Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 08:00 PM

656 posts, read 1,064,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
I cannot eat my credit report.
Why don't I go full metal jacket on this problem.. How much should I get paid to leave? I think $10,000 for the keys is the way to go. I am gong to cost the landlord four times that by the time this is done.
The landlord could reach out with a plan and I will be reasonable. I have lost most everything it's the landlords turn. He made a bet he would get rich on my dime and he lost that bet.
This thought process is why landlords especially in tenant friendly states must be tough as nails.
Cash for keys, etc. works often with small time landlords but you mentioned you have a big landlord. Big as in corporate or a wealthy individual? Either way they will certainly take you to court and have ample resources and lawyers to ensure that you will never rent another apt again until the judgement is paid off.

Why do you think he bet he would get rich on your $2500 a month and why is it his turn to lose since you believe you have. And how have you lost everything 30-45 days into a crisis?

Old 04-28-2020, 08:18 PM

99 posts, read 54,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Your not judgement proof. Let’s say you go 9 months not paying get evicted. That’s 27k plus court and other fees about 35k. Landlord will win and you won’t pay. At some point the landlord will collect because you came into $$, died and they have a lean on your assets. Or LL will sell to debt collection co, take a 80% bath and they will make your life miserable. Your landlord is a fool if he’s not willing to negotiator a lesser payment after you reached out.
I looked into my landlord. They have 70,000 units.
I don't think they care that I reached out.
Their stock is ticking along like nothing happened.

Thanks for your viewpoint.

The corporate web site suggested they will consider a payment plan and a rent freeze on renewal.

Last edited by Rolodex; 04-28-2020 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 11:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,196,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post

Once you get an eviction it tanks your credit and ability to rent again. I evicted 2 tenants legally, they couldn’t hide them I got calls from other owners. There is a real list of clown tenants, both those deadbeats had a hard time getting a new place. One of the fools won around 600k after taxes. Guess what happened he had multiple judgments against him he ended up with almost no money but me and and his other judgements got paid plus interest! He’s still on the blackballed list.
Interestingly, in Suffolk County it is now prohibited to ask about evictions for rentals.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,304,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Interestingly, in Suffolk County it is now prohibited to ask about evictions for rentals.
Is it still permitted to run a credit report? If an eviction is sent to a collection agent that will show up.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:00 AM

Got a call from the landlord today. They talked to me a about how they can help me.

First, They want proof that I was fired.
Then they want proof that I was fired because of the Covid crisis. (I don't know if they can get federal aid based on this fact)
They asked If I could pay by credit card and they would waive all the credit card fees.
They said I could not make a partial payment, it would not be accepted.
They also would not convert security to rent.

The guy mentioned a "deferred payment plan" as an option. He is sending me the paper work so I can read it.
Signing onto the plan means that all late fees are waived.

Another option was to agree to move to an apartment in another complex. I asked where and they said Suffolk County! The bottom line was that I would owe them about $700 less per month. And they could help me move was also mentioned.

He said that if they help me it will not impact my credit.

Frankly, some of these options are like drinking castor oil. I am not putting rent on a credit card. I am not moving to another complex. I got to see what the "deferred payment plan" actually does. I can definitely get a note from my employer so that is going out ASAP.

Last edited by Rolodex; 04-29-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Got a call from the landlord today. They talked to me a about how they can help me.

First, They want proof that I was fired.
They asked If I could pay by credit card and they would waive all the credit card fees.
They said I could not make a partial payment, it would not be accepted.

The guy mentioned a "deferred payment plan" as an option. He is sending me the paper work so I can read it.
Signing onto the plan means that all late fees are waived.

Another option was to agree to move to an apartment in another complex. I asked where and they said Suffolk County! The bottom line was that I would owe them about $700 less per month. And they could help me move was also mentioned.

He said that if they help me it will not impact my credit.

Frankly, some of these options are like drinking castor oil. I am not putting rent on a credit card. I am not moving to another complex. I got to see what the "deferred payment plan" actually does.
Basically they're not accepting anything less than what they want. I'd bet the "move to an apartment in another complex" was offered because they have a lot of vacancies there and they can re-rent your place quickly.

At this point you're better off not paying any rent, saving your money and then waiting for them to evict you - maybe in 6-12 months? Might as well work the system if they won't work with you.

I'd probably send them a partial rent check (say $100) and see if they cash it.

If you feel you are pretty much judgment proof then you might as well take the deadbeat route and pay nothing until they pay you to leave. And then you can make one condition of leaving an agreement in writing for them to remove any negatives from your credit report.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Basically they're not accepting anything less than what they want. I'd bet the "move to an apartment in another complex" was offered because they have a lot of vacancies there and they can re-rent your place quickly.

At this point you're better off not paying any rent, saving your money and then waiting for them to evict you - maybe in 6-12 months? Might as well work the system if they won't work with you.

I'd probably send them a partial rent check (say $100) and see if they cash it.

If you feel you are pretty much judgment proof then you might as well take the deadbeat route and pay nothing until they pay you to leave. And then you can make one condition of leaving an agreement in writing for them to remove any negatives from your credit report.
With a new kitchen and washer dryer they were getting close to 4k. Lots of snowbirds in the complex wete waiting for rennovated apt. I dont know if its true now.

They atr definitely trying to maximize for themselves and i dont fault them for that. I am sure the deferment plan is 100% in their favor.

I dont have deadbeat skills so its time to learn them. I will have to read up. I am no longer worried so that is a start.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
With a new kitchen and washer dryer they were getting close to 4k. Lots of snowbirds in the complex wete waiting for rennovated apt. I dont know if its true now.

They atr definitely trying to maximize for themselves and i dont fault them for that. I am sure the deferment plan is 100% in their favor.

I dont have deadbeat skills so its time to learn them. I will have to read up. I am no longer worried so that is a start.
I’ve never been a deadbeat and have always paid, but if the landlord isn’t willing to help at all then I’d say scr#w them.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:52 PM

656 posts, read 1,064,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wonder if it takes the bigger landlords this long. I know they must have a whole Legal team dedicated to ensuring someone doesn't live rent free in one of their properties for a year. I am talking about a company like Avalon. I think the big draw for companies like that is people who have higher incomes/good credit would not want an eviction on their record.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I wonder if it takes the bigger landlords this long. I know they must have a whole Legal team dedicated to ensuring someone doesn't live rent free in one of their properties for a year. I am talking about a company like Avalon. I think the big draw for companies like that is people who have higher incomes/good credit would not want an eviction on their record.
Possibly. Right now NY evictions are on pause until June 18th. And no new eviction requests can be filed currently.

"What should I do with my rent during the eviction moratorium?

At this time, rent payments have not been suspended (though it is possible that this could change). Many people will be having trouble paying their rent during this time period. If possible, you should continue to try to pay your ongoing rent during this time period to avoid getting behind. Even if your landlord has simply served you with a termination notice that is not because of unpaid rent, it may help you to offer to pay the rent during the moratorium, if you are able to do so. If that’s not possible for you, you should communicate with your landlord and see if they are willing to work with you. If you reach an agreement, try to get it in writing. If you offer partial rent and your landlord will not accept it, you should save as much of your rent money as possible. You can also apply for assistance at the Department of Social Services online at MyBenefits.NY.gov or by calling your local DSS office to find out their process during this time. There may be other assistance available in your area. Please feel free to call our office about sources of rental assistance or other financial relief during the crisis. "

https://www.lawny.org/node/363/impor...-health-crisis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island