Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,044,291 times

Advertisements

I drive a Jeep Patriot. For the life of me I cannot get a light tap on the horn with this vehicle. So if you hear someone honk at you and it sounds slightly more annoying then a light tap but less then a full blare it could be me so please accept my apologies in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 07:41 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
What about when you're the 2nd car at the light. The first car doesn't go when it turns green. Then the 3rd car, the one behind you, honks. That puts you in a funny position...you want to convey to the first car that you aren't the one who honked...especially if the 3rd car didn't give much of a grace period and/or did a really long nasty honk. But you can't convey it...any hand gestures will likely just look like you're really mad...the first guy already thinks you honked at him. If you're 3rd in line, it's not your place to honk at the first guy, please remember that.
I always stare into my rear view mirror so hopefully car #1 knows I am looking at and blaming car #3. Sometimes i do this anyway so car #3 gets the blame.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,044,291 times
I love when the driver in car#2 flips out when car#3 beeps when it is clearly obvious you're beeping at car#1. Makes you wonder what the hell they're concentrating on behind the wheel.

Last edited by ralphfr; 03-22-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,544,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
texting or phone = VTL violation. Record license plate, & quick photo of driver & e-mail to PD concerned.
I understand your frustration, but there are a few problems with your idea.

1. Taking the photo would make you guilty of the same infraction you are accusing them of.
2. Your photo would not be actionable. The police could not issue a ticket based on it.
3. Most important - hand-held phone use is legal (with some exceptions) at a stop light in NYS.

To the original question - a very short horn blast is what I consider the "standard" method. Flashing headlights is not very effective during the day with a distracted driver, and has too many other connotations at night.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I love when the driver in car#2 flips out when car#3 beeps when it is clearly obvious you're beeping at car#1. Makes you wonder what the hell they're concentrating on behind the wheel.
LOL, so true. Like you don't realize there is a car in front of car #2.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Your Home View Post
This is Seinfeld materials.
Did you ever get to the light, and there's a car in front of you? As you wait for the light to change, another car stops behind you. You're still waiting, looking about at the other cars, wondering what they're thinking and notice one of drivers to your side is looking back at you. You avert your eyes looking in another direction...yeah, they didn't see me looking at them, but they know I know they looked at me. While wrestling with this, the light turns green. The guy who was looking at me in the other lane moves forward while the person in front of me has failed to move. Looking at me guy shoots the guy in front of me the look as he continues off to some place that may be where I am going, only he will get there first...and when he gets there first, will he be looking at me while I pull in? Do I look at him? I look back at the car in front of me, brake light still on and the light isn't getting any greener. Do a honk? Will they think it is a friendly honk or an aggressive one? Will he shoot me a look? Suddenly, a blaring horn sounds behind me. Buddy, I want to move, too, but now brake light guy is going to think I was the jerk in a hurry! Brake light guy lifts his foot off the brake just as the light turns red...

queue Seinfeld theme music

Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 PM

44 posts, read 34,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Did you ever get to the light, and there's a car in front of you? As you wait for the light to change, another car stops behind you. You're still waiting, looking about at the other cars, wondering what they're thinking and notice one of drivers to your side is looking back at you. You avert your eyes looking in another direction...yeah, they didn't see me looking at them, but they know I know they looked at me. While wrestling with this, the light turns green. The guy who was looking at me in the other lane moves forward while the person in front of me has failed to move. Looking at me guy shoots the guy in front of me the look as he continues off to some place that may be where I am going, only he will get there first...and when he gets there first, will he be looking at me while I pull in? Do I look at him? I look back at the car in front of me, brake light still on and the light isn't getting any greener. Do a honk? Will they think it is a friendly honk or an aggressive one? Will he shoot me a look? Suddenly, a blaring horn sounds behind me. Buddy, I want to move, too, but now brake light guy is going to think I was the jerk in a hurry! Brake light guy lifts his foot off the brake just as the light turns red...

queue Seinfeld theme music
Sooooo about nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island