-named ZIP Code postal zone.

For those who may not be familiar with Herricks:

Herricks is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest section of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Herricks in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Searingtown; on the east by the Hamlet of Albertson; on the south by the Village of Mineola and the Hamlet of Garden City Park; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills (please note, until the 1990 federal census, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills was part of the Hamlet of Herricks).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Herricks-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Herricks is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Herricks have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040", "Roslyn, NY 11576" and "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 PM

thanks everybody. its amazing why they can list a house and put it in manhasset hills when its not. i was not aware that herricks is an area. i thought it was a school district

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Yeah a very tiny triangle shaped portion of Queens has the 11040 zip code. Some people call it Glen Oaks, but I think it's more commonly referred to as New Hyde Park. Same situation as Floral Park, which is both a neighborhood in Queens and a village in Nassau. I'm not sure exactly why this happened, but it's probably because these post offices predated the separation of Nassau from Queens County.

AlexisT - Isn't North Hills almost entirely condos and co-ops now? I know years ago it was a very ritzy, gold coast type area....but every time I drive through there now it seems like more and more gated communities sprout up. All these areas (Manhasset Hills, North Hills, Searingtown, Herricks) are definitely "nice" areas but personally I don't see what the big deal is. I think it's waaaayyy overpriced. I know the schools are supposedly great, but $150-$200k better than surrounding areas? I don't think so.
Glen Oaks is 11004 or 11005--can't really tell from the zip code map I have. The section of 11040 in Queens is LIJ and possibly a few surrounding blocks. (The front entrance of LIJ, on Lakeville Road, is in Nassau; most of the hospital is in Queens.)

North Hills has a fair few new condos and townhomes, but they are very expensive, not the kind of thing you might think of. (The new ones right next to the LIE are $1.2M. No, I can't afford to live there and wouldn't want to, but I was curious to find out how much they were overcharging.) Some of those gated developments (Stone Hill, Hamlet Estates, etc) are single family houses, huge ones.

In northwest Nassau, outside some ethnic pockets, you're basically paying for location. You can say you live in North Hills or Manhasset, and you get the commute times. There are some nice amenities (many of the villages or park districts have very nice facilities, with private pools or golf courses) but that's not really enough to pay those prices.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Glen Oaks is 11004 or 11005--can't really tell from the zip code map I have. The section of 11040 in Queens is LIJ and possibly a few surrounding blocks. (The front entrance of LIJ, on Lakeville Road, is in Nassau; most of the hospital is in Queens.)
Both of those zip codes are Glen Oaks, looking at a map real quick it looks like 11005 only covers North Shore Towers...but I'd also say 11426 (Bellerose) covers part of Glen Oaks as well. I'd put it's western border as the Cross Island Parkway. Very hard to tell where one NYC neighborhood ends and another begins, sometimes. NHP Queens would be part of LIJ and then the neighborhood bordered by the hospital, Glen Oaks Village and Union Turnpike. Closer to Nassau, it extends south of Union as well.

If you're commuting to Manhattan from North Hills/Manhasset Hills, I guess it helps to have the LIE right there, but I'd imagine you still have to get up just as early as everybody else or sit in traffic. Nearest LIRR station is New Hyde Park (maybe Manhasset for parts of North Hills) which is quite a hike from either, especially at rush hour. I'm not knocking it, I'm sure it's got a lot to offer....just amazed people are willing to pay that much to live there.

mt27 - You're not alone, Herricks (the hamlet) is a very little-known area despite the school district being one of the best regarded in Nassau. I wouldn't let Manhasset Hills vs. Herricks influence your decision one way or another. For all intents and purposes, they're the same exact thing.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Ironically, while Manhasset Hills may be better known than Herricks, until 1990, Manhasset Hills did not exist as a separate hamlet, but was part of the Hamlet of Herricks.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times
Glen Oaks Village is 10004, according to its website. Dang, I wish I had a Hagstrom map of Queens so I could check exactly which blocks of 11040 are in Queens. (Well, I have one, but it's in the backseat of my car.) From what I can see, 11040 in Queens seems to be LIJ, the 2 avenues between it and Union Turnpike and east of 263rd St, and a tiny sliver south of Union Turnpike.

I'll check my map tomorrow, though.

As for the traffic, my husband leaves at 6:30 to avoid it. The LIE in western Nassau is brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island