Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 05:47 AM

14 posts, read 83,333 times

Advertisements

That name...Bob Buchman - very familiar. Can someone refresh my memory? Was he a DJ?

I remember that log cabin style restaurant in Centerport on the right side of the road on a hill as I headed from Huntington to Northport. It was the only place to get "American" food, as I recall, back then.

BF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,855 times
That was Links! It burned down in like the late seventies. I remember they had great Roast Beef.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:16 AM

14 posts, read 83,333 times
What was the name of the place further down the road on the left, on the way before hitting Centerport? It had a thatched roof and a British theme....big dining room overlooking the water?

We took our secretary there for Secretary's day (back before it became wrong to call them secretaries LOL)

BF

Old 04-21-2007, 06:20 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,855 times
I think it was called Thatched Cottage, then there was another restaurant called Mill Pnd I think right next door.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootgirl55 View Post
That name...Bob Buchman - very familiar. Can someone refresh my memory? Was he a DJ?

I remember that log cabin style restaurant in Centerport on the right side of the road on a hill as I headed from Huntington to Northport. It was the only place to get "American" food, as I recall, back then.

BF
Yeah he did the morning show with Tracy Bergis on WBAB.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 PM

55 posts, read 345,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFS View Post
Don't Mean To Butt In But I Was Born And Raised In Rockaway Beach In The 1940's, I Went To Far Rockaway H.s.,p.s 43
Most Of You Proable Dont Remember That Area
Park Inn
Paragon Resturant
John's Lobster House
Irish Town
Mcquires Bar (dickie Played For The Knicks) (al Coached Marquette)
Playland
Lindy's Furs
Etc Etc
Just Fun To Remember

My Last Sister Lives In Brooklyn Now
I Live In Washington State

I went to PS 136 and learned to swim at Rockaway Beach
Went to Playland as a child
What about Coney Island!! Remember the SteepleChase Ride!!!
The side shows that scared the H.... out of you
Eating the best Clam Chowder ever served with oysterettes... even with all the fly's around you it was so good

Still a Brooklyn Dodger fan

Living on the Island, we would go to the bay and feel with your feet for the clam beds, or going out on the pier at night with a flashlite and net to lure in the crabs and catch them.
Finding a good spot for your lobster trap

Old 04-21-2007, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 26,227 times
You Must Remember Reese Park Then; Belle Harbor, My Folks Owned An Apt. House On 110th Street, My Dad Made His Living In The Ice Business,b4 I Was Born, We Lived Across From St. John's Orphanage,
I Worked In The A.p. As A Teenager, My Family Lived There For Years, My Brothers Family Live In Freeport Now, Been A Long Time Ago, I Still Remember The Great Food And Fun, Irish Town Was On On 103 Dancing, Music And Good Times

Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 AM

55 posts, read 345,341 times
I grew up in St.Albans, then Plainview, hung around Hicksville and Syossett then moved to the Island (which I loved)
my grandma lived in Queens Village, my aunts in Franklin Square,my brother in N Massapequa, went to a bowling alley there for midnight bowl, with the sikadelic lights (?spelling) My dad worked for Sperry's and Grumman's and worked on the buses at the Hempstead Turminal (back in the day).

Anyone remember on Long Island when they had the milk dispencers on the street corners? They had one in Lake Ronkonkoma down the blook from me, great for a winter day when you couldn't travel far and needed milk for the baby

Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Those are 'bagels,' not 'bagals!'
And it's 'schmeer' or 'schmear.'

Here's some fun reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmeer

had an disagreement with someone from a different state on this...
ISN'T "malarky" a Yiddish-origin word????!?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:31 PM

23 posts, read 89,925 times
He taught Social Studies---Mr. Dour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island