Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:01 PM

73 posts, read 80,166 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am interested in the new development in Greenlawn called Harborfields estates, but I've read some interesting posts about areas to avoid in the neighborhood. Should I be concerned that it's on Pulaski road? Is the area south of Pulaski road really that bad? There are houses that I am considering south of Pulaski road that seem nice. There's a house on Aster street that's nice and under budget but I'm scared about buying something in the wrong area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
That area is fine. Hasn't changed in many, many years and probably won't.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,172 times
HF Estates is in a great area. Main concerns would be noise from the train or pulaski. That area directly North and South of there are great areas, no concerns. If I didn't think the train noise would bug me, I would purchase there if I were house hunting.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:22 AM

245 posts, read 319,990 times
It's in a good spot. As another commenter pointed out, it's between the train and pulaski rd. I'm sure the builder has this in mind when it comes to materials.

As for South of Pulaski.. I've heard that, but I don't think it applies to Greenlarge except for one small section off of Broadway. Drive around south of Pulaski and you'll see a lot of well maintained homes on half acre lots.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,966 times
I wouldn't trust the soil there between the Hazeltine plant and National Grid toxins, and for an extra you get the train and Pulaski noise.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:16 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
If you have that kind of money (I think the houses start at around $749K give or take and go up from there), do yourself a favor and look in Salem Ridge - it's in the Harborfields SD, and is a heck of a lot better area than where this development is going up. The Salem Ridge houses are on about 2/3 acres, the houses are about 40 years old, some are newly renovated, the neighborhood is very well kept, the area is well developed (think large trees, etc.), and the taxes will be a lot lower than these new builds. It's also a few miles north of Pulaski, and I think the area has a Huntington address, but is in the Harborfields SD. Check the tax bill for the SD.

It's about location, location, location. Don't be swept up by a new Island Estate house. Not an awful location but not great by any means, and you can spend your money more wisely IMHO by looking north of Pulaski. Spend the day driving around neighborhoods north of Pulaski, don't discount Centerport which is part of Harborfields SD. You also may like the Little Neck Road area. And just north of Greenlawn Village are many neighborhoods that may be what you're looking for.

One of my favorite areas in Greenlawn is Arbutus Road with the side streets branching off from it. Feels like a little bit of country there.

Again, get in your car and spend the day meandering around the different neighborhoods. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:29 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,966 times
Default video about the site

https://youtu.be/s4MDY-yl4CE

Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 AM

137 posts, read 272,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I can appreciate that this guy is trying to help the community but the video is unbearable. I made it two minutes. Cliff's Notes please?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
If you have that kind of money (I think the houses start at around $749K give or take and go up from there), do yourself a favor and look in Salem Ridge - it's in the Harborfields SD, ,
Great area - however, parts of it are prone to flooding. When looking into buying there, do your homework and ask lots of questions about the water table.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:36 PM

137 posts, read 272,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Great area - however, parts of it are prone to flooding. When looking into buying there, do your homework and ask lots of questions about the water table.
Absolutely true. I know someone who lives there. It "floods" anytime it rains over an inch. Obviously not a big flood, but very small pools of water in the basement. It doesn't take much to get water in the house in that area. This person had to install a high tech, very expensive system in the basement to make sure no mold is created as a result of the constant water intrusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island