Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM

133 posts, read 498,447 times

Advertisements

I love Strong Island too! Suffolk county has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country IMO. It breaks my heart when the Islanders play the Rangers because then I am forced to choose between my two homes. Other than that I love Long Island!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,514,085 times
Sea-beauty! stretch'd and basking!
One side thy inland ocean laving, broad, with copious commerce,
steamers, sails,
And one the Atlantic's wind caressing, fierce or gentle--mighty hulls
dark-gliding in the distance.
Isle of sweet brooks of drinking-water--healthy air and soil!
Isle of the salty shore and breeze and brine!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:52 PM

245 posts, read 298,792 times
Default I love Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
I just wanted to say how much i love long island! I know there are a lot of people here that hate it but i love it. My husband is a police officer and has to stay in NY. i grew up in New Jersey, and i moved here for him about 5 years ago. I honestly love it and would never go back to jersey. Even where i grew up, i don't even like going to visit anymore.

anybody else love long island?
I find the griping fatiguing too.

Each weekend my wife and I find newer and better things to do with our son. The parks are wonderful, the downtown areas aren't over-trafficked. The people are educated. The schools are fantastic. Crime is low. Beaches are nearby. NYC is nearby. Great book stores. Great beer. Terrific summer weather - though very wet during the fall, winter, and spring months - eh?

Love it!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I find the griping fatiguing too.

Each weekend my wife and I find newer and better things to do with our son. The parks are wonderful, the downtown areas aren't over-trafficked. The people are educated. The schools are fantastic. Crime is low. Beaches are nearby. NYC is nearby. Great book stores. Great beer. Terrific summer weather - though very wet during the fall, winter, and spring months - eh?

Love it!

I totally agree on all counts. Where do you live?

Did you ever check out the Sands Point Museum? Gorgeous.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM

245 posts, read 298,792 times
Default East Northport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post

I live in East Northport. There is nothing spectacular about East Northport, except its proximity to Northport, Huntington and Crab Meadow - but it is central to all the things I like.

I have not been to that museum. Please tell me about it.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,618 times
I'm a former LI'er whose house is on the market so that the three of us (me, hubby and baby girl) can move back (wish me luck!) My husband is from the Midwest and I am looking forward to showing him around more. I'm also excited to take my daughter to all the places I loved as a child.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I live in East Northport. There is nothing spectacular about East Northport, except its proximity to Northport, Huntington and Crab Meadow - but it is central to all the things I like.

I have not been to that museum. Please tell me about it.
Every year they have jousting and a Medieval festival. We went last year. It was really beautiful, overlooking the water. Gorgeous castle tours, Falaise (Falaise is one of the few intact historic houses remaining on Long Island’s Gold Coast), nature trails, etc.
The Sands Point Preserve - A Gold Coast Treasure If you have children they have an Amazing Animals exhibit that your child might enjoy.

Also visited Old Westbury Gardens. Really beautiful to tour the mansion and grounds.
Welcome to Old Westbury Gardens

On our list (we haven't gone in yet, just drove to it) is Sagamore Hill in Syosset.
Sagamore Hill National Historic Site - Sagamore Hill NHS (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,662 times
Default Another recommendation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post

Discovered this the other weekend and it is right in NYNewbie's neck of the woods: Vanderbilt museum in Centerport hosts a family "bedtime story" this time of year. Next one is the 16th of this month. They do it in the Planetarium, putting up huge pictures and the kiddies go in comfy pajamas as they present classic bedtime stories for about an hour. You can bring blankets, pillows, etc. 6$ per person and well worth it. Kids hopefully fall asleep on the ride home. As a sidenote Centerport is beautiful...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 AM

270 posts, read 964,961 times
i'm glad i started this thread! It is nice to hear all the good things about long island instead of the bad....:-) The only bad thing i can even think of is that it can be a little expensive. (at least the areas i want to move too....LOL) I also like finding out all of the things to do that i never knew about!

let's keep the thread going!!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 AM

40 posts, read 196,383 times
Default I am happy here too

I love LI. I grew up out east and now live in Nassau (work in NYC). I have lived in other places but just never felt happy anywhere else. I don't mind the winter so much..there is plenty do to inside! The fall and spring are awesome. I could never live without the ocean...it's the one place I truly feel peaceful. I visit the beaches all 4 seasons...although not always wearing a bathing suit! Even though it's expensive to live it's worth it to me. And my DH has a large family here that we love. My parents moved here from down south before I was born and I grew up with NO extended family. Rarely saw them on holidays, never went to grandma's house for Sunday dinner, never had cousins to play with or had any aunt/uncle relationships. It was sad and I did know what I was missing. I just can't do that to my son so we stay here...and thankfully we are happy.

And I agree that Sands Point Preserve is one of the most beautiful places around! And don't miss Caumsett State Park!

All the best to my fellow Long Island lovers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island