Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Affordability of any and all taxes are affected by debts and obligations. Here in NY we clobber homeowners with practically the entire school tax burden while CA spreads the school taxes among more people. Otherwise, many well off Californians would not contribute anything to the schools.

It's obvious that CA homeowners have a better deal. They pay far less in property taxes and their homes are worth a lot more at selling time. LI homeowners get shafted twice with low appreciation and horrendous taxes.

The situation will never improve. LI taxpayers have too many trough feeders and pension geezers to support.
CA homeowners have a better deal if they don't sell. If you buy a house for $100K then the tax - and its increase - is based upon the selling price. If that person sells the house for $500K the tax resets at the new rate and then increases. Florida has something similar with the Homestead program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,892,869 times
/\ Cali is better for him because, when you get a house for nothing, taxes are low. You can live fine without ever getting a real job. Sad!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ Cali is better for him because, when you get a house for nothing, taxes are low. You can live fine without ever getting a real job. Sad!
Quote:
I am blessed to have learned a valuable trade that pays me handsomely both in the private and in the public sector.
Probably something that you fell into thanks to a friend/relative, not something you sought after and earned yourself. Regardless, you proudly support the thievery of every homeowner here year after year while bragging about earnings (more than once). No amount of self justification will help your image. You said yourself you wish your kids don't follow in your footsteps. Telling people to leave only serves to help your own conscience and nothing else.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Probably something that you fell into thanks to a friend/relative, not something you sought after and earned yourself. Regardless, you proudly support the thievery of every homeowner here year after year while bragging about earnings (more than once). No amount of self justification will help your image. You said yourself you wish your kids don't follow in your footsteps. Telling people to leave only serves to help your own conscience and nothing else.
Hearing someone helpless cry day after day gets tiresome. It's pathetic to hear that for years and the person not help themselves. Sometimes it takes some reality to get through it.

Ever hear of civil service exams? Anyone can take them and if you score high enough you get hired from a pool. This isn't like being a teacher. I don't hold a grudge against anyone though. I'm your age and knew teaching on LI was a great gig when I was in high school. Did you not know?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Quote:
Hearing someone helpless cry day after day gets tiresome. It's pathetic to hear that for years and the person not help themselves. Sometimes it takes some reality to get through it.

Ever hear of civil service exams? Anyone can take them and if you score high enough you get hired from a pool. This isn't like being a teacher. I don't hold a grudge against anyone though. I'm your age and knew teaching on LI was a great gig when I was in high school. Did you not know?
Nope, neither my wife nor I knew a KG teacher could make $130k plus bennies in this galaxy by any stretch of even the most insane corrupt imagination. Most people don't. That is why your type and their cronies rally out the sheeple vote every local election to render any votes that aren't "on the team" moot and maintain the status quo. Why the union sinks endless resources into slyly manipulating and whipping the opt-out ninnies into a frenzy.

I have no grudge. I'm just honest enough to call BS on something when it's so obvious. School boards are starting to get it and the politicians known for handing out the gravy deals are mostly being indicted now so in 20 years maybe the pendulum will swing back towards reality and our kids will be able to live here...and policing and teaching aren't the highest paying jobs around and draining every resource from our communities.

The usual 2 suspects should be out to comment on my (imagined) hatred of the teaching profession in 5...4...3...2...1... yawn

Last edited by monstermagnet; 01-05-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Nope, neither my wife nor I knew a KG teacher could make $130k plus bennies in this galaxy by any stretch of even the most insane corrupt imagination. Most people don't. That is why your type and their cronies rally out the sheeple vote every local election to render any votes that aren't "on the team" moot and maintain the status quo. Why the union sinks endless resources into slyly manipulating and whipping the opt-out ninnies into a frenzy.

I have no grudge. I'm just honest enough to call BS on something when it's so obvious. School boards are starting to get it and the politicians known for handing out the gravy deals are mostly being indicted now so in 20 years maybe the pendulum will swing back towards reality and our kids will be able to live here...and policing and teaching aren't the highest paying jobs around and draining every resource from our communities.

The usual 2 suspects should be out to comment on my (imagined) hatred of the teaching profession in 5...4...3...2...1... yawn
You were too busy rocking out. Most people knew it was an amazing job for at least the last 20 years. Whatever, this thread has run its course about 15-20 pages ago. Your typical post was spot on though. Let's hope for the best.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,559 times
This long isle thing is a teacher? I would definitely not want to be his, hers or its class! Surely its absentee students are faking illness to avoid being in the room with it. No doubt it considers its performance and qualifications immaculate.

Go ahead and flame me, long. I can't see it.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Man kiko brings up a good point. It's very important to pay attention to your surroundings and understand the words you read. If you fail to do so you could end up a failure no matter how much of a head start you are given.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
Quote:
I'm your age and knew teaching on LI was a great gig when I was in high school. Did you not know?
I went on to do something I actually wanted to do... what difference does knowing about teachers make? That you can easily tell who the selfish/greedy/lazy ones are if that's the reason for jumping in?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I went on to do something I actually wanted to do... what difference does knowing about teachers make? That you can easily tell who the selfish/greedy/lazy ones are if that's the reason for jumping in?
Knowing gives you options. I think many teachers are selfish/greedy and lazy. All professions have them. You guys should start up a Facebook group. This anonymous crap isn't gonna cut it. Post a link when it's done and I'll join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island