Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 05:21 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Some of the New Wave and Punk bands did. Others were definitely Manhattan only playing the Mudd Club or Max's. There were also some loft shows in Manhattan that I went to and some I played.

Long Island was a bit odd with the Nassau Col for the really big shows, the Arena and a lot of clubs of various sizes. In NYC it was a ***** to get booked but on Long Island you could almost work about every week if you didn't mind some smaller pubs and clubs.
I remember seeing Elvis Costello on Saturday Night Live; wish I could've see him play live in a smaller place, or anywhere. Back then, when I was in high school, & shortly after, a person who enjoyed hearing live music had options. It was reasonably affordable to go out & hear a live band. Challenging to get to some of the smaller places if one didn't have a car or drive, etc.

Getting to Manhattan was easy by train, & so too access to all types of music.

It really was 'another time another place'. The various genres of music? Does anyone remember disco? lol how can anyone forget disco, or its influence. All types of music bumping up against each other, at the same time, & sometimes at the same place. Thinking now of Uncle Sam's which also had a punk night & with a different club name (Spit?) & with a different entrance. & reggae in Freeport, & so on.

I still gotta give credit to folks like Eppy & Sonny, they made it happen on LI, they brought talented musicians here, & made it possible for talented musicians to work on LI, & sometimes without needing a 'day job'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 05:26 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I remember seeing Elvis Costello on Saturday Night Live; wish I could've see him play live in a smaller place. Back then, when I was in high school, & shortly after, a person who enjoyed hearing live music had options. It was reasonably affordable to go out & hear a live band. Challenging to get to some of the smaller places if one didn't have a car or drive, etc.

Getting to Manhattan was easy by train, & so too access to all types of music.

It really was 'another time another place'. The various genres of music? Does anyone remember disco? lol how can anyone forget disco, or its influence. All types of music bumping up against each other, at the same time, & sometimes at the same place. Thinking now of Uncle Sam's which also had a punk night & a different name ('Spit'?) with a different entrance. & reggae in Freeport, & so on.

I still gotta give credit to folks like Eppy & Sonny, they made it happen on LI, they brought talented musicians here, & made it possible for talented musicians to work on LI, & sometimes without needing a 'day job'.
Being a full time drummer back in the 1970’s we saw the hand writing on the wall as far as live music went as dee jays were popping up every where .

We ended up going more in the direction of weddings going so far as to obtain the music rights to russos on the bay ...

Eventually I was forced to find a main career and push music into a 2nd job as dee jays dominated more and more

Old 02-05-2021, 06:29 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
We made more money with our wedding band and doing Sweet Sixteens than we’d make at a pub or small club. We kept it going until about 88 when I tossed in the towel. At least I got to walk away with most of my gear.

The various genres of music? That there in itself was amazing for the time, as you could go see almost whatever kind of music floated your boat that week. And the tribute bands, some of them were pretty darn good. Samantha’s Alice Cooper Show was something I never expected to see. And Long Islanders loved almost any kind of rock. Some places I’ve been if you were a hard rock band instead of Southern Rock you may have a problem getting gigs.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:37 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Some of the New Wave and Punk bands did. Others were definitely Manhattan only playing the Mudd Club or Max's. There were also some loft shows in Manhattan that I went to and some I played.

Long Island was a bit odd with the Nassau Col for the really big shows, the Arena and a lot of clubs of various sizes. In NYC it was a ***** to get booked but on Long Island you could almost work about every week if you didn't mind some smaller pubs and clubs.
To me the diff was in NYC you could get SIGNED or at least showcase for labels. Most original bands I knew in the 70's-00's were not concerned about getting paying gigs and if we were we got guarantees, not collect the door or beg the owner. That seems to still be a LI thing. Endless cover and tribute acts slaving for a $100 because they "love to play." Not for me, thx!

Old 02-06-2021, 07:47 PM

276 posts, read 231,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Just read this old thread and someone mentioned "Cheers".
I went there often as it was close to me.

Originally St. James Infirmary when it first opened.

Another I used to hit was the "Iron Horse Tavern" in Babylon.
I saw TS there for the first time.

There was another band around the time that Twisted Sister was a bar band.
A coworker at Fairchild told me about them and that they wore makeup.

I couldn't believe it and went to see them.

Jeremiah something or other they were called and very good.
This was in the mid 70's.

Man, I miss seeing the Good Rats and RRC too.

Fun fact: The St. James Infirmary (later to become Cheers) was owned by Big Barry of Big Barry's restaurant. there were a few of those around LI I believe.

I barely remember the restaurant- i definitely remember the cowboy boot shaped mug i had as a kid that was from there. loved that mug

i think Cheers later became the beach tree cafe.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:23 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post
Fun fact: The St. James Infirmary (later to become Cheers) was owned by Big Barry of Big Barry's restaurant. there were a few of those around LI I believe.

