Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:02 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,839,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
We are "them".
IMHO what happens is people move somewhere and want the new place to become similar to where they left. Look what's happening in places like Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and more recently the environs around Charleston SC. Smaller cities out west like Missoula are being invaded by outsiders who drive up prices so much , many natives are forced to leave.
And that’s why they suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 08:05 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
We are "them".
IMHO what happens is people move somewhere and want the new place to become similar to where they left. Look what's happening in places like Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and more recently the environs around Charleston SC. Smaller cities out west like Missoula are being invaded by outsiders who drive up prices so much , many natives are forced to leave.
I keep hearing this but the town councils that approve all the building are generally made up of natives.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:20 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I keep hearing this but the town councils that approve all the building are generally made up of natives.
I'll go out on a limb here and say that town councils are probably more pro-growth than the people they represent.
I read an article about the big Legoland development up in Goshen. Lots of controversy. Of course the local business owners are overjoyed . But the other 90% of the residents, not so much.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:54 PM

426 posts, read 960,124 times
People are leaving NY in record numbers, why would you want to come back!!? It's insanity. Trust me it's not what it was when you left 20 years ago. More people, more traffic, more illegals, failing infrastructure, teaching CRT in the public schools now, higher taxes than 20 years ago. Plus living with the in laws in the same space? Hell no.

If you don't like Orlando, move to a different part of Florida....try the west coast....Naples, Fort Myers, very nice.

Or if you want to leave FL altogether, try the Carolinas or Georgia. Certain areas of Georgia, such as Savannah, and Augusta, are beautiful.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:56 PM

They’re moving out, and moving in at the same rate.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They’re moving out, and moving in at the same rate.
I'm not sure if that's true, who the hell is moving to NY voluntarily lol? Except teens and millennials that want to live in Manhattan.

Every news article I always see always talks about the "mass exodus" from NY.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:26 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
People are leaving NY in record numbers,

Quote:
More people, more traffic,
Like Yogi once said, "nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

Old 10-19-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if that's true, who the hell is moving to NY voluntarily lol? Except teens and millennials that want to live in Manhattan.

Every news article I always see always talks about the "mass exodus" from NY.
People are still drawn to the metro area for money, jobs, status, etc…
I think recently there was actually a small net loss. I believe the stats were posted in another thread a while back. Hey, things could be different now with the remote working and covid nonsense going on, but I don’t know. As far as a few months ago, they were coming and going at roughly the same rate.
There definitely has been a mass exodus from more urban/suburban areas to the less populated areas for sure.
All the Cidiots moving out to “the country”, so internal migration is a big thing as well, but driving on the LIE or the SoState you’d never believe any of it. But that is a national epidemic, everyone running to “the country”.

Old 10-20-2021, 05:51 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
The middle class is moving out; the poor, immigrants, and hicklibs (liberal young Midwestern proto-hipster types) move in.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:40 AM

Exactly, the working middle class is definitely leaving. I've had a few co-workers leave in the past year (one to NC, one to GA) and a few family members (cousin went to AZ) so personally I do see it.

What you have coming in are illegals, and the millennial hipster types that want to live in Williamsburg and get the "urban city" living experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island