Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva
NYSinger...is it THAT bad? I live in Brooklyn now and wanted a house closer to the beach, more land, quiet, etc. How do you know it's bad? I mean...how did you find that out? What resources?

My sister lived there about 8 years ago (she now lives in PA). I liked it there...seemed really nice.
This is what I got from [removed - not valid]:

Violent crime risk index: 2.0
County: 2.0
National: 3.0

Property crime risk index: 5.0
County: 3.7
National: 3.2

I have heard from DH that has lived on Long Island all his life, that it is NOT a good place to be (drugs, alcohol, etc.). You might want to look at Rocky Point. The residents have beach rights as well.

NYSinger

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2006 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger
This is what I got from [removed]:

Violent crime risk index: 2.0
County: 2.0
National: 3.0

Property crime risk index: 5.0
County: 3.7
National: 3.2

I have heard from DH that has lived on Long Island all his life, that it is NOT a good place to be (drugs, alcohol, etc.). You might want to look at Rocky Point. The residents have beach rights as well.

NYSinger
Also try looking at Mount Sinai, Miller Place, and Middle Island. Those border around the Sound Beach, Rocky Point area.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2006 at 03:13 PM..

Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM

27 posts, read 110,059 times
I've read all these posts & feel I should add some input - moved into L.I. over 20 years ago. Yes, houses were cheaper then. But we got a tiny, dilapidated place our friends made fun of - bought before we had kids, worked 2 jobs apiece to afford materials to add onto house ourselves (minimally hiring contractors.) I also stayed home when the kids were little (with people telling me I was nuts) Bottom line? It's much harder to start out now, but it is still possible. The people that made fun of our tiny house 20 years ago? Some are still in their nice apartments, complaining about the rent. We paid off our mortgage years ago. And - if we'd waited until after we had kids we wouldn't have been able to get a tiny (cheap) place and build up. It takes planning, willingness to get something that won't impress your friends - and today - it takes luck (economy being what it is.) My advice is to set your sights lower and start small. And I agree, even that isn't possible for everyone today. By the way, we're getting out of L.I. and moving upstate. Not because of money, but because of the "hummer/bmw" attitude and the recent crowding. We're also sick of people in huge houses with tons of expensive stuff - running down everyone else - with incredible debt. Don't give up, but consider going elsewhere.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:35 PM

152 posts, read 476,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio
on Long Island is the ever-increasing property taxes. My last house, nice but not great, had taxes of over $11,000. I left the Island after fifty plus years.
We live in S. Bellmore, and our taxes are over $16,000 right now for a 60x100 piece of property!!! My homeowers is over $1,800. We finally bought our dreamhouse, and in a matter of a few years, our taxes jumped through the rough.
Our house is up for sale now, and we are headed south to NC. Can't wait

Old 07-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Good point - always check the taxes in the surrounding houses - I'm in North Bellmore (Bellmore is pretty small, we might be a few blocks away!) and my taxes are $8,000. for a comparable size property. But - I know people who move to South Bellmore because it has a fancier reputation. What's really funny is that even though there are some beautiful houses there I know some people in teeny places also paying huge tax bills. Ya gotta do your homework, things certainly aren't fair on L.I.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by policar4
I've read all these posts & feel I should add some input - moved into L.I. over 20 years ago. Yes, houses were cheaper then. But we got a tiny, dilapidated place our friends made fun of - bought before we had kids, worked 2 jobs apiece to afford materials to add onto house ourselves (minimally hiring contractors.) I also stayed home when the kids were little (with people telling me I was nuts) Bottom line? It's much harder to start out now, but it is still possible. The people that made fun of our tiny house 20 years ago? Some are still in their nice apartments, complaining about the rent. We paid off our mortgage years ago. And - if we'd waited until after we had kids we wouldn't have been able to get a tiny (cheap) place and build up. It takes planning, willingness to get something that won't impress your friends - and today - it takes luck (economy being what it is.) My advice is to set your sights lower and start small. And I agree, even that isn't possible for everyone today. By the way, we're getting out of L.I. and moving upstate. Not because of money, but because of the "hummer/bmw" attitude and the recent crowding. We're also sick of people in huge houses with tons of expensive stuff - running down everyone else - with incredible debt. Don't give up, but consider going elsewhere.
what does people with large houses and expensive stuff have to do with running down everyone else?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 PM

what I meant was in the previous post, was not that I don't agree with you about taxes and stuff, but the people around me with their large houses and expensive cars aren't the ones driving us out, it's the BIG BILLS!!!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Jackie's right. There are 2 issues here. Everyone is in control of his or her financial situation. You can either join in with your neighbors who live above their means (a big thing here--hey I got a pool, well I got a bigger pool). Or you just say forget that game and live YOUR life the way you want. You can't blame the guy down the road with the hummer for your bills, just like he can't blame you for his credit card debt.

The problem is, Long Island is a very (on the whole) consumer/vacuous area. What started out as a nice haven for people from NYC/Brooklyn/Queens has turned into some badly run nightmare. I have no idea why this happened. All I know is people have to make their own choices. If you are a simple person, opt out of all the 'I can top you' nonsense and live within your means.
If that means moving away, then you have to do it.

Seek out a more simple life. You'd be surprised how little you could actually live on if you opt out of all the 'owning' things cycle. I feel this way, if people are going to like you, they will like you for you not your possessions.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 AM

I think we can all agree with the previous post! Well said.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:11 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
Seek out a more simple life. You'd be surprised how little you could actually live on if you opt out of all the 'owning' things cycle. I feel this way, if people are going to like you, they will like you for you not your possessions.
That's true but you'd be surprised how many people are alienated because they can't keep up with the 'Joneses'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island