Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 141,910 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, 1st of all I am not sure if this is the right place to post, anyways I am looking at a property in Levittown, which I would like to front dormer on top and add a garage or a den in the are where the garage is suppose to be, there is place for it but for now there is only sod there not even concrete..

has anyone gotten this work done , i see a lot of dormers in the vicinity.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,561,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedkhalsa View Post
Hi Folks, 1st of all I am not sure if this is the right place to post, anyways I am looking at a property in Levittown, which I would like to front dormer on top and add a garage or a den in the are where the garage is suppose to be, there is place for it but for now there is only sod there not even concrete..

has anyone gotten this work done , i see a lot of dormers in the vicinity.
thank you
Figure on $110 dollars per square foot. That does not include finish materials like paint or carpet....hope this helps. Watch for termites, Levitt are known for termite damage.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM

27 posts, read 141,910 times
Thanks KB, so you are saying like for a garage, which is 10ft x 20 ft. $110 per sqft includes everything? pour concrete , walls, insulation, roof, window, electric?

and for the dormer? is it good to chage the roof also while you dormer or do they use the old roof?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedkhalsa View Post
Thanks KB, so you are saying like for a garage, which is 10ft x 20 ft. $110 per sqft includes everything? pour concrete , walls, insulation, roof, window, electric?

and for the dormer? is it good to chage the roof also while you dormer or do they use the old roof?
Correct, thats for any building code compliance. You may want to add more outlets in the garage, it will cost you more. Fancy garage door will add $. So will a garage opener.

Now the garage per sq foot maybe allittle more for footings and slab but less in finishing costs. I would do both at the same time, costs will come down.

They can leave the roof or replace it. Depends how old and the condition of the existing roof is and how many layers are on the house.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM

You also have to think about the ability to match the existing siding or to side the whole hose....which is not included.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:42 PM

Where is your oil tank? I hope its not still buried, if so you may want to work that into the construction.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM

659 posts, read 2,521,325 times
These are great ideas. I too have a Levitt ranch. It is expanded 15 ft across the entire back of the house, but I am considering a front dormer, especially because we would like to add a bathroom on the second floor. Currently the slope of the room does not allow for a true bathroom. Our roof is only 2 years old. Does anyone have any idea of a general price range for just a front dormer (not a garage)? Also, any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are only in the home2 1/2 years and haven't done major construction ever in our lives. It's our 1st home.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:22 AM

IMO start with a good architect and make them stick to your budget......it will be the best money you spent on the project.

FYI typically the 2nd floor bathroom will be over or adjoining the 1st floor bathroom wet wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: