Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times

Advertisements

Parts of Great Neck can be snobby, I agree (though there's a tendency to judge the entire area by certain very wealthy sections)--but the rental buildings aren't, really. They're a mix of older people and young professionals. I'm not sure what it would have to offer over Bayside for someone young and single, though (if you had kids, which I do, it would be different because of the schools and other amenities.) The only advantage I can see in this situation is a slightly shorter commute to LIJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Check out Glen Oaks co-ops. You can buy or rent. Many more choices in eastern Queens than Nassau.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM

91 posts, read 258,436 times
What about Rockville Centre. Lots of apts & a young area with a lot going on !

Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 PM

185 posts, read 1,216,183 times
Bayside, queens - In particular THe Bay Club- offer a shuttle to and from the LIRR...gated community, concierge, doormen, valet parking, gym, spa, basketball, pool, restaurant, salon, convenience store, racquetball court, tennis courts, billards, and more...studios up to 3 bedrooms. Very nice place. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
If you are into high rise, you sound like a candidate for North Shore Towers, provided you are making the $$$$ necessary. They are not "new-ish" by my standards (built in 1978) but are very well kept. Here is their website: Welcome to North Shore Towers and Country Club (http://www.northshoretowers.org/ - broken link)

North Shore Towers is not within walking distance of the LIRR, but if you are going to confine yourself to requiring that, I'm afraid you won't find very many choices of places to live.

Another thing is, there are not a lot of "new-ish" apartment building on LI and in eastern Queens. What year built do you consider new-ish?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 AM
grant516

n/a posts
There really are no places in Nassau County that have a solid congregation of young people in an urban-style setting, save maybe the dorms at Hofstra University.
This is one of the ongoing struggles LI is facing today that youngsters are being priced-out and finding living more amusing elsewhere.

If you're bringing in at least $55K for yourself, you should have some freedoms- but without a little bit of luck, Great Neck Estates you might find a bit pricey for the money.

I find next to nothing is contemporary-new/ish in Nassau as-per-it-being-against-the-town-codes-to-update-anything. However on the plus side the buildings here are solid and built with quality 1930s/1940s labor.

Also which NS-LIJ you talking about? I'm assuming New Hyde Park since that's the hub and fits the location bill- but Manhasset, Glen Cove are close too. A lot of people are talking Queens, which has it's upsides, but believe me that commute can be nasty depending on where you're headed in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island