Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 36,521 times

Advertisements

those homes located on west and north are technically in new hyde park
but a different park of nhp.
this part of new hyde park is the herricks school district. so the homes are more expensive then your general homes in nhp because of the district.

so what your really buying is the district.

its a solid district, nice place to live in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by androniki View Post
those homes located on west and north are technically in new hyde park ... but a different park of nhp ... this part of new hyde park is the herricks school district.

You are confusing having a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) with being in New Hyde Park (531 acres): thus, about 8 out of every 10 places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" Code mailing address are NOT in the Village of New Hyde Park, and are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks and the Hamlet of Garden City Park.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the geographic misunderstandings caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Checked - the boundary of 11040 south of Union Tpke is 268th St.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,647 times
I'm not an expert, but I don't think North St is part of what I would consider Manhasset Hills. A friend of ours lives in that area and considers themselves to be in New Hyde Park. It is in the Herricks school district though. I want to say that Denton Ave is seen as a cut-off, but again not completely sure on the "real" definition.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma236 View Post
I'm not an expert, but I don't think North St is part of what I would consider Manhasset Hills. A friend of ours lives in that area and considers themselves to be in New Hyde Park.

jma236, you're right: North Street is not part of the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills; it's part of the Hamlet of Herricks.

Meanwhile your friend, like far too many, confuses the community listed in a place's mailing address with the actual community where that place is located. Only those properties located in the Village of New Hyde Park are in New Hyde Park; places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park -- and, these are the majority of places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address -- are in some other community, such as the Hamlet of Herricks.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
Default manhasset hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt27 View Post
can somebody please tell me what is considered manhasset hills specifically what block it starts and what blocks it ends. I am aware that it is herricks schools and new hyde park zip code but as a future home buyer i am seeing alot of homes that are new hyde park and the real estate or home sellers are listing it as manhasset hills in order to make it more prestigious. thanks in advance
I just came upon this thread and I wanted to clear a couple of things up since there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this area. First off the map posted by "SEAN SEAN SEAN" is absolutely correct so the real estate agent who told this buyer that North St is part of Manhasset Hills is INCORRECT. It is unfortunate that a lot of houses listed on MLSLI.com in Manhasset Hills are not in Manhasset Hills and so it is important for the buyer to check on their own because the resale value of the house will be affected.

If you spend a lot of time in this area you will realize that the general boundaries of Manhasset Hills are New Hyde Park Rd on the western border, Marcus Avenue on the southern border, Denton Avenue on the eastern border linking up with Old Courthouse road and the Links gated community on the northern border. Note that Links gated community is part of North Hills and NOT Manhasset Hills.

I will take the stance that houses are mistakenly listed in the Manhasset Hills section due to honest error because the eastern border is not a "straight line down" the map. Some homeowners may also be mistaken because if you drive south down Shelter Rock Rd and then make a right turn into Old Courthouse Rd there is a sign at that intersection that says "Welcome to Manhasset Hills" so you might easily assume that houses on both sides of Old Courthouse Rd is part of Manhasset Hills when the reality is that only the houses on the north side is Manhasset Hills up until Denton Avenue.

Manhasset Hills got their name because the early builders wanted to distinguish the houses and property as being more upscale like Manhasset and that section of New Hyde Park is at a higher geographic elevation compared to the surrounding area, hence the name. It was not an attempt to confuse buyers that they were buying in Manhasset as some would have suggested.

The town of New Hyde Park is served by three school systems all of which are well regarded. They are Great Neck South, Herricks and New Hyde Park School Districts. Although New Hyde Park School district may show lower standardardized test scores and graduation rates this is not reflective of New Hyde Park itself because New Hyde Park School District Schools are grouped together with schools in other neighborhoods (Floral Park and Elmont) to form the greater Sewanhaka School system.
Manhasset Hills itself is served by only Great Neck South and Herricks school districts and that is certainly a draw for prospective buyers.

