Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 02:11 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
I've got an answer for you. Stop using your phone for anything while driving your 5-ton killing machine.

I came so close to getting into a head-on collision with a young guy texting while he was supposed to be looking out the windshield driving his black sports car on West Neck Road. His head was down looking at his phone while his car was moving forward at about 25 mph. I came to a stop when I saw him looking down at what had to be his phone in order to blast him with my car horn out of his phone coma. The horn noise woke him up at the last split second when he FINALLY looked up to find his car on my side of the road and came within inches of hitting me. His car actually ended up perpendicular to the curb on my side of the road (the oncoming lane to him).

You shouldn't be operating any kind of vehicle if you're a texter. Your license ought to be suspended indefinitely, and you need to not be behind the wheel of any motor driven vehicle.

A car is like a gun. You can kill someone with it. Until you understand that fully you should not operate a vehicle.

Calm down....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Calm down....
Hey don't tell her to relax

Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
From seniors to teens. Everyone has a phone and everyone is texting or talking or snapfacing. It is what it is. Unless the police use video cams filming all traffic, 80 percent of people are on their phones in some fashion.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:04 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
From seniors to teens. Everyone has a phone and everyone is texting or talking or snapfacing. It is what it is. Unless the police use video cams filming all traffic, 80 percent of people are on their phones in some fashion.
That is ridiculous. Why do these morons need constant contact?

Old 01-21-2020, 05:12 PM

719 posts, read 621,034 times
Ha Nassau traffic court. What a cesspool of corruption. Wait to they start postone your trial dates a million times after you show for your first time.

They will stoop to any level just so you give up and say your guilty.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 20,692 times
Default Unlawful ticket

Hi Give me a Coffee. Points for the creative name!

I'm sorry to hear of your situation with the kids. I hope they are feeling better. The fines I think are 200 + whatever surcharge is....Expect another 150 for the surcharge....350 is most likely. Make sure you look at your ticket and look up the ordinance they charged you with. Make sure things like your cars, color, year, make, and model match to your vehicle & registration.

Here is my story, and I hope you can learn from it or draw inspiration.

I got a ticket where the trooper unlawfully gave me a ticket (1225D-Use of portable electronic devices) claiming he saw the device in my RIGHT hand on the Grand Central Parkway just after the Queens border by Lakeville Road exit. i got the ticket at the end of the month on May 24- 7:10pm, so I had a feeling he was padding numbers. The stop took about 10 minutes and he wrote me a ticket. Very annoyed, but I said nothing. Sometimes being quiet is the best thing you can do.

I plead Not Guilty because I did nothing wrong.

Original date, the Trooper did not call, did not show. - morning wasted.
2nd date, the trooper committed, but did not show, yet again. - morning wasted yet again
3rd date, trooper committed, but did not show. Requested dismissal without prejudice based on the 2 missed dates, citing date and times. Threw a jab questioning the validity of the case, considering he couldn't even keep the original court dates and had a no call no show, on day one. The judge did not like that, and rejected the motion. Rescheduled for a 4th date.
4th date, no show for the morning session, but stated he could make an afternoon session. Judge agreed and I burnt yet another day, but I stayed for the afternoon session because I was going to wipe the floor with him at this point. The DA and the trooper requested a sidebar, and claimed to be looking out for me and offered no points, as long as I installed some after maket device that logs if you use your phone while driving. Not sure how it worked, but honestly I wasn't going to shell out $300 for a device, when I did not do what they accused me of.

It comes time for my session in the courtroom.

Trooper testifies that I was driving northbound on GCP, exactly where I was, and stated he saw device on my LEFT hand on the as he was on the left lane. Trooper turned on lights and signaled me to pull over. On the ticket and in the courtroom, he wrote talking while driving, left hand. Judge excuses him and then states what I'm being charged with, and asks me to speak and present evidence.

First piece of evidence was my AT&T Wireless itemized phone bill, on May 24, between 7:00pm-8:00pm. To my expectation, there was no calls placed between that time. In other words, I was not on my phone speaking. On the text message part of my bill, between those hours, there was no line item as well. Guess what, no text was sent during that time.

Second piece of evidence was the weather report for that date and time. It was raining and visibility was low due to fog, from 5pm-9pm that day.

Next, I asked the judge, according to his testimony, the phone was in my LEFT hand, but the ticket he wrote up states my right? Which one is it? Especially since the weather indicates rain and fog, the likelyhood he saw anything was zero. He made the whole thing up.

Judge agreed, case dismissed w/o prejudice. The look on the troopers face was priceless. As we walked out of the room, I told him, "Don't feel bad, the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while"

Moral of story, fight if you can. Don't be a victim.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
You should sue for damages.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 20,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You should sue for damages.
Amen! I burnt so much time with proving my innocence, that I didnt even want to bother. The look on that troopers face was priceless though. Was worth the cost of admission.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Didn't read the whole thread but how does a cop know you're texting vs. trying to work Google Maps? I do the latter while on the move - whether it's adding a stop or "search along route" along with voice input, but you still have to hit buttons.

If you've got both hands on the phone, then yeah, that's a bigger issue. I have the vent mount so it's 1-handed. Looking away periodically is no different than working the radio, or today's infotainment systems. I'm not saying it's infinitely safe, just that it's no different.

Also, short of voice input, learn to swype instead of type. Don't even need to look at the keyboard if you're good, and not taking your eyes off the road is the point.

That all said, it's terrifying what some think is ok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-t-pVe-LCs

Last edited by ovi8; 01-24-2020 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 10:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphilip1979 View Post
Amen! I burnt so much time with proving my innocence, that I didnt even want to bother. The look on that troopers face was priceless though. Was worth the cost of admission.
But you can easily photoshop any bill to re-print as needed. You know, if you wanted certain line items gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island