Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should or Shouldn't?
Should - Go for it! 7 29.17%
Shouldn't - idiot! 17 70.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,945,103 times

Advertisements

This is a house we're talking about. It's not a car purchase where nothing else is tied to it and you'd just get the car repossessed. $300 is much too tight. Hell even $1k would be borderline - how do people ever grow wealth for retirement by hamstringing themselves so badly in their prime years?

As someone else said, surprised you got approved by the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 AM

158 posts, read 190,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm assuming you're a single person; no spouse, significant other, etc.? In that case, have you budgeted anything for a social life (especially if you're a male)?
whoa...what exactly does that mean?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 AM

22,744 posts, read 37,003,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
As someone else said, surprised you got approved by the bank.
I'm not it's like 2004 all over again.

Goats and chickens and cows. Wonder if the OP has even checked zoning for this house.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:13 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,709,611 times
Does our opinion really matter? Our comments will sway or not your overall decision lol

Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,455,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
I think it means to pay to take ladies out lmao

Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 AM

19,340 posts, read 17,256,396 times
You appear to have no buffer if anything comes up, if you anticipate more income shortly you could risk it otherwise you would be safer to wait.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,072,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
Well, I may be old-fashioned but I am pretty sure that even in this day and age, the who-asks-for-the-date ratio is still skewed in favor of the male doing the asking... and the paying-for part as well.

Let's put it this way: If a guy asked me out for dinner and then expected me to spit the check 50/50, there would never be a second date. That's just tacky. And as for a show or concert date, if I'm asked as a guest I'd expect him to provide the tickets. (And vice versa if I'm the one doing the asking, of course. Fair's fair.)

It's different if you only socialize in groups, and the checks/costs are split up evenly but once it gets to be a one-on-one situation, IMHO the guy had better be prepared to pick up the checks etc if he plans to be the one doing the inviting-out. And $300/month left over for everything but essentials isn't likely to leave room for anything much more elaborate than Micky D's. :-/

Old 08-24-2018, 09:50 AM

190 posts, read 154,477 times
If you are expecting an increased income in the near future, I would say go for it. You will get an increased tax return next year, plus a nys check this year.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:57 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,807,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
And $300/month left over for everything but essentials isn't likely to leave room for anything much more elaborate than Micky D's. :-/
Mickey D's from the dollar menu.

What's supposed to happen if you need a new roof, or one of dozens of possible household disasters? A prudent budgeter should allow several thousands a year for house updates and repairs. Take my word for it, a house always has something wrong with it.

The charm of chickens clucking at your back door wears off quickly when you have constant money worries. It's nothing less than servitude. If you can think of a way to draw some kind of an income from the house it may not be so bad.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:39 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,072,051 times
A cautionary tale for the OP:

Suppose you decide to take the plunge, pay your $600 or whatever to a home inspector, and he/she finds nothing of major concern. You think you're home free re: major expenses, right? Wrong. The fine print at the bottom of the inspection report says that the inspection is not guaranteed to find everything that may be wrong, and does not cover any parts of the house that are not open to view, such as behind walls, under carpet, behind cabinetry or furniture, etc. Even if the inspector screws up bigtime and misses something like a crack in the boiler (ask me how I know), you have no recourse. The cost of repair or replacement will be on you.

And don't think that sellers don't deliberately hide stuff that they know perfectly well is either a problem or will need fixing ASAP.

A good rule of thumb is to double or triple the cost of whatever you think you will need to do to a house you're considering buying. Partly because you WILL find problems after you move in and partly because however much you think you can fix or do the thing for, that number is lower than the actual cost will be. Home ownership ain't for sissies, lol

That said, I would never live in anything else but a SFH, even in my most annoyed and/or discouraged moments. And I still get sticker shock on occasion. As in, just this past week when getting estimates for re-grading and hardscaping, neither of which we can do ourselves at our age, and we don't want some hack doing the work either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island