Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

61 posts, read 228,264 times

Advertisements

Step up to the plate folks. wt CAPITAL F keeps you in this apparent suburban nightmare? The taxes are high. Traffic sucks. Illegal aliens are taking over. Things are getting just a tad too "diverse" for many. Cops and teachers make too much money. School budget votes make as much sense as Charlie Sheen on acid.

Why do YOU put up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,337,457 times
Most ppl probably moved here so they can live a suburban lifestyle without living in New Jersey, which has a very very negative stigma attached with it..

But besides the overwhelming amount of closeted racists, sky-high taxes, closemindedness and snobbery; I really like Long Island. I love the variety in our housing stocks, whenever I travel I only see 1 or 2 different types of homes but in LI, we get ranches, splanches, vintage colonials, capes, center-hall colonials, hi-ranches, everything!! Which means more choices, options and opportunities for customization! I swear, everytime I leave the tri-state, every house is the same new colonial-type house in identical looking subdivisions..

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-26-2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM

74 posts, read 207,698 times
I was born here...and I'm a teacher making loads of money.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,418,816 times
I love reading these "my town is better than yours" threads....LMAO. This site has really gone downhill.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM

208 posts, read 492,923 times
can"t think of 1 reason 10 Billion houses 5 feet away from each other
for 100 miles how Boring

And if i travel 4.000 FT im in Mexico (Farmingville)

However i have been To NYC and i have to say if these were the only 2 places left in the world i Choose LI

Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I love reading these "my town is better than yours" threads....LMAO. This site has really gone downhill.
uh.....hmmmm?

Please re-read the original post. This isn't about whose town is better. It's about why anyone would want to live on Long Island, given the fact that the popular perception amongst the inhabitants of the aforementioned site, who frequent the Message Board dedicated solely to said locale, is that of doom and despair, yet, many of them actually live here.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
can"t think of 1 reason 10 Billion houses 5 feet away from each other
for 100 miles how Boring

And if i travel 4.000 FT im in Mexico (Farmingville)

However i have been To NYC and i have to say if these were the only 2 places left in the world i Choose LI
Go to Main St Flushing and yell out "Hey you!"

Half of Main Street will turn around.

When some one responds "Who, me?!", the other half will turn around.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,044,796 times
I love this forum.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,204,823 times
Not sure if I LOVE LI, but am staying here for now because:
1.Family are all here. Don't want my kids to see Grandparents only 2x a year.
2. Schools - been happy so far with education my kids have gotten
3. Weather being stuck out in the Atlantic helps just enough to keep us a little cooler in summer and little hotter in winter. Also much lower risk of tornados and other severe weather.
4. Low crime rate
5. Less rednecks per capita than other areas
6. Less meth heads per capita than other areas
7. Less areas that are featured in "Cops" compared to other regions
8. Problem areas tend to be separated out from middle class areas.

Will I stay here forever? Probably not. Can't see being able to retire here without a pension, so probably will follow kids out of state or relocate down to Florida for a lower cost of living when they leave for college in 8-10 years. Until then I'll be relatively happy for the small crappy house I have which keeps my taxes lower than the tuition for a private school I'd need to pay for in Florida.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:30 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,480,887 times
Same reason as everyone else I know my age still living here: Family/Child Care issues. If my parents move we're out 10 minutes after them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island