Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 01:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Put it this way. If you have the money to live here, there is virtually nothing you could want that isn't within driving distance from Long Island. There are not many other places that could make such a claim.
Many others probably can't - but "driving distance" is relative.

A tropical beach isn't realistically within driving distance. Nor is alpine skiing (like you get in the west). But I agree that there is a lot more to do on LI within a reasonable distance than say in Topeka, Kansas. Plus there's several airports that will take you to those kind of places if you want to get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 PM

919 posts, read 566,867 times
Quote:
Put it this way. If you have the money to live here, there is virtually nothing you could want that isn't within driving distance from Long Island. There are not many other places that could make such a claim.
But you have to drive through NYC first. Whereas...people living on the mainland (and with much easier access by public transport to Manhattan, mind you, than folks in Nassau/Suffolk) don't have to do that.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM

19,259 posts, read 17,129,598 times
Quote:
Most of the surrounding counties of NYC off of the island could say the same thing and you have the convenience of not having to fight your way through NYC to go somewhere.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Many others probably can't - but "driving distance" is relative.

A tropical beach isn't realistically within driving distance. Nor is alpine skiing (like you get in the west). But I agree that there is a lot more to do on LI within a reasonable distance than say in Topeka, Kansas. Plus there's several airports that will take you to those kind of places if you want to get away.
I didn't say we have the BEST of anything you could want, just virtually anything you could want. No, a tropical beach isn't within driving distance, but beaches in general are. Sure, you could get better skiing in Colorado, but you can find skiing as close as an hour or so away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
But you have to drive through NYC first. Whereas...people living on the mainland (and with much easier access by public transport to Manhattan, mind you, than folks in Nassau/Suffolk) don't have to do that.
True, but the OP asked what made Long Island worth it; it wasn't a comparison. And while certain things are more convenient from NYC as a starting point, they are still available to Long Island.

But if you live in NYC, you don't get the sound of crickets at night and birds in the morning.

Long Island is very well-rounded.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:03 PM

151 posts, read 130,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
And Long Islanders have a visceral hatred of NYC and won't take a ferry that runs a shoddy schedule to CT to access the mainland either.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:31 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Westchester is not downstate
I've said it before but I will repeat it again.

Upstate is any county in NYS that doesn't border CT or NJ. (Nassau and Suffolk border CT across the Sound.)

Old 09-23-2020, 04:08 PM

66 posts, read 46,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Why does every "is LI worth it" thread have to list a litany of NYC crap. Knicks? Rangers? Yankees? Broadway? What do those have to do with LI? Why does this question always get back to "proximity to NY?" 'Cause LI is basically beaches, bagels and pizza, that's why...plus a Nimby army making sure LI stays a flat boring declining suburb rather than a competitive, thriving place that attracts business. Historically it attracts people fleeing NYC for one reason or another rather than those trying to move closer to it. Just sayin'.
Bingo!!!!!

Now lets talk about how everyone on Wrong Island is paying at least 12k in property taxes and that's considered cheap just to pay huge teacher salaries & pensions. School districts are waaaay overrated and kids are NOT getting the education that their parents think they are. Corruption in school districts is rampant as many many
teachers simply have their job because of nepotism and are not the best person for the job.

I know people paying 15k & 18k in property taxes for very average old houses in very average neighborhoods just
so teachers can make their 100k - 130k+ salaries with 60% of their final salary in pensions. Guarantntee that if the pensions were cut in half along with lower teacher salaries you would still see thousands of qualified people
eager to take those jobs.

how many assistant superintendents does a school district need as many have more than one?
do superintendents really need to make 300k, 400k+ a year.

the list goes on and on........

Old 09-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
Bingo!!!!!

Now lets talk about how everyone on Wrong Island is paying at least 12k in property taxes and that's considered cheap just to pay huge teacher salaries & pensions. School districts are waaaay overrated and kids are NOT getting the education that their parents think they are. Corruption in school districts is rampant as many many
teachers simply have their job because of nepotism and are not the best person for the job.

I know people paying 15k & 18k in property taxes for very average old houses in very average neighborhoods just
so teachers can make their 100k - 130k+ salaries with 60% of their final salary in pensions. Guarantntee that if the pensions were cut in half along with lower teacher salaries you would still see thousands of qualified people
eager to take those jobs.

how many assistant superintendents does a school district need as many have more than one?
do superintendents really need to make 300k, 400k+ a year.

the list goes on and on........
Look, it's true, Long Island is expensive, and arguably unnecessarily so. But IF you have the money and the desire to spend it on living here, the fact remains that Long Island has a lot to offer. Most people cite taxes and traffic as being the worst things about Long Island. I don't disagree. But I don't overlook the numerous benefits of living here either.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:01 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,227,344 times
Quote:
Look, it's true, Long Island is expensive, and arguably unnecessarily so. But IF you have the money and the desire to spend it on living here, the fact remains that Long Island has a lot to offer. Most people cite taxes and traffic as being the worst things about Long Island. I don't disagree. But I don't overlook the numerous benefits of living here either.
Let me ask you, and this is not a poke or a loaded question. What are the benefits of LI that you can't find elsewhere for far less money? For reference, in my previous posts in this thread, I started that LI has a ton of positives, but very few that you can't find elsewhere. I'm curious.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Let me ask you, and this is not a poke or a loaded question. What are the benefits of LI that you can't find elsewhere for far less money? For reference, in my previous posts in this thread, I started that LI has a ton of positives, but very few that you can't find elsewhere. I'm curious.
It's not that you can't find everything that Long Island has to offer in other places. It's just that you'd be hard-pressed to find everything that Long Island has to offer in any *one* place.

For instance, you can also find beaches, boating, kyacking, fishing and great seafood in Florida. But can you drive an hour from anywhere in Florida and go skiing? You can from LI.

You can also find great skiing and mountainscapes in Colorado. But can you go seal or dolphin watching in Colorado? You can on LI.

It's easier to point out what other places have and ask if Long Island has it also (or if it is within close enough proximity to Long Island to benefit LIers). There are very few things available elsewhere that we can't find here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island