Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 PM

113 posts, read 277,411 times

Advertisements

Listen, I am currently living in Minneapolis, MN. I love this city with all my heart but the cold weather is really starting to affect me. I am just your typical Italian guy from Brooklyn. Simple, down to the Earth, no baloney type of guy. Now, my wifey is a native Minnesotan and she is sick of the cold too. I have thought about many cities and possibilities and I think she may like NYC. I have lived in Westchester County, Hoboken and others places in the NYC metro area, but never thought about LI. As children, we used to go to Jones Beach and I always wondered what it would be to live there. We want to buy our first home, something affordable, it doesnt matter if it is a condo or a small house but just something alright, preferably Nassau County. Any complaints about living in LI? Also, I would love to live on the LIRR and be able to commute to Manhattan. Let me know the good and the bad, as long as you give me no bull, I will be your good friend. Tell me what you got for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 04:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,875 times
Just surf through all the threads about Long Island.

My advice is your better off staying in Minneapolics, MN.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
If you own a home, have a family and like your job.....STAY THERE! Its very tough getting started here.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM

68 posts, read 294,110 times
Well now is the time to buy a house here they are falling in price and there are foresclosures everywhere. But taxes are high 7,000-10,000 a year for a modest house. Go to mlsli.com and search Nassau County you'll get an idea.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Most likely the exact opposite in almost all regards to where you live now...........

Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 PM

128 posts, read 234,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Most likely the exact opposite in almost all regards to where you live now...........
He will proberly like Bayside, Jones Beach is NOT was it was even 10 years ago btw.
During Summer you can walk for 10 minutes and not hear one person speaking English. Dont even ask what inhabits the West End, I went there by mistake one day !!!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastBeefJackson View Post
He will proberly like Bayside, Jones Beach is NOT was it was even 10 years ago btw.
During Summer you can walk for 10 minutes and not hear one person speaking English. Dont even ask what inhabits the West End, I went there by mistake one day !!!

I don't know about Bayside; it is not an Italian type neighborhood by a long shot.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't know about Bayside; it is not an Italian type neighborhood by a long shot.
Really? My grandparents were Italian and they lived in Bayside before they moved to Setauket. Some of their siblings still live there and I know alot of their friends lived there as well. Has it changed that much?

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,525 times
Check out Massapequa....è un posto piacevole.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:58 PM

128 posts, read 234,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Really? My grandparents were Italian and they lived in Bayside before they moved to Setauket. Some of their siblings still live there and I know alot of their friends lived there as well. Has it changed that much?
Most the Italians in Bayside now live on the East side of Bell near the childrens Hospital or in Dougliston Manor.
Yes no doubt Massapequia (most the town) however that LIRR train ride to Manhatten is longer and not fun.

Yes Bayside has changed but not as much as lets say Great Neck, Manhasset where North Shore LIJ hospital, Its immigrant staff combined with Democrats messed up the whole Town of North Hempsted.
Bayside has less taxes, less traffic, less immigrants "of the troublesome type" and a nice fun strip of bars and things to do at night and you dont need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island