Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,662,508 times

Advertisements

Is it possible they had a VA exemption on the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 AM

4,707 posts, read 8,824,371 times
I seem to recall homes that were impacted by Sandy getting property tax relief. Perhaps that expired?

Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,815,506 times
Does the assessed value reset to reflect the higher sales price?

Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 AM

22,781 posts, read 37,193,337 times
any prior exemptions on the property do not explain the change in assessed value.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:53 AM

22,284 posts, read 19,656,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
My wife and I moved out to Long Island in December 2016, so just over a year ago. We're in an unincorporated area inside Town of Hempstead.

When we bought the house, the taxes were at about $12k. The previous homeowners just had basic STAR, nothing else (I also signed us up for STAR). According the Nassau Country LRV website, it was assessed at $370k for the 2016/2017 period. We paid $630k for it.

Now this year, our taxes have skyrocketed to over $18k, and the house is assessed at $515k. We grieved our taxes last year, but as I understand it, the grieving process lags two years behind, so you're always grieving for your taxes two years into the future. If that's true, then we weren't even living in the house during the period when we would have been eligible to grieve for the 2018 year.

My main concern relates to this note that's on the Nassu County website:

We did no renovations, and our assessed value went up by almost 40%. It doesn't say anything about an exclusion due to new sales. I've tried calling the Department of Assessment, but it just rings and rings and then says no one can answer, and to try again later.

My neighbor moved in 2 years ago, paid almost the same price for his house, and his taxes have stayed right around the $12k mark. This is also the case with a few of my coworkers. I've never heard of anyone's taxes jumping from $12k to over $18k in a single year, and even if it did, that seems to conflict with the rule about assessed values not increasing more than 6% a year.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Few possibilities I can think of.

1. Renovations were done on the property by the seller in the year prior to the current assessed period

2. Renovations may have been done in years prior, but the seller never made the county aware/ closed out any permits, etc until the year prior to the new assessment (somewhat common as some homeowners hold off on final permits until they know they need it such as prior to selling their home.

3. Seller's grieved and won their appeal of the the assessment used for last year's taxes. However, that appeal was not finalized before the assessment for this year's taxes came out. As a result the 6% max was tied to the previous year's assessed value prior to the reduction granted due to grieving. If this were to happen you would typically be able to grieve the taxes again and the 6% max increase would be tied to that reduction. However, in this case it appears that appeal never occurred.

Quote:
Will the 6% limit apply to the reduced assessment?
Yes. If you accept an offer of reduction from the Assessment Review Commission, the reduced assessment will be the base for the 6% limitation in the following year.
However, in some cases the new tentative assessment will be set before the revised assessment information is available. You will be entitled to a correction if this is the reason why the new assessment increases more than 6%; you may preserve your right to the correction by appealing the new assessment.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM
exm

3,759 posts, read 1,829,878 times
Yikes! I pay less in Garden City for my taxes. Seems to me someone made a mistake.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,552,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Yikes! I pay less in Garden City for my taxes. Seems to me someone made a mistake.
I certainly hope so... I'm still not sure what's going on.

Maybe there's just something simple I'm not understanding. If anyone wants to take a closer look, here are the values for our property. You can see how it jumped pretty high from 2017 to 2018. Fortunately it tentatively is dropping a little for 2019, but that's little consolation for right now.

This is our 2017 School taxes and this is our 2017 General taxes
This is the new 2018 School taxes and new 2018 General taxes.

Last edited by Febtober; 02-09-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 PM

13,078 posts, read 18,388,292 times
As was previously stated, was there a major reno that is kicking in under the exemptions rules.

https://archive.nassaucountyny.gov/a...omeimprove.pdf

Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 PM
exm

3,759 posts, read 1,829,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I certainly hope so... I'm still not sure what's going on.

Maybe there's just something simple I'm not understanding. If anyone wants to take a closer look, here are the values for our property. You can see how it jumped pretty high from 2017 to 2018. Fortunately it tentatively is dropping a little for 2019, but that's little consolation for right now.

This is our 2017 School taxes and this is our 2017 General taxes
This is the new 2018 School taxes and new 2018 General taxes.
First of all, did you file your appeal paperwork this year? If not, please do.

Second, call the county and ask the reason behind the big jump. Can't hurt, right?

Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,552,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As was previously stated, was there a major reno that is kicking in under the exemptions rules.

https://archive.nassaucountyny.gov/a...omeimprove.pdf
Except that there wasn't. About 8 years ago two of the bathrooms and the kitchen were updated, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
First of all, did you file your appeal paperwork this year? If not, please do.

Second, call the county and ask the reason behind the big jump. Can't hurt, right?
Yeah I've tried. It always just rings, then says that no one is available at this time and try again. I guess I'll just have to drive over there.

And yeah we've already done the grievance for this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island