Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 03:25 PM

7,964 posts, read 9,180,543 times

Advertisements

But now you are treated as a criminal because you challenged your assessment despite being encouraged by the politicians themselves to challenge your assessment.

No one has yet been able to justify why taxes are so high compared to the rest of the nation. Schools aren't any better, roads aren't any better. The only difference is our govt employees and civil servants are among the highest paid in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 05:14 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,367,502 times
I’m good. My taxes were about $12,500. Now, it is high 9000s. I never grieved so I must have been over assessed. But I still think most of the money are going into politician’s and school superintendent’s pockets. Sucks but I guess I am brainwashed to feel like “I’m good.”

Old 12-22-2019, 05:24 PM

690 posts, read 586,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
But now you are treated as a criminal because you challenged your assessment despite being encouraged by the politicians themselves to challenge your assessment.

No one has yet been able to justify why taxes are so high compared to the rest of the nation. Schools aren't any better, roads aren't any better. The only difference is our govt employees and civil servants are among the highest paid in the country.
Yes!! Thank you! And of course they encouraged us to challenge them through the grievance companies, most of them are among the highest donors to these idiots campaigns!

Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 PM

20,102 posts, read 20,910,392 times
Everyone should self-grieve.
It's easy enough. Enough people step up and the well will run dry for these skel law firms.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:14 AM

40 posts, read 42,881 times
I was over assessed by almost 10K in taxes a year. Thanks to Laura Curran's efforts to fix the assessment system that ED MANGANO broke, Im now assessed properly and my taxes are where they should be.

THANKS LAURA CURRAN!!!!!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:20 AM

40 posts, read 42,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlok View Post
that half and half tripe is played out and was proven disingenuous a while back. If half the homes go down 2% and the others go up 20% (an arbitrary example), I guess you can have the clever claim that half went down, but we know that is not the real name of the game at play. I always find apologists for governments picking your pocket both a funny and sad commentary on politics. It is also interesting that they are denying almost every claim - regardless of the merit and they refuse to release the metrics used in the reassessment, like it's the nuclear codes. This will force SCAR court actions by the thousands costing the county even more $$$. And since she ultimately wants to reassess annually, don't bank for the long term on any little savings you may have gotten because of the initial political salvo.

Curran's time in office will be quite short as she managed to @#$ on almost all her constituents. If it is any indication of the backlash, even that other poor "Laura" of the same party got the boot this past election because they shared a similar name.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ano-1.30240729

What you dont know about this situation is a lot. ALL the issues with the assessment systems was brought on by ED MANGANO and the GOP. And Curran's system has fixed that. All the info, including your comps and the rationale for your tax assessment are available on the mynassauproperty website. And yes, they are now denying frivolous grievance claims, UNlike under Mangano, where they rubber stamped approved all of them, resulting in the massive assessment disparities in the first place.

Do you think its fair that if we both had the same houses on the same block your taxes should be different than mine? If so...why?

But sure...by all means...lets put another Nassau GOP hack in charge of the County. Maybe Kate Murray can run for the spot!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:32 AM

20,102 posts, read 20,910,392 times
Suozzi's administration brought on the assessment nonsense. I clearly remember it.
One day my taxes were $1200 a year.
The next they were $3500.
Nearly crippled me. I had bought my house on the seat of my pants and probably had no business buying a house but I did and it worked financially under the $1200 a year taxes.
It may not seem like a big deal but at the time and on my salary and budget I had to deal with my taxes doubled! I was a young married man with a family tryin to get my piece of the American dream and these ass clowns nearly wiped me out. I'm still pissed.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:40 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,936 times
The underlying costs are the problem, so blame the pols and school boards that hired an army of cronies and signed the contracts. You'd have go back decades to name them all.

They gave away the money in perpetuity with no relief for taxpayers. The obligations are set in stone.

Curran is shifting the costs from one group over to another. But there will be no relief for taxpayers because costs keep rising and the baseline obligations don't go away. This (127 school districts as an example) is local control gone amok. Believe it or not, high taxes a generation or two ago were preferred, as they kept out people from "the city."

This is why I kept saying the only relief would be a municipal bankruptcy and restructuring. Until that happens, you can keep voting in different people who have to deal with the same mess.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:41 AM

34,126 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Suozzi's administration brought on the assessment nonsense. I clearly remember it.
One day my taxes were $1200 a year.
The next they were $3500.
Nearly crippled me. I had bought my house on the seat of my pants and probably had no business buying a house but I did and it worked financially under the $1200 a year taxes.
It may not seem like a big deal but at the time and on my salary and budget I had to deal with my taxes doubled! I was a young married man with a family tryin to get my piece of the American dream and these ass clowns nearly wiped me out. I'm still pissed.
That really sucks hotkarl.

Come on the NYC forum, and their attitude is like "well you just didn't try hard enough in life"

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2019, 08:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,544,837 times
May RE tax actually went down slightly with the new assessment system.
I think its the 1st time in my tax paying life a Democrat actually lowered my taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island