Like other neighborhoods, even within Manhasset Hills there are sections that may be more desirable than others. The main roads that people use to get into Manhasset Hills are Old Courthouse Rd, Denton Avenue, Meadowfarm Rd and Executive Drive. Therefore, houses along these "busy" roads, although that is a relative term, are not as desirable to some who want a quieter street. On the other hand buyers who want only Great Neck school districts will only purchase houses on Executive Drive since those homeowners can send their kids to Great Neck Schools which some consider to be better than Herricks. Houses on Robby Lane are good because they have much larger backyards since they back up against the "Links gated community". Houses along Knolls Drive and Cherrywood are good because they have nice curb appeal. Houses on Country Village Lane are good because those homeowners backyards back up to Clinton G Martin Park and school bus is provided to the Herricks school districts.

I hope this helps a lot of people who are interested in living in Manhasset Hills.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
It is unfortunate that a lot of houses listed on MLSLI.com in Manhasset Hills are not in Manhasset Hills and so it is important for the buyer to check on their own because the resale value of the house will be affected.
You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Quote:
Manhasset Hills got their name because the early builders wanted to distinguish the houses and property as being more upscale like Manhasset and that section of New Hyde Park is at a higher geographic elevation compared to the surrounding area, hence the name.
Manhasset Hills is a hamlet and not a section of New Hyde Park, which is a village. According to New York State, a hamlet cannot be part of a village and vice versa.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Quote:
The town of New Hyde Park ...
There is no "town" of New Hyde Park. There is the Village of New Hyde Park.

You're confusing the community listed in a place's mailing address with the actual community where that place is located. Only those properties located in the Village of New Hyde Park are in New Hyde Park:

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres) are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 04-25-2010 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM

21 posts, read 37,749 times
I would like to add my .02 here. We moved away from Manhasset Hills a long time ago for a transfer to California, but here's what I recall from that time. In 1962 we moved into a house on Country Village Lane backing to Ridder Pond. The developer, Alexander Muss & Sons, called it Country Village at Manhasset Hills. No one actually thought it was part of Manhasset but they liked the sound of it. At that time I don't believe that Manhasset Hills was anything more than a figment of the developer's imagination.

Our accepted address was New Hyde Park, NY 11042 for probably a year or two, and then it was changed to New Hyde Park, NY 11040. We were told not to use Manhasset Hills because it was not an address! At about that time people started calling the area North New Hyde Park. We moved away in 1972 and the address was still New Hyde Park, NY 11040.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 AM

80 posts, read 212,896 times
@ MiriamR I personally think prices in that area are inflated.

Schools are great but so are many others areas with cheaper prices that have the same standard or even higher.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamR View Post
In 1962 we moved into a house on Country Village Lane backing to Ridder Pond. The developer, Alexander Muss & Sons, called it Country Village at Manhasset Hills.
Yes, according to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Country Village Lane is in the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills ("New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address).

Edit: Forgot to include that in 1962 and up through 1990, what is now the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills was then part of the Hamlet of Herricks. It was concomitant with the 1990 Census that the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills was separated from the Hamlet of Herricks.

Quote:
No one actually thought it was part of Manhasset but they liked the sound of it.
The Hamlet of Manhasset Hills and the Hamlet of Manhasset are two separate communities, separated by the Village of North Hills.

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Quote:
Our accepted address was New Hyde Park, NY 11042 for probably a year or two, and then it was changed to New Hyde Park, NY 11040.
ZIP Code postal zones are NOT community borders: On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Quote:
We were told not to use Manhasset Hills because it was not an address!
Nowadays, the USPS no longer cares, as long as you use the correct ZIP Code.

Quote:
At about that time people started calling the area North New Hyde Park.
North New Hyde Park is a separate hamlet, too.

Quote:
We moved away in 1972 and the address was still New Hyde Park, NY 11040.
Again, there is no correspondence between a community where a place is located and the community named in that place's mailing address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 08-08-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island