Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 AM

18 posts, read 17,699 times

Advertisements

I love the ads for firewood. Just take down my trees that I'm too cheap to pay a tree guy to take down, and the wood is yours. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 04:34 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,367,502 times
I had an idiot come to my house. I was selling a 48" round wood table with 4 chairs. I wrote $100 ABSOLUTELY FIRM. The guy came all the way from Brooklyn to Farmingdale. he got there, looked at it and said I'll give you $75. I said the price was firm. He said $80. I said $100 Firm and that was priced to sell. He wound up leaving. Heck, if he wants to waste 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hours of round trip driving, its up to him. Some buyers are ok but most CL are looking for stuff for free.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:05 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
I would have taken the $80 but that's just me.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 6,636 times
You should try local facebook groups that are dedicated to selling stuff. I'm not saying they are much better than craigslist but i have been way more successful selling stuff there than anywhere else.

Craigslist and Ebay is too much of a hassle, they are either trying to scam you or you have to eat up a bunch of fees like shipping, ebay listing fees etc...

Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM

321 posts, read 596,473 times
About 7 years ago I sold an almost-new iPhone 4 on Craigslist. The guy showed up with counterfeit $100's and I almost had a fist fight trying to keep the phone...

All of this in the Roosevelt Field food court!

Old 03-09-2017, 12:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,747,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think they are trying to get you to give away personal info like when you won't be home (Thanks for your interest, I am at work every day from 8-5 so nights or weekends are best if you want to come see the item). I had a situation that pretty much sealed the deal for me on this....this girl was all excited about this item till she found out someone is always home at my house. Then I had the crazy lady who asked me 4-5 questions every day about a $250 bike I was selling for $40 then asked me to meet her outside a bicycle store so she could have her special snowflake test drive it (5 years old) and then she was going to see if anyone in the store could do a thorough inspection. I finally told her she had too much time on her hands and to get lost. CL is a haven for crazy lonely people.
That. My son received a FB message about wheels and tires he was trying to sell. The guy was pestering him, wanting to come out and see them, where are they located? The ad spelled everything out including pictures. I told my son the person was probably trying to learn the address and gauge when you weren't home. Aggravating.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 AM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
When selling things on Craigslist why do people email you with interest and then you never hear from them again?

I'm cleaning out the excess stuff in my house that I no longer need and have everything on Craigslist for dirt cheap prices and I get all these email replies asking if "it's still available" and naturally I reply yes, and then never hear back from them again.

or

I have something listed with a firm price and so inexpensively to begin with, and they still offer you a low ball price.
"Is it still available?" I don't respond to those for the reasons mentioned. Ask that people reply with a specific word in the email title. I also don't respond to absurd lowball offers. When I have a buyer, I ask for their phone number and call them. I ask that they text me when they're on the way or when they arrive. I also want to know what type/color vehicle they're driving. I don't open the door unless I have some idea who's on the other side.

All of the people I've sold things to were normal and very nice.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 AM

3 posts, read 1,627 times
These are called Tire Kickers.
It's because in some cases they want something, they're interested in knowing if it's still available, if you say "no its Sold" then they can move on with their lives and not think about it again. But if you tell them yes it's still available, then the next step is on them they have to make an appointment to see it or pick it up or buy it or something. But because of either their busy lives or laziness, they can't commit to The Next Step so it just remains in limbo.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:44 PM

190 posts, read 153,285 times
I was thinking bout giving some stuff away on craigslist. now i may just trash them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: