Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should or Shouldn't?
Should - Go for it! 7 29.17%
Shouldn't - idiot! 17 70.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:40 AM

730 posts, read 1,664,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowls View Post
Sooo...I have an accepted offer for a house and have a loan lined up for it but subtracting mortgage, car cost, food, pet supplies would leave me with 300 for utilities (electric for a small house, water, internet) and anything else for the month. I'm bouncing between "idiotic to even think of it" and "first years would be rough but I should be able to make it".... X_X

Have you factored into that $300. per month the tax benefits of owning a home. I know that the federal deduction has changed for interest and State and Local Taxes (SALT) - speak to your accountant, that $300 might be higher after you adjust your payroll withholdings.

I have always felt (at least when I was younger) that I would make more money as the years went by and as long as my mortgage was at a fixed rate, things would get easier over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 AM

49 posts, read 47,305 times
The house has electric heating - and a pellet stove. The roof looks like it is near the end of its life.

When I put in an offer on the place, I forgot to calculate in the price being a bit more to roll the closing cost in. It's funny how a $100 isn't a lot (compared to all the other house costs) and is a lot.

Meh, next year STAR would come into effect and leave me with $100 more. I should also be getting a raise when would give me $200 more a month. If my car last (I drive a lot of miles), still more money. And 3 paycheck months would give money to put in savings, plus I would be getting a good tax return next year.

But anything major happens in the meantime, credit card Bill's can quickly snowball into a massive amount.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,196,468 times
Your asking for a major headache!

What do you do when the boiler breaks down? What about when oil jumps up to $4 a gallon out of the blue? What about when your car registration and inspection is up or it breaks down?

Just save more money and wait and buy, that’s your best move.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:27 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,066,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowls View Post
The house has electric heating - and a pellet stove. The roof looks like it is near the end of its life.
Electric heat? OMG. Unless the house is REALLY small, meaning that the pellet stove will be able to heat most of it, you are not going to be happy with your electric bill at all.

A new roof is a major expense. I don't know the size or style of your would-be house but just as a point of comparison, last December (off-season!) the best price we got to re-roof a ranch with a footprint of 30' x 60' with GAF Timberline HD shingles, and tearing off just a single layer of old roofing, was $19K. Even if the house is a small cape, you will be looking at $10K easily.

May I ask what year the house was built? Because by your description (esp. with the electric heat and pellet stove) it sounds as if it may have originally been an "oldie" bungalow on an oversized property that has been updated now and again over time but was originally built in perhaps the 1930s or 1940s? I may be off base, of course, it's just a hunch.

Old (1940s or older) houses have their own unique set of potential problems. For example, if you want to eventually convert to baseboard or forced air heat (or add air conditioning if it only has window units now), it's typically trickier (read: more expensive) in an old house. And please don't tell me the walls are lath and plaster rather than drywall!

Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,076,436 times
Credit cards are the tools of Satan.
The biggest ripoff of all time is credit cards.
Wont have them. I like keeping as much of my money as possible.
I know plenty of fools in debt for life because they live from card to card.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:32 PM

22,729 posts, read 36,954,536 times
Electric heat, new roof, car on its last leg....we are being trolled guys.

TGIF.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:36 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,573,198 times
I smell a troll. I don't know of any house on LI with electric heat.

Last edited by lubby; 08-24-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 07:12 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,217,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I smell a troll. I don't know of any house on LI with electric heat.
While not common, there are homes with electric heat.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,076,436 times
Lotsa electric heat homes out there. Specially Suffolk.
See them all the time. Different kinds of electric heat too, obviously baseboard, heatpump, convection panels, etc...

Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 PM

19,333 posts, read 17,223,483 times
Maybe someone got tired of escalating oil prices at some point; either way the OP has no reserve to cover anything should it arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island