Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:42 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,930,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I guess. Suffolk is really big and the east end (east of William Floyd) really does stay quite rural and have it's own identity.

Why the name peconic, though? Doesn't the actual hamlet of peconic only have like 6 people living in it? Lol.
Probably because all five of the east end towns abut Peconic Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 PM

258 posts, read 459,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Probably the most idiotic thing I've seen on here. You're aware that Ronkonkoma (Town of Islip) is primarily Town of Brookhaven residents, yeah? Easily one of the most stupid comments I've ever seen on here.
Awesome, I'm glad I've taken the distinction of stupidest comment ever. Could care less.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:26 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,208,826 times
Yeah, once the east end splits from the rest of Suffolk it will no longer be commutable to NYC.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,413,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Honestly, he has a great point. To narrow in even more, if Suffolk splits, Huntington, Smithtown, Babylon, and Islip are still towns you can commute to NYC from. The only area I could see having problems is Brookhaven. Everything between Ronkonkoma and Riverhead is just kind of...there. There's nothing truly special about Brookhaven, except maybe Stony Brook. It certainly is not commutable to NYC, either. It's just working and lower class suburbia, with a lot of areas that are truly struggling.
Stony Brook to NYC is commutable, but it's not easy. I've done my share of the 5:54 train that gets to Penn at 7:20, or the 7:46 that gets in at 9:24 (those times are burned in my brain forever). For me it was always 2 hours each way door-to-door to the office, and that's without any delays.

I only did it occasionally, but I know people who do it every day. 4 hours a day spent commuting is a lot.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:43 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,208,826 times
When I was living on the east end full time I used to commute to western Nassau.
It wasn't all that bad. I got used to it.
Not for everybody but it's not too horrible. Especially if you like your vehicle.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,239,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Awesome, I'm glad I've taken the distinction of stupidest comment ever. Could care less.
Couldn't. Couldn't care less.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:44 AM

34,158 posts, read 47,736,218 times
Peconic County, NY?

This is interesting. I guess Riverhead will be the seat of Peconic County, so what would Suffolk's be? Islip?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,930,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Peconic County, NY?

This is interesting. I guess Riverhead will be the seat of Peconic County, so what would Suffolk's be? Islip?
Suffolk's would be what has been its ersatz seat for decades - Hauppauge.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:11 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,766,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Suffolk's would be what has been its ersatz seat for decades - Hauppauge.
Yeah it switched from Riverhead to Hauppauge years and years ago since the majority of the population lives in western Suffolk.

Also, Jarot does have a point. MOST of Brookhaven (not all) is pretty much flyover country with the obvious exceptions (Stony Brook, Port Jefferson, Blue Point, even patchogue has things to offer), but most of the towns, especially the 25 corridor (think Centereach all the way out to coram) is pretty dull. Same with the farmingville/holtsville area. Painfully boring, Not much to see. This isn't to say that these aren't nice towns, just boring.

Before I get attcked, I've lived in many places in Brookhaven and It always felt like there was nothing going on. It's just so dull.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:08 PM

258 posts, read 459,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Yeah it switched from Riverhead to Hauppauge years and years ago since the majority of the population lives in western Suffolk.

Also, Jarot does have a point. MOST of Brookhaven (not all) is pretty much flyover country with the obvious exceptions (Stony Brook, Port Jefferson, Blue Point, even patchogue has things to offer), but most of the towns, especially the 25 corridor (think Centereach all the way out to coram) is pretty dull. Same with the farmingville/holtsville area. Painfully boring, Not much to see. This isn't to say that these aren't nice towns, just boring.

Before I get attcked, I've lived in many places in Brookhaven and It always felt like there was nothing going on. It's just so dull.
Before I moved out (technically haven't moved out yet, the constant snow is delaying our move, typing this from my mother-in-law's house in Center Moriches which is the epitome of middle of nowhere, I can't stand it), I lived in Patchogue. It's a nice village for what it is, but the surrounding towns like Medford, Holbrook, Holtsville, Bellport, Coram, Seldes, etc. are just nothing special in my opinion. I'm not trying to be offensive, they're just towns with not much to offer. You have to drive to Ronkonkoma to commute to NYC, and the East End is still a good 30-45 minutes away. A lot of Brookhaven is just drive-through country. Splitting up Suffolk is going to make that even more apparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island