Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:22 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,451,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ What do you mean?

"In Suffolk County, homes sold for a median price of $336,000, a year-over-year increase of 3.4 percent."

I have no problem with a 3.4% yearly increase. No, its not as big as Nassau's but I like the space!!
Almost back to 2004 levels then. Average in 2006 was $398,600. 2009? $327,400.

So if you bought in the upturn you are still under water. If you bought in 2009 after 8 years you are even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,570,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Great advice!
So I should walk away from my house too?

Tell me what part of L.I. I can "Rent" a 1700 SF, 3 BR, 2 bath, with a basement & garage for the current price of my mortgage amount of $2,600? Which includes my taxes & homeowners insurance too?

You need some "BASIC" Economic classes.
Didn't think I'd get an answer back.
Basic economics

Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM

9,938 posts, read 23,300,898 times
Quote:
Basic economics
There are five

Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,798,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There are five
I'm willing to bet money that this humble NYC MoD from Far Rockaway would have no problem living in any one of them....I know one right off the bat has no LIRR stop so that's an automatic no.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM

280 posts, read 289,170 times
Quote:
Basic economics
Your going to get an answer, just not the one you want.

In economics;

The demand for Housing on Long Island has become inelastic, there are no substitutes to be found in a captive market. In a captive market you have two choices;

1) accept captivity, and accept the price no matter what it is (eg a $5 cup of coffee in an airport)
2) escape captivity, leave the market (and get a cup of coffee for the correct price $1.50)

As I have explained "captivity" has occurred because of of debt accumulation, mismanagement, and criminal enterprise (eg public policy).

AS to rent or buy; If you had to live here (as a captive, in a captive market) the correct financial decision would be to RENT even if the "monthly payment for renting would be more than taxes+mortgage+insurance. The advantage of renting is that you can exit at will rather than being stuck in a losing proposition for thirty years. The real cost of buying has to include opportunity cost and it has to take into account both time and risk.

FYI I taught basic economics when I was on a full scholarship in graduate school... In my very early retirement I am continually dragged back to work in a "family office" for copious amounts of drinking. https://www.forbes.com/sites/russala.../#618a0d287708 We discuss bying everything from farms, complete busiensses, rental property, foreign property, defunct hedge funds, distressed debt, distressed mortgage debt, legal claims, funding litigation, collecting on class actions, and basically whatever can make money. I have actually looked at mortgage backed securities, mortgage pools, senior secured trances of the same and tranches so bad they only had voting rights.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post

In economics;

The demand for Housing on Long Island has become inelastic, there are no substitutes to be found in a captive market. In a captive market you have two choices;

1) accept captivity, and accept the price no matter what it is (eg a $5 cup of coffee in an airport)
2) escape captivity, leave the market (and get a cup of coffee for the correct price $1.50)

As I have explained "captivity" has occurred because of of debt accumulation, mismanagement, and criminal enterprise (eg public policy).

AS to rent or buy; If you had to live here (as a captive, in a captive market) the correct financial decision would be to RENT even if the "monthly payment for renting would be more than taxes+mortgage+insurance. The advantage of renting is that you can exit at will rather than being stuck in a losing proposition for thirty years. The real cost of buying has to include opportunity cost and it has to take into account both time and risk.

FYI I taught basic economics when I was on a full scholarship in graduate school... In my very early retirement I am continually dragged back to work in a "family office" for copious amounts of drinking. https://www.forbes.com/sites/russala.../#618a0d287708 We discuss bying everything from farms, complete busiensses, rental property, foreign property, defunct hedge funds, distressed debt, distressed mortgage debt, legal claims, funding litigation, collecting on class actions, and basically whatever can make money. I have actually looked at mortgage backed securities, mortgage pools, senior secured trances of the same and tranches so bad they only had voting rights.

So when my home losses 75% in value (Like you stated in a previous post) I can then buy a 400k home for 100k. I'll buy 5 of them for 500k and rent them for $2500+ each per month! Make a fortune! Basic Economics.

"In early retirement " says it all!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,382,975 times
Quote:

In economics;

Contrary to what you say, many areas are doing well. I tried to buy apiece of crap home in my Nassau county Hamlet so I could renovate and rent it. It sold in days for 460k(amazing price for a ranch in the area on a 12k sq ft lot) and 2 months later it is now back on the market (still being built) for 1.1mm. Guess what I assure you the house sells within 50k of asking since it happens all the time. We are a suburb of the largest city in the country. There is no more land, and there is demand. The housing market keeps trending up value wise because builders,developers and investors are buying up the smaller and cheaper homes in nice neighborhoods and knocking them down for brand new houses, as you know this drives the prices up for everything else in the area. Not every one want's to leave and as long as NYC prices are insane LI prices will be also.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Supply & Demand.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,798,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Contrary to what you say, many areas are doing well. I tried to buy apiece of crap home in my Nassau county Hamlet so I could renovate and rent it. It sold in days for 460k(amazing price for a ranch in the area on a 12k sq ft lot) and 2 months later it is now back on the market (still being built) for 1.1mm. Guess what I assure you the house sells within 50k of asking since it happens all the time. We are a suburb of the largest city in the country. There is no more land, and there is demand. The housing market keeps trending up value wise because builders,developers and investors are buying up the smaller and cheaper homes in nice neighborhoods and knocking them down for brand new houses, as you know this drives the prices up for everything else in the area. Not every one want's to leave and as long as NYC prices are insane LI prices will be also.
What hamlet? Without that info, you're serving a bacon egg and cheese on a roll without the bacon, egg, or the cheese.....

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,955,638 times
Quote:

In economics;

It is all so much clearer now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island