Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 AM

280 posts, read 286,841 times

Advertisements

I know people who had to "walk away" from real estate. It used to be very common when interest rates were 10% or ARMS around the same time. It also happened in FL, NV, and AZ. Now that this ancient fact seems like an impossibility validates the posit that this will happen on LI in the future.

There are many homes on LI that people have walked away from. Those homes (and the loans) are never "worked out." The net effect of failing to work bad debt out is that things become overly expensive (in both purchase and rent.) The egregiously high costs of rent are too low from an ROI point of view. The rents are also a function of failure to "work out" zombie real estate.

It used to be recognized that a foreclosure near you would adversely effect your homes value. That is not the case now!

Here are people that walked away (With many people living for free simply by not paying their mortgage;

Number of abandoned 'zombie' houses continues to grow | Newsday

Who is the sucker; The guy living in a house for free? Or the guy buying a house next to the guy living in his house for free? Or the fellow that said that the costs here were not worth the benefits. Of course you are going to be a good toadie and never walk away.

Last edited by martinx; 04-19-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
If anyone plans on "walking away" from their house here on LI please let me know. lol.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If anyone plans on "walking away" from their house here on LI please let me know. lol.
In the good old days you could buy property on the county steps; Today you will overpay on any house being auctioned off.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
I know a few who lived mortgage/tax free for 3 or more years and left the keys on the counter when they left. Hell, their credit score is probably already back to positive by now, and bought elsewhere with the cash saved. The house sold for dirt to a flipper, then resold for less than original, weakening the tax base (which means putting it on the backs of everyone else). Add the Sandy casualties condemned or govt acquired...also taken off the tax rolls. We pay the difference once again. martin may be obnoxious but his over-arching point of "you stay you pay" is pretty friggin apt. Others leave, we seem to pay more. New ones come in, we still somehow seem to pay more! Yeah, it's a little aggravating! lol

Is this LI's idea of a hot market?! Values almost back to 2007 with less tax revenue, while the rest of America is up 7+%? Bronx up 18%. LI math?!

When do we stop being NYC's condo complex and start being a valid entity ourselves? But I digress...save it for my Nimby threads.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 04-19-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I know a few who lived mortgage/tax free for 3 or more years and left the keys on the counter when they left. Hell, their credit score is probably already back to positive by now, and bought elsewhere with the cash saved. The house sold for dirt to a flipper, then resold for less than original, weakening the tax base (which means putting it on the backs of everyone else). Add the Sandy casualties condemned or govt acquired...also taken off the tax rolls. We pay the difference once again. martin may be obnoxious but his over-arching point of "you stay you pay" is pretty friggin apt. Others leave, we seem to pay more. New ones come in, we still somehow seem to pay more! Yeah, it's a little aggravating! lol

Is this LI's idea of a hot market?! Values almost back to 2007 with less tax revenue, while the rest of America is up 7+%? Bronx up 18%. LI math?!

When do we stop being NYC's condo complex and start being a valid entity ourselves? But I digress...save it for my Nimby threads.
Once again the LI market is hot. Nassau and Suffolk are different. Most areas in Nassau are doing very well. Especially when they have a good or walkable train station with a solid SD. Of course Most areas in HHH SD do well in Suffolk and a few other Western Suffolk. NYC real estate drives LI real estate and city folks moving to the burbs don't want to live in Suffolk due to the commute. Suffolk will never ever recover, it's no shock people want to be under 45 mi on the train and that eliminates basically the entire county except CSH and ares of Melville.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM

^^ What do you mean?

"In Suffolk County, homes sold for a median price of $336,000, a year-over-year increase of 3.4 percent."

I have no problem with a 3.4% yearly increase. No, its not as big as Nassau's but I like the space!!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
It looks like its way more lucrative for MS-13 to give up their criminal ways and get real estate licenses, because I'm getting from the way most posters feel on here, money is not an issue when it comes to real estate in Nassau County. But seriously, since when does property tax go down by itself?

The point of buying a house is so that you look forward to paying off the mortgage. Whats the point when the tax bill is already 800-900 a month.....what do you think it will be when the mortgage is paid off?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM

^^ When the mortgage is paid off, its retirement time. And for most that means moving off LI.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
^^ When the mortgage is paid off, its retirement time. And for most that means moving off LI.
Retirement requires you to move out of Long Island. I think immigrants are a big part of the home buying engine, as such three income households may become the transitory norm.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Sure you did.
I did. Based on advise I read on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island