Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:05 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,075,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This is serious. Don't sugar coat it.
Possible death penalty depending on how fast you were going when texting.

Plead insanity. Were you moving when he got you or stopped? You could argue the bumper to bumper thing and say the vehicle was stopped at the time. It's his word over yours. Just lie and totally deny charges. He needs to prove you were actualy texting and not adjusting your underwear or scratching your leg or something that you could argue in your defense. Screw the police.
If the death penalty was the real consequence for texting while driving, LI traffic would be MUCH lighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 11:18 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,180,896 times
Arrogant people will continue to do as they do without a care for human life when there are such light penalties. I saw a man in a open topped sports car using his cell phone and when he saw me he put it down, he was texting or reading a text, not talking. They think they can drive safely while using their cell phone but all it takes is a split second for a tragedy to happen. I think anyone caught using a cellphone while driving should face automatic 30 days in jail and a large fine. I equate it with driving drunk, your senses are otherwise engaged.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:22 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,180,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
If the death penalty was the real consequence for texting while driving, LI traffic would be MUCH lighter.
You don't sound like the arrogant people and you were stuck in traffic and not moving, but still be careful. First time offense, given the laws they have now, they may give you a break, but people are cracking down on this kind of thing and for good reason.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,897,256 times
Go to court. Plea bargain. Pay, no points. Behave next time!

Seriously though, how did you get caught?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:32 AM

20,277 posts, read 21,030,300 times
Quote:
That's why they should give the death penalty and not Mets tickets.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:36 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,209,673 times
Quote:
That's why they should give the death penalty and not Mets tickets.
MET tickets are a death penalty.

Seriously. What was the conversation between you and the cop? Phone in hand when he approached you? Did you admit to texting? Did he ask to see the phone?

Old 01-03-2020, 12:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,835,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Arrogant people will continue to do as they do without a care for human life when there are such light penalties. I saw a man in a open topped sports car using his cell phone and when he saw me he put it down, he was texting or reading a text, not talking. They think they can drive safely while using their cell phone but all it takes is a split second for a tragedy to happen. I think anyone caught using a cellphone while driving should face automatic 30 days in jail and a large fine. I equate it with driving drunk, your senses are otherwise engaged.
I can make a denver omelette and shave while driving and still do all three better than 80% of the boneheads with licenses just as valid as mine out there. Whoop dee doo. And yet I don't text while driving. I might spill my martini. heyohhh!!!

Old 01-03-2020, 01:30 PM

732 posts, read 889,484 times
Quote:
This is all very entertaining but does anyone have an actual answer?
Did you read my post...

Old 01-03-2020, 02:03 PM

11,170 posts, read 8,014,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
MET tickets are a death penalty.

Seriously. What was the conversation between you and the cop? Phone in hand when he approached you? Did you admit to texting? Did he ask to see the phone?
A slow death!

Old 01-03-2020, 02:25 PM

3,301 posts, read 2,381,977 times
Quote:
This is serious. Don't sugar coat it.
Possible death penalty depending on how fast you were going when texting.

Plead insanity. Were you moving when he got you or stopped? You could argue the bumper to bumper thing and say the vehicle was stopped at the time. It's his word over yours. Just lie and totally deny charges. He needs to prove you were actualy texting and not adjusting your underwear or scratching your leg or something that you could argue in your defense. Screw the police.
Not moving does not negate the ticket. I think the rule is if the car is running, you can get a ticket. That means you get a ticket when parked, at a stop sign, at a red light etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island