Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,778,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Really? My grandparents were Italian and they lived in Bayside before they moved to Setauket. Some of their siblings still live there and I know alot of their friends lived there as well. Has it changed that much?
My extended family lived in a private home over by Bay Terrace. During the 30 years they lived there (1974-2004) there was a very gradual shift in the area. At first it reminded me demographically of my neighborhood in Massapequa (many Italian and Jewish families) but as houses in my extended family's part of Bayside sold, a fair number of Asian families started to buy those houses.

I should have said that while there are Italian families still in Bayside, the Italian-American population is not as large as it once was.

Overall, I believe Bayside has a great mix of people and it is my favorite place in Queens. If I had to move to Queens, that's where I would move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,662,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastBeefJackson View Post
Most the Italians in Bayside now live on the East side of Bell near the childrens Hospital or in Dougliston Manor.
Yes no doubt Massapequia (most the town) however that LIRR train ride to Manhatten is longer and not fun.

Yes Bayside has changed but not as much as lets say Great Neck, Manhasset where North Shore LIJ hospital, Its immigrant staff combined with Democrats messed up the whole Town of North Hempsted.
Bayside has less taxes, less traffic, less immigrants "of the troublesome type" and a nice fun strip of bars and things to do at night and you dont need a car.
Many Koeans and Chinese. Moved from Bayside to Garden City...no city income tax, pay $1000 less in car insurance, $250 less in home insurance, Queens is loaded with traffic and crap development, much better schools on LI.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:14 PM

999 posts, read 2,361,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
Listen, I am currently living in Minneapolis, MN. I love this city with all my heart but the cold weather is really starting to affect me. I am just your typical Italian guy from Brooklyn. Simple, down to the Earth, no baloney type of guy. Also, I would love to live on the LIRR and be able to commute to Manhattan. Let me know the good and the bad, as long as you give me no bull, I will be your good friend. Tell me what you got for us.

Listen kid....no bs...there is so much stupid bs here it's enough that you want to kill them, a lot of them, most of them, especially what's running the govt here....no this , no that...

Long island is, well long island ok, nothing great, nothing to bad, there all ok... I don't know what part of brooklyn you grew up in, but don't expect to find that neighborhood here, no talking , no one knows anyone, 90% couldn't tell you the neighbors down the block across the street or anything, scared, the boogie man is around the block in this neighborhood or that neighborhood, you'll die if you're here or there....mother goose is releated to most long islanders..

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,662,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Listen kid....no bs...there is so much stupid bs here it's enough that you want to kill them, a lot of them, most of them, especially what's running the govt here....no this , no that...

Long island is, well long island ok, nothing great, nothing to bad, there all ok... I don't know what part of brooklyn you grew up in, but don't expect to find that neighborhood here, no talking , no one knows anyone, 90% couldn't tell you the neighbors down the block across the street or anything, scared, the boogie man is around the block in this neighborhood or that neighborhood, you'll die if you're here or there....mother goose is releated to most long islanders..
We just went to a murder mystery dinner with our next door neighbors and neighbors from 4 houses down the block. Our other neighbor helps me with the plumbing in my house and another down the block helped me pick a good guy to redo my siding and roof. I've been here less than 1 year. I think I'm pretty content w/ all the boogie people in my area.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,884,365 times
Stay where you are unless you enjoy horrible traffic on every major roadway, crowds everywhere, ridiculously high taxes that get worse every year, more and more gangs in the schools, high taxes, rude people, hot, humid summers, cold damp winters, more and more liberalism and all it implies and did I mention high taxes? I'm retiring in two years and can't wait to get away from LI and NY.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM

999 posts, read 2,361,271 times
You know 4 people, on 1 block.... You are missing the point...but if you think that is great and makes a tight neighborhood, i rest my case

Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 30,956 times
iv lived in massapequa all my life, im 27, before my daughter iv always wanted to move somewhere glamorous like the city or miami or california, but now theres no other place id rather raise my daughter. LI is wonderful for families, its only a train ride from the city (thats where your family is right?) but new york is very expensive in general, so if you have a very good career choices than it shouldnt be a problem. the school district i went to was excellent. massapequa is a very nice town very italian and jewish. the north shore is a lot more elite and expensive. the south shore is more affordable.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,778,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.erin View Post
iv lived in massapequa all my life, im 27, before my daughter iv always wanted to move somewhere glamorous like the city or miami or california, but now theres no other place id rather raise my daughter. LI is wonderful for families, its only a train ride from the city (thats where your family is right?) but new york is very expensive in general, so if you have a very good career choices than it shouldnt be a problem. the school district i went to was excellent. massapequa is a very nice town very italian and jewish. the north shore is a lot more elite and expensive. the south shore is more affordable.
Plainedge or Massapequa Schools?

I hate to sound picky, but if you are going to write about the excellent school district you once attended, please try and take a moment to proofread your post. I've only indicated a few of the errors, and chances are they were made in haste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island