Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,585,266 times

Advertisements

Good luck.....I think you are going to need as much as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:22 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,432,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahr85 View Post
Thank you all for commenting..my father in law is pushing the navien combo unit on us for some reason...I'm an accountant and truly no nothing about this kind of stuff. I just bought a used navien on Craigslist for $600- the guy who was selling it is a licensed plumber and certified navien tech...we're going to have him do the install - his quote was a fraction of the $8-10K I was quoted elsewhere..wish us luck!!!
Yikes! A used modcon? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 AM

5,315 posts, read 4,823,480 times
I can't understand why anyone would want a combi boiler...

Old 08-12-2017, 09:05 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,432,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want a combi boiler...
In the right situations they work just fine. Used though? I would run.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
In the right situations they work just fine. Used though? I would run.
I'm sure they do, but lots of disadvantages like if power is lost instant hot water loss

Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM

26 posts, read 56,019 times
Red flag? Possibly but I'm a risk taker.,.have saved thousands in the past when we did our kitchen remodel and purchased all high end DCS and Fisher and Paykel appliances still under warrantee for $4K from someone on Craigslist - original receipt subtotaled $15K...I only paid the guy 50% upfront. It was a unit that was taken out of a home he worked in as they needed something more powerful since they did an addition on the house...could very well be a bull **** story...we shall see

Last edited by ahr85; 08-13-2017 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahr85 View Post
Red flag? Possibly but I'm a risk taker.,.have saved thousands in the past when we did our kitchen remodel and purchased all high end DCS and Fisher and Paykel appliances still under warrantee for $4K from someone on Craigslist - original receipt subtotaled $15K...I only paid the guy 50% upfront. It was a unit that was taken out of a home he worked in as they needed something more powerful since they did an addition on the house...could very well be a bull **** story...we shall see
I agree, yeah it's a risk but they worst that could happen is you are out 600 bucks. You will still have all the required plumbing work done etc and could just swap boilers if it came down to it.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,585,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I agree, yeah it's a risk but they worst that could happen is you are out 600 bucks. You will still have all the required plumbing work done etc and could just swap boilers if it came down to it.
Worse that could happen? Well, the worse that could happen is that the boiler is installed improperly and it floods the house, or it explodes, or it causes a fire or worse, CO poisoning.

Better make sure this guy is who he says he is.....

Dishwasher is one thing, piping natural gas is another.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Worse that could happen? Well, the worse that could happen is that the boiler is installed improperly and it floods the house, or it explodes, or it causes a fire or worse, CO poisoning.

Better make sure this guy is who he says he is.....

Dishwasher is one thing, piping natural gas is another.
He said the guy is a certified installer. At what point did the OP even imply that this installer isn't qualified to do the job?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:41 PM

755 posts, read 1,088,264 times
I had wanted a navien combo unit in the past too. But the price put me off. Buying off internet and losing the warranty wasn't an option for me.

The final reason I eventually passed on the idea, I met someone who had it. He has a typical 3 bed 2 ba log island high ranch. After a couple months, he had to add a 2nd unit for more hot water. He does have 3 daughters, two of which are teenagers. So maybe their requirements are unusually high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: