Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 AM

87 posts, read 383,165 times

Advertisements

This high-tech world we live in is amazing, but crazy. My 16 year old was trying to teach me how to download a flash game. For him it was so simple, for me to understand was difficult. I got part of it, but didn't understand everything and he couldn't understand what was so hard about it. Anyway, I told him it has a lot to do with the age he's growing up in and the age I grew up in. Back then, it was a big deal to me to have a voice recorder, let alone a laptop or an IPod!!! He has both, plus a cell phone, and can't live seem to live without them. Have you got someone like that at your house too?
I don't know about you, but we got along just fine without all these fancy devises and life was so simple back then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I am inbetween. My son, 13, knows a bit more than I do about powerpoint presentations, etc, but to not have this computer...

I DONT THINK SO! I have a cell and an MP3, not an IPOD. Hmm... I like old fashioned stuff,, does that count?

Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
In many ways, I like the older ways of life. I still like lp records. Cassettes. Reel to reel. Analog rather than digital sound gear. Vhs vs dvd's. The old analog dial receiver rather than the digital sound system. (Remember the old Kenwood or Sansui?!)
BUT....the reality is, digital does sound better. The 35mm camera is great but with the digital, your pic is right there already, no waiting an hour for the film to develop. The downfall with digital cameras though is that you have to wait that second or two before the shutter actually clicks, and by that time, your target could have already moved, been done, disappear, whatever. With the 35, you click it and its done.
The cellphone and internet though, I have to admit, almost seems like a necessity anymore. Heck, personally, I think the pagers are outdated now.
Even my taste in household furnishings and decor are very nostalgia!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks for your response Power Surge. It's true and I do have to agree that I enjoy my MP3 player, but guess what, I use it to download all the old songs I used to love in the 60s and 70s! I don't have a digital camera just because I don't like reading directions and trying to figure out how to use one. And of course, the internet is cool. But...
I still like to think about the old days and the fun we had as kids playing games like hide and seek, kick the can and helping my mom pull taffy. Now kids are much easier entertained with all their gadgets and gidgets, and...don't you bet you still hear them sometimes say, "I'm bored." That's a tweener for ya!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I am in-between with it, too.
It's the old story of how modern conveniences can so often be inconvenient.
No matter how we feel about it, we're definitely living in the Information Age, like it or not.
I like a lot of it: Digital photographs (though I agree with Power Surge), MP3s (though I do still have a turntable) and google chatting with my kids, one in France and the other in Tallahassee.
On the other hand, it seems like we are losing the human touch, that hands-on, tangible quality.
Paper air tickets are on the way out, and we get to pump our own gas, check ourselves in at the airport, mail our own packages at automated kiosks at the post office, and deal with our own groceries.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Don't have a cell phone--don't want a cell phone. Leave home to get away from the phone. I think some people are addicted to these things and would have withdrawal if it was taken away. Sick! Did you know that brain tumors are up 25%. Could it be cell phone use. Something to think about.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
What bothers me is all these fancy features that add on to the cost of a cell. Teenagers now are constantly updating features and their average bill is $100. That is crazy. I do have a cell, something I will be without. All I do is call and receive (if I feel like it). I like the caller ID, tho, so I know if I want to answer. I don't have fancy ring tones for 5 different people, no camera, I never send text messages. I pay $45/month. It's mainly to stay in contact with my kids. And I never have the phone glued to my hip.

As far as computers go - I love mine - couldn't live without it. I don't download music, of course I'm on C-D everyday !!! But I very seldom IM. I do pay my bills on line and shop. I correspond with friends out of state and I read the news and current events.

I admit I don't know alot of the computer lingo. If I have a problem with my computer, thank God my kids are computer saavy

I worry that kids are going to be in so much debt keeping up with technology.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM

As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to the new age we're in. Thanks to all for contributing, it's interesting to read what people think about it all!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to the new age we're in. Thanks to all for contributing, it's interesting to read what people think about it all!
Very interesting thread! One thing I'm grateful for now, as opposed to when I was a young kid, is that I no longer have to be my father's "channel changer/remote control" on the television. No more standing there switching the TV between the 4 or 5 channels we had then while he decides whether he wants to watch the Carol Burnett Show or Emergency....LOL

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times
I have one of those awesome hot dog rollers! Is that nostalgic enough???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics