Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,411,013 times

Advertisements

Lie is the best way off the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Lie is the best way off the island.
Belt Parkway and over the bridge to Staten Island is my suggestion. You don't have to get through any part of Manhattan using this route.

The afternoon I left LI permanently I got stuck for 3 hours in traffic trying to get from the Bronx to Fort Lee, NJ. This was less than 5 miles, and a fitting good-bye. I didn't get to my first stop upstate until past midnight thanks to this delay.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:44 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Belt Parkway and over the bridge to Staten Island is my suggestion. You don't have to get through any part of Manhattan using this route.

The afternoon I left LI permanently I got stuck for 3 hours in traffic trying to get from the Bronx to Fort Lee, NJ. This was less than 5 miles, and a fitting good-bye. I didn't get to my first stop upstate until past midnight thanks to this delay.
Can't tow a trailer on the Belt unless you're a rebel.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:17 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you are ok with making $50K a year or less there are plenty of jobs in Tampa. Tons around $30K such as call center work.
That old stereotype is a myth now. Plenty of high paying jobs and companies eager to steal good northern employees. My friend just got flown down and put up in nice digs just to interview and I got an offer $20k more than I make here. On the flip side, housing prices are soaring too so it becomes more of a lateral move except for no state tax (and the weather). I find LI pays crap (unless you're a cop or teacher). They know they can cut $25k from anyone wanting to end a NYC commute and enough will entertain it.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM

22,677 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

That's funny, we left at 6:00 p.m. on a summer Friday night and thought we would just stay over in NJ and it would take hours to get there. In reality there was not a lot of traffic and we stayed over in Columbia, MD.

However the next day we were stuck, and I mean at a standstill, in NoVA for quite some time, which reaffirmed our decision not to move THERE!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's funny, we left at 6:00 p.m. on a summer Friday night and thought we would just stay over in NJ and it would take hours to get there. In reality there was not a lot of traffic and we stayed over in Columbia, MD.

However the next day we were stuck, and I mean at a standstill, in NoVA for quite some time, which reaffirmed our decision not to move THERE!
My bad, it was probably closer to 5 hours in traffic getting to NJ, as I left LI at 4ish and arrived in Binghamton after midnight. One lane on the GW Bridge was closed off because of an accident, screwing up traffic for miles back. It's so congested in NYC, there's absolutely no slack if a lane closes. The delay felt like NY was giving me "the finger."

Where I moved to in SW, the lack of airport traffic and quietude was frankly disturbing. I have no idea why.

NoVA is close to the seat of government and there's a major airport nearby, so no surprise that traffic was bad.

No, I did not tow a trailer. I do crazy things, but I'm not a hillbilly. Sheesh.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
That old stereotype is a myth now. Plenty of high paying jobs and companies eager to steal good northern employees. My friend just got flown down and put up in nice digs just to interview and I got an offer $20k more than I make here. On the flip side, housing prices are soaring too so it becomes more of a lateral move except for no state tax (and the weather). I find LI pays crap (unless you're a cop or teacher). They know they can cut $25k from anyone wanting to end a NYC commute and enough will entertain it.
It's not a total myth, and yes, there are companies that will recruit from anywhere. But Tampa still doesn't have the critical mass of the tristate area for tech jobs. I know this area pretty well.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:16 PM

20,083 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Tampa and Orlando are boomin'

Old 08-01-2018, 05:46 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
I wouldn’t move anyplace where there are a ton of NY or CA transplants and that includes Florida, Texas, Colorado, Washington, Virginia, Arizona, North Carolina, etc. They’re all gradually becoming exactly like the places those transplants came from. You’d have to go someplace out west to really be rid of them but I can’t handle the winters in places like that. Also I need to be near the coast. Dunno... South Carolina maybe?

Old 08-05-2018, 07:10 PM

1,124 posts, read 928,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I wouldn’t move anyplace where there are a ton of NY or CA transplants and that includes Florida, Texas, Colorado, Washington, Virginia, Arizona, North Carolina, etc. They’re all gradually becoming exactly like the places those transplants came from. You’d have to go someplace out west to really be rid of them but I can’t handle the winters in places like that. Also I need to be near the coast. Dunno... South Carolina maybe?
Not a lot of New Yorkers, but I hope you’re head over heels for Ohioans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island