Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 03:39 PM

99 posts, read 54,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I wonder if it takes the bigger landlords this long. I know they must have a whole Legal team dedicated to ensuring someone doesn't live rent free in one of their properties for a year. I am talking about a company like Avalon. I think the big draw for companies like that is people who have higher incomes/good credit would not want an eviction on their record.
Its clear to me they thought everything put early onto this crisis..

The local people managing the property are nice. I had some back office technical problems with paying rent electronically and they were nice. In the background is a big big business.

I am just a number (an expected number, a percentage) to them at this point. I am positive they are going to get a federal bail out and that will be a number to them as well.

I have to watch my numbers.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,208,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Is it still permitted to run a credit report? If an eviction is sent to a collection agent that will show up.
Yes, credit reports are still permitted.
Not all evictions are reported to credit agencies.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 AM

Yesterday I got an express mail envelope with a payment plan contract. It's not as terribly one sided as I thought. It asks for verification that I cannot pay because of covid. They are asking for partial payment which was my objective in the first place. They are asking me to sign off. I have until the 5th to return the document signed with $1500. They will allow me to do two months of partial payments. The missed rent is spread over six months. I would owe $345 plus over my rent so I would be close to $2900 per month for six months.

The "plan" is going to be a fester!

I am very sure the government is requiring them to use this kind of plan. It's really not helpful because there is no light in the tunnel.

Do I want to take less castor oil today and more tomorrow?

I have three ootions,

1) sign the plan pay them $1500 knowing I will never be able to pay them $2900 in July
2) dont pay rent now and keep what cash I have
3) ask them to reduce the rent down to a reality. There are 29,999,999 other unemployed people right now

I am leaning towards 2 and 3.

What do you think?

Old 05-01-2020, 07:47 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,321,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
Yesterday I got an express mail envelope with a payment plan contract. It's not as terribly one sided as I thought. It asks for verification that I cannot pay because of covid. They are asking for partial payment which was my objective in the first place. They are asking me to sign off. I have until the 5th to return the document signed with $1500. They will allow me to do two months of partial payments. The missed rent is spread over six months. I would owe $345 plus over my rent so I would be close to $2900 per month for six months.

The "plan" is going to be a fester!

I am very sure the government is requiring them to use this kind of plan. It's really not helpful because there is no light in the tunnel.

Do I want to take less castor oil today and more tomorrow?

I have three ootions,

1) sign the plan pay them $1500 knowing I will never be able to pay them $2900 in July
2) dont pay rent now and keep what cash I have
3) ask them to reduce the rent down to a reality. There are 29,999,999 other unemployed people right now

I am leaning towards 2 and 3.

What do you think?
I would wait a few days and see what the outcome of this rent strike is. While there might be 29.9 million more unemployed people they all aren’t tenants of your property company.

Asking them to reduce rent won’t work if they have a waiting list of prospective tenants.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I would wait a few days and see what the outcome of this rent strike is. While there might be 29.9 million more unemployed people they all aren’t tenants of your property company.

Asking them to reduce rent won’t work if they have a waiting list of prospective tenants.
My gut is not pay the rent and wait.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
My gut is not pay the rent and wait.
I don't think they can start eviction proceedings yet, so you might want to proactively start looking for another place to live. You might have a couple of months, and then you can always offer to "leave" in exchange for payment and not filing anything derogatory.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:32 AM

376 posts, read 312,824 times
Quote:
I don't think they can start eviction proceedings yet, so you might want to proactively start looking for another place to live. You might have a couple of months, and then you can always offer to "leave" in exchange for payment and not filing anything derogatory.
The eviction laws are for government backed rentals. The reason why no one can be evicted right now is because the courts are closed

Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
The eviction laws are for government backed rentals. The reason why no one can be evicted right now is because the courts are closed
That’s why I thought a couple of months. Between providing notice, having a period to wait to see if the tenant complies, filing the case and the court date it will be a while if they’re backed up with thousands (or tens of thousands) of others either backlogged or waiting to be filed.

Perhaps OP should ask for more time this month to stall, so his case would be near the bottom of a very large pile.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Not pay rent it is. However I have ups stopping by to pick up a letter i wrote. I outlined the steps i took in trying to work with them. I outlined in three sentences that their options are not tennable. I asked them a question as to whether or not they accepted Federal funds or loans. When this problem loops back to me later i will have more leverage. Unlike a small landlord these guys are going to stick to the rules.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:14 AM

376 posts, read 312,824 times
While evictions could take months because courts are closed, the right thing to do is work out a payment plan with the landlord and make payments that you’re comfortable making for the time being. It doesn’t matter what religion you’re but Karma is real. And many people are using this time to intentionally get away from paying obligations they agreed to. The energy you put out is the same energy you will receive. Nothing ever goes unnoticed, and life will hit you when you least expect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island