Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 09:05 AM

854 posts, read 1,451,205 times

Advertisements

When do homeowners have to start paying these new taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 09:12 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,077,011 times
As for the "services" discussion, I'm curious: What services do you as a homeowner currently receive from your Town that you would DEFINITELY NOT want to see cut or eliminated in the interests of lowering costs? For me it would be these:

- Garbage pickup 3x a week, plus regular yard waste pickup (although I wish it was weekly instead of only twice a month.)
- Good, working street lighting
- Roadways in good condition (no potholes!)
- Prompt clearing of snow even in all-residential neighborhoods
- Senior Citizens center and assistance program

Out of curiosity I checked to see how many parks (of whatever size and description) are operated by our Town and was surprised to see that there are 29. Three of them have boat ramps. The town charges residents $45 per season for a launch ramp permit.

When we lived in the Town of Islip the resident ramp fee was $75 per season and the mooring/slip fee was charged per foot (good thing we lived on a canal, LOL.) I seem to recall that it was something like $60 per foot back in the day. We had a 26-ft Sea Ray at the time so that would have been about $1600/year if we had to keep it at a Town marina.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:21 AM

34,168 posts, read 47,673,463 times
Descendants of city residents want city services in the suburbs and dont want to pay! Everybody wants stuff for free. With all the grifting attached. Time to wake the F up. It's all a grift. Who wants to move to polluted water county? Officials not even addressing it. The school's gonna make my kid bright. There's a thing called aptitude! Truth is powers that be created divides! Well get washed if you want to. Happy Holidays.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2019, 09:36 AM

5,315 posts, read 4,823,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1. Do you not know the difference between weed and industrial hemp? Clearly not. Maybe if you Google it and see that Trump legalized industrial hemp, you will wake up
2. At least I'm offering suggestions
3. Well then if you don't have a problem with paying, then just pay. And don't complain about taxes ever again.
You obviously did not read my post which clearly says I’m aware industrial hemp is not for smoking. Regardless it’s a ridiculous suggestion

Old 12-24-2019, 09:40 AM

5,315 posts, read 4,823,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Descendants of city residents want city services in the suburbs and dont want to pay! Everybody wants stuff for free. With all the grifting attached. Time to wake the F up. It's all a grift. Who wants to move to polluted water county? Officials not even addressing it. The school's gonna make my kid bright. There's a thing called aptitude! Truth is powers that be created divides! Well get washed if you want to. Happy Holidays.
Nope. No one’s addressing the plume AT ALL. SMH..

Regulators approve $585M plan to clean up Bethpage plume

Old 12-24-2019, 09:47 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,842,680 times
How does industrial hemp farming remediate a 900' deep aquifer?!

Old 12-24-2019, 09:56 AM

2,698 posts, read 2,367,524 times
Please no more talk of school district consolidation, It’s never happening. Township maybe countywide never. Many districts including mine would never in a billion years vote for it. Not because we don’t want our neighbors joining us, but because we have a massive commercial base that would be used to subsidize our neighbors in other towns costing us money. It is what it is we have high taxes, we all know this.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:11 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,810,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Please no more talk of school district consolidation, It’s never happening. Township maybe countywide never. Many districts including mine would never in a billion years vote for it. Not because we don’t want our neighbors joining us, but because we have a massive commercial base that would be used to subsidize our neighbors in other towns costing us money. It is what it is we have high taxes, we all know this.
Consolidating all districts in each county would spread things evenly. Everybody on board in ONE district.

There, I talked about it. Nyah-nyah!

Old 12-24-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
You obviously did not read my post which clearly says I’m aware industrial hemp is not for smoking. Regardless it’s a ridiculous suggestion
Why is bioremediation a ridiculous suggestion? Please exapnd so that I can see your view.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
What massive commercial base? Sorry, but sometimes sarcasm is hard to determine on the Internet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island