Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'll politely disagree and say that LIers know evacuation would be a useless clusterphook, they don't trust the govt shelters and/or have nowhere in particular to go, so they stick around and hope for the best. Some even buy a generator, then line up to hopefully get gas for it. This place is worse than many barrier islands as far as safe escape (because we're anti-rule and have no contingency plans). LI is more of a "put your head between your legs and kiss your azzz goodbye" kinda place. Then blame a) media b) politicians c) cops and teachers d) liberals.
But you don't have to evacuate the whole island! Again, relatively speaking, very few parts of Long Island actually *need* to evacuate for hurricanes. If you live in Long Beach and they tell you the big one is coming - you pretty much have to get to RVC in order to be far enough from the worst effects of a storm. Yes people all over Long Island can and have lost power because of major storms, but that's essentially a short term pain in the neck - and not restricted to coastal areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:32 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
There was looting in my area during Sandy.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:48 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
But you don't have to evacuate the whole island! Again, relatively speaking, very few parts of Long Island actually *need* to evacuate for hurricanes. If you live in Long Beach and they tell you the big one is coming - you pretty much have to get to RVC in order to be far enough from the worst effects of a storm. Yes people all over Long Island can and have lost power because of major storms, but that's essentially a short term pain in the neck - and not restricted to coastal areas.
Not sure I agree again. The highest elevation south of Hempstead Tpke is like 75ft and much of it is near 0ft with many canals in varying degrees of disrepair. A good enough storm, the whole south shore could be up a creek, again.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:15 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Sandys storm surge lasted 30minutes. Those that had to be rescued were some of the most ignorant around. Sandys storm surge was predicted far in advance. My family on the Island Park canal had 5 ft of water on their first floor. Several of his neighbors had no issue at all with newer construction. Let’s be honest, we won’t live long enough to see the south shoe under water.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There was looting in my area during Sandy.
Do you have any links to that news?

Old 02-05-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Not sure I agree again. The highest elevation south of Hempstead Tpke is like 75ft and much of it is near 0ft with many canals in varying degrees of disrepair. A good enough storm, the whole south shore could be up a creek, again.
the "whole south shore" was not "up a creek". Sandy was the worst hurricane to hit NY in centuries in terms of storm surge, and the flooding barely made it to Merrick Rd/Montauk highway in most cases. And even if the BIG ONE comes that wipes out everything south of Hempstead Turnpike - you STILL have time to evacuate given the advance notice.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^ I agree. I actually drove down 5th ave (Bay Shore) in the middle of the surge. At the peak the water was only 1 1/2 blocks from the bay. It would have to be something wayyy bigger than a hurricane to put half of LI under water. Something like a tsunami!

Old 02-05-2021, 12:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Sandys storm surge lasted 30minutes. Those that had to be rescued were some of the most ignorant around. Sandys storm surge was predicted far in advance. My family on the Island Park canal had 5 ft of water on their first floor. Several of his neighbors had no issue at all with newer construction. Let’s be honest, we won’t live long enough to see the south shoe under water.
The Rockaways were under water 3 days ago but who's counting. I'm finding the sudden downplaying of Sandy to be ridiculous rose colored glasses hindsight. People are STILL dealing with Sandy aftermath. Good luck with that evacuation by Hemp Tpke or the LIE. What could go wrong?! Whatever. I don't care about this topic at all so I'm outtie. Levittown is high ground, baby. Drive up from Wantagh next storm and this is what you'll get... lol
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by monstermagnet; 02-05-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The Rockaways were under water 3 days ago but who's counting. I'm finding the sudden downplaying of Sandy to be ridiculous rose colored glasses hindsight. People are STILL dealing with Sandy aftermath. Good luck with that evacuation by Hemp Tpke or the LIE. What could go wrong?! Whatever. I don't care about this topic at all so I'm outtie. Levittown is high ground, baby. Drive up from Wantagh next storm and this is what you'll get... lol
[IMG][/IMG]
Island park floods 5-10 times a year. On a good year! It was built on a salt marsh for goodness sake! Like I said earlier, the only thing to do is coexist with the rising sea or don’t. Developers have invested serious money at sea level by the East Rockaway train station. They won’t have trouble filling it up just like Island Parks old bar scene on the water is now a high rise condo.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
sorry if folks are "downplaying" your silly claims and exaggerations. Of course Sandy was horrific and many areas of the south shore can and will flood again. NOBODY DENIES THIS. But saying you can't get off the island in advance of a hurricane is just alarmist nonsense...and it's simply a true statement that the vast majority of areas hit by Sandy have not only come back, but are thriving.

Yes, parts of the "Rockaways" experienced street flooding during this noreaster, but nobody was chased out of their house and the vast majority of the peninsula experienced zero flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island