Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not really familiar with Brentwood but the northern part near Washington Avenue did not seem so bad to me.

Anyway there has been far too much talk on this thread about the negativity of Brentwood. Most people in Brentwood are not criminals. Not only is it insulting to working and middle class people in Brentwood, it is not a huge factor for most of Commack. The Commack-Brentwood border is a small area, most of it is taken up by an industrial park (part of the Hauppauge Business area is actually in Commack). And the border with Brentwood is actually one of Commack's smaller boundaries with neighboring communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commack,_New_York

Commack neighbors clockwise are:

Kings Park
Smithtown
Hauppauge
Brentwood
Dix Hills
Elwood
East Northport
Fort Salonga

Looks to me like the majority of Commack's neighbors are pretty solid.
Your name is LINative and you are not familiar with Brentwood? Huh?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
I am not really familiar with Brentwood but the northern part near Washington Avenue did not seem so bad to me.

Anyway there has been far too much talk on this thread about the negativity of Brentwood. Most people in Brentwood are not criminals. Not only is it insulting to working and middle class people in Brentwood, it is not a huge factor for most of Commack. The Commack-Brentwood border is a small area, most of it is taken up by an industrial park (part of the Hauppauge Business area is actually in Commack). And the border with Brentwood is actually one of Commack's smaller boundaries with neighboring communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commack,_New_York

Commack neighbors clockwise are:

Kings Park
Smithtown
Hauppauge
Brentwood
Dix Hills
Elwood
East Northport
Fort Salonga

Looks to me like the majority of Commack's neighbors are pretty solid.
You're so correct, it's actually disgusting to me how people on this forum generalize people in Brentwood as being criminals. Yes the MS-13 thing is a serious issue, but aside from that Brentwood is a pretty normal place.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Aside from a gang that has a major presence in Brentwood, it’s a pretty normal place.... yeah, ok.

It’s right up there with Anytown USA.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Aside from a gang that has a major presence in Brentwood, it’s a pretty normal place.... yeah, ok.

It’s right up there with Anytown USA.
Yeah I'm serious. I'm not saying you can just write off that problem, but I stand by what I said.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:31 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Your name is LINative and you are not familiar with Brentwood? Huh?!
Care to contradict what I said or are you just trolling?

Btw, when I say I not really familiar with a place, all it means I claim to be no expert. On the other hand, I do not base my opinions on stereotypes of 60,000 people I never met either. Maybe something you should consider for yourself.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Care to contradict what I said or are you just trolling?

Btw, when I say I not really familiar with a place, all it means I claim to be no expert. On the other hand, I do not base my opinions on stereotypes of 60,000 people I never met either. Maybe something you should consider for yourself.
No, I make my considerations based on when I drive through the area on my way to other towns and generally don't have that 'just like any other town' feeling. Shady people walking the streets, most houses unkempt and rundown, and the types of stores in shopping centers that appeal to a certain crowd.

I know some people love to try to spin this into some sort of racial issue, but the fact of the matter is this area earns its reputation for a reason. In Commack or comparable towns, I wouldn't give a second thought to walking my dog at night. In Brentwood, not so much.

But thanks for speaking on my behalf. I don't need to meet an entire town's population to know its below average on all fronts.

But anyway, getting back to Commack....

Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
No, I make my considerations based on when I drive through the area on my way to other towns and generally don't have that 'just like any other town' feeling. Shady people walking the streets, most houses unkempt and rundown, and the types of stores in shopping centers that appeal to a certain crowd.

I know some people love to try to spin this into some sort of racial issue, but the fact of the matter is this area earns its reputation for a reason. In Commack or comparable towns, I wouldn't give a second thought to walking my dog at night. In Brentwood, not so much.

But thanks for speaking on my behalf. I don't need to meet an entire town's population to know its below average on all fronts.

But anyway, getting back to Commack....
In Brentwood, the businesses seemed pretty normal to me. Sure there are no high end stores, but that doesn't meant the residenrs are bad people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island