Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:45 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times

Advertisements

OK, as usual just like Thanksgiving I donate to the local food drive at all supermarkets. This time it was sponsored by the Boy Scouts. As usual, I donate bags and bags full of groceries. 70% of my grocery bill was for the food drive.

I understand it’s a County issue, but King Kullen really?......at least suck up the .5 bag tax!
I understand they sold out for millions and every penny counts, but really? Trust me, it not about the .25 in bags I spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 05:12 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Thank you for your generosity. People like you give me faith in humanity.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 PM

Like above, it wasn’t about the .25
It was about a multi million dollar company that can’t suck up .5 for a bag, after make a profit on my purchases.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:57 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
It is very generous to donate what you did but I don’t understand the complaint about the nickel per bag. KK has no monetary interest in the drive and it is a county fee, not a KK fee. Complaining about the nickel is like complaining that the US Post Office isn’t waiving the required stamp fee for mailing in a donation through the mail. KK is a business whose sole purpose is to make a profit. BTW, they are all closing. So, for them to pick up the fee of the bags could wind up costing them thousands of dollars over multiple stores. They should not be expected to do that.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 AM

412 posts, read 289,656 times
Agree with trusso.

The point of the bag fee is to deter you from using those bags.
+1 to u for donating
-1 to u for donating and then bragging about it...one should be humble and not seek credit for such acts
-1 for complaining about the bag fee
-1 for not bringing reusable bags.

Next year, hopefully u will be a net positive.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 AM

352 posts, read 387,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
It is very generous to donate what you did but I don’t understand the complaint about the nickel per bag. KK has no monetary interest in the drive and it is a county fee, not a KK fee. Complaining about the nickel is like complaining that the US Post Office isn’t waiving the required stamp fee for mailing in a donation through the mail. KK is a business whose sole purpose is to make a profit. BTW, they are all closing. So, for them to pick up the fee of the bags could wind up costing them thousands of dollars over multiple stores. They should not be expected to do that.
Well, it's a County requirement, but not a County fee; KK keeps the entire 5¢ for a bag that probably cost them a penny or less. So yes, they could easily throw you a few bags for the food drive and not collect and retain the fee. But they'd probably say it's too hard to audit, prevent abuse, etc, etc.
The merchants, especially the big guys, are loving this fee that they keep for themselves.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Agree with trusso.

The point of the bag fee is to deter you from using those bags.
+1 to u for donating
-1 to u for donating and then bragging about it...one should be humble and not seek credit for such acts
-1 for complaining about the bag fee
-1 for not bringing reusable bags.

Next year, hopefully u will be a net positive.
No good deed goes unpunished

Old 03-17-2019, 11:21 AM

412 posts, read 289,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
No good deed goes unpunished
Try again next time, don't tell anyone, and it probably will go unpunished. And, you'll feel better about it too.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:43 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Were these those pre-bagged donations where you just grab a bag and go? If so, I don't think they have a choice but to include the fee.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Try again next time, don't tell anyone, and it probably will go unpunished. And, you'll feel better about it too.
Very good advice, will do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island