Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 04:21 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,162,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriny View Post
I take the Babylon line and this is a mess. It's great for the people that live in Wantagh. I am in Massapequa and work on the East side. The times are terrible. Looks like I will still be commuting into Penn and taking the E across town. I do hope they change. People need to show up for the public hearing and voice their concerns.
The trains shown on the branch timetables are are the ones that go directly to the respective terminals. However, in most cases, there is also a connecting train available at either Jamaica or Woodside: https://new.mta.info/document/88496

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
There's a lot of people working withing walking distance of Penn near Hudson Yards or Times Square. Those people are getting screwed, it's not even funny. Usually I'm taking a 8:05 express train to Penn arriving at 8:50. 10 Minute walk to Hudson Square. Done. Coming home I had the option of 4 trains between 5 and 6:30. Now? Inbound a local train with a transfer at Jamaica arriving at either 8:20 or 9:20 in Penn. Going back there are exactly 2 trains and that's it. How is that an improvement? Does the LIRR even know about the Hudson Yards area? Epic fail.
Which branch do you take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 02:24 PM
exm

3,746 posts, read 1,809,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The trains shown on the branch timetables are are the ones that go directly to the respective terminals. However, in most cases, there is also a connecting train available at either Jamaica or Woodside: https://new.mta.info/document/88496

Which branch do you take?

Hempstead

Old 06-19-2022, 11:00 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,162,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Hempstead
There's a 7:53am train you can take, which will get you to Jamaica at 8:20am, where the connecting train will get to Penn Station between 8:39am and 8:46am (depending on how smooth the connections are).

Going home, there's trains at 5:40pm (to Babylon), 5:43pm to Wantagh), and 5:46pm (to Huntington) which will connect to the Hempstead train which leaves Jamaica at 6:09pm.

For the 6:24pm train out of Jamaica, there is a 5:59pm (to Ronkonkoma) and 6:02pm (to Brentwood) train out of Penn Station.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:48 AM
exm

3,746 posts, read 1,809,965 times
Quote:
There's a 7:53am train you can take, which will get you to Jamaica at 8:20am, where the connecting train will get to Penn Station between 8:39am and 8:46am (depending on how smooth the connections are)

My current train is a 8:05AM express train, no transfer. Brings me to the office right around 9AM. So I have to leave 12 minutes earlier, transfer/wait and THAT is an improvement?

Quote:
Going home, there's trains at 5:40pm (to Babylon), 5:43pm to Wantagh), and 5:46pm (to Huntington) which will connect to the Hempstead train which leaves Jamaica at 6:09pm.

For the 6:24pm train out of Jamaica, there is a 5:59pm (to Ronkonkoma) and 6:02pm (to Brentwood) train out of Penn Station.

Right now I can take the 5:38PM or 5:51PM trains non-stop from Penn to Hempstead. Again, how is this better? The only that comes close is the 5:28. If I miss this one, my ONLY options are 6:37 and 7:20. Trains are running overly off-peak with the current schedule.

It's a mess.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:00 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,763,403 times
Quote:
There's a 7:53am train you can take, which will get you to Jamaica at 8:20am, where the connecting train will get to Penn Station between 8:39am and 8:46am (depending on how smooth the connections are).

This is not better for the Penn Station bound people

Old 07-05-2022, 09:40 AM

725 posts, read 628,906 times
Or you can just forget this whole dreadfu[ commute thing and stop being a slave to NYC and riding a train . Get a new job or make your own money!

Old 07-05-2022, 01:11 PM

48 posts, read 29,096 times
Finally, a schedule that works!

Old 07-05-2022, 06:08 PM

2,696 posts, read 2,358,564 times
They suck I hope they go bankrupt. $21 round trip off peak from hicksville, what a joke. Drove in to see friends from out of town $9 in gas $15 to park all day. Would of been $70 for lirr and subway. As long as it’s cheaper to drive they will never get riders back. The drive was faster than train. MTA needs to die, like the horse and buggy they need to go away. We are are car centric country the green liberals need to accept it. 12b to go to GC, may go down as biggest waste of $$ the state has ever spent. Rant over.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:53 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,255,544 times
^Yep just experienced this going the other way 57 dollars round trip for two from Queens to Ronkonkoma off peak. F that!!

And why do we still have peak and off-peak fares. Don't the politicos get heir panties in a twist when Uber/Lyft do their surge pricing?

Money should have been spent on automating these trains.

12b to go to GC, may go down as biggest waste of $$ the state has ever spent

Kathy the Clown says hold my beer!! Wait till you see my plan for Penn Station!

Old 07-06-2022, 11:58 AM

2,696 posts, read 2,358,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
^Yep just experienced this going the other way 57 dollars round trip for two from Queens to Ronkonkoma off peak. F that!!

And why do we still have peak and off-peak fares. Don't the politicos get heir panties in a twist when Uber/Lyft do their surge pricing?

Money should have been spent on automating these trains.

12b to go to GC, may go down as biggest waste of $$ the state has ever spent

Kathy the Clown says hold my beer!! Wait till you see my plan for Penn Station!
Stop making sense! So true with surge pricing, it only matters when it fits the agenda.

When they added the 3rd track from hicksville to floral park That should of been phase 1 of high speed rail like Europe and Japan phase 2 floral to Jamaica then phase 3 convert one tunnel to high speed to penn.

Penn upgrades may be worse than GC, at least that moves people. They should have a functioning on time rapid transit system before you wast billions on aesthetics.

By the time penn is done in 2045 I will be cashing out my investments and enjoying the wife’s pension in a state hat doesn’t tax capital gains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island