I barely remember the restaurant- i definitely remember the cowboy boot shaped mug i had as a kid that was from there. loved that mug

i think Cheers later became the beach tree cafe.
The Shot Gun Blast was the drink of choice for payday lunch at one company.
St James was wild. And you are correct on Cheers becoming Beech agree.
I think Barry was also on America’s Got Talent.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:51 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
We made more money with our wedding band and doing Sweet Sixteens than we’d make at a pub or small club. We kept it going until about 88 when I tossed in the towel. At least I got to walk away with most of my gear.

The various genres of music? That there in itself was amazing for the time, as you could go see almost whatever kind of music floated your boat that week. And the tribute bands, some of them were pretty darn good. Samantha’s Alice Cooper Show was something I never expected to see. And Long Islanders loved almost any kind of rock. Some places I’ve been if you were a hard rock band instead of Southern Rock you may have a problem getting gigs.
I went to a few weddings likely during that timeframe; some of the bands were really good ~ there were choices then ~ the couple had options.

That last part about hard rock v. Southern Rock reminded me of that place near the Bayshore ferry where they had that 'bull ride' thing. Some of the band members I knew back then used to comment on how they had to compete with the 'bull riders' while they were playing!

Old 08-11-2021, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 815 times
Default Thank you for Not Schlepping To Long Island!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
No, I was touring with real bands in real cities with actual music scenes across the country and in Europe. And yet, none of us bothered to shlep to gig on LI. Boston, Providence, NYC, Philly. LI? Good for weak blues hacks, deadhead wannabes and the occasional garage rock that went nowhere (Good Rats, maybe). Stick to pizza and bagels. LI's music "scene" is and always was the equivalent of Celeste and Lenders.
I'm going back for a visit and was trying to remember the names of all the clubs and saw this thread and have to say,
You know what bites? People who talk ****.

For the record, U2 played in Nassau Community's College Lunchroom/Student Space before anybody knew who the **** they were. My sister was there.

I saw the Ramones, have you heard of them? I saw them a few times, once at Reds in Levittown, got body slammed and then sat on the top of a ladder for the rest of the show.

I saw Simple Minds, have you heard of them? play at Malibu Night Club in Oceanside.
I saw dozens of others that I can't even remember but maybe I'll come back when I do.

We didn't have internet back then. We had MUSIC and we LOVED it, and DANCED like maniacs and tried to get rid of all that Angst! Then they shut down the clubs and all the music and dancing and the fun and left people with nothing but Starbucks and Malls, so many malls and virtual reality and internet. Once in awhile if people are lucky they can pay hundreds of dollars to go see a Band at some Corporate Venue, get body searched, pay $30 to park, pay $20 a drink, sit in a sit like a Zombie and say this is fun. Sit in the parking lot for an hour and exit like cattle.
It's SAD.
I used to feel bad about all that partying, but you know what? It taught me a lot and I would much rather have lived life that way and learned quite a thing or two, then living life on a computer screen, shoving my feelings down with food, soda, and whatever pills are being handed out for the lack of luster and life that exists these days.
Poor Kids

Old 08-11-2021, 07:08 AM

32 posts, read 13,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowBrooke View Post
I'm going back for a visit and was trying to remember the names of all the clubs and saw this thread and have to say,
You know what bites? People who talk ****.

For the record, U2 played in Nassau Community's College Lunchroom/Student Space before anybody knew who the **** they were. My sister was there.

I saw the Ramones, have you heard of them? I saw them a few times, once at Reds in Levittown, got body slammed and then sat on the top of a ladder for the rest of the show.

I saw Simple Minds, have you heard of them? play at Malibu Night Club in Oceanside.
I saw dozens of others that I can't even remember but maybe I'll come back when I do.

We didn't have internet back then. We had MUSIC and we LOVED it, and DANCED like maniacs and tried to get rid of all that Angst! Then they shut down the clubs and all the music and dancing and the fun and left people with nothing but Starbucks and Malls, so many malls and virtual reality and internet. Once in awhile if people are lucky they can pay hundreds of dollars to go see a Band at some Corporate Venue, get body searched, pay $30 to park, pay $20 a drink, sit in a sit like a Zombie and say this is fun. Sit in the parking lot for an hour and exit like cattle.
It's SAD.
I used to feel bad about all that partying, but you know what? It taught me a lot and I would much rather have lived life that way and learned quite a thing or two, then living life on a computer screen, shoving my feelings down with food, soda, and whatever pills are being handed out for the lack of luster and life that exists these days.
Poor Kids
Sounds like you're pining for the "good ole days." Join the club.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Every time I pass by Malibu on Lido Blvd I get sad. Seen some great shows there.

But I do get a warm chuckle when boomers come in here talking about all that "back in my day" nonsense lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island