Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:29 PM

24 posts, read 34,146 times

Advertisements

Curious to get people's opinions on comparing these two sections of Nassau based on commute, population, architecture, vibes, etc.

SW Nassau
Rockvulle Centre
Lynbrook
Malverne
Oceanside
Easy Rockaway

SE Nassau
Merrick
Bellmore
Wantagh
Seaford
Massapequa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:47 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,910,950 times
SE Nassau is almost completely white middle class suburban sprawl. Housing plots tend to be a bit larger here than in SW Nassau (but not as large as Suffolk).

SW Nassau has more variety in neighborhood types, architecture and diversity. SW Nassau has the better commute simply because it's closer to the city. Most of SW Nassau is a lot busier and more "Queens-like".

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of South Shore Nassau for many reasons. One of which is because so many people there are rude, standoff'ish, gaudy and guido-like in nature; everything that I hate about Long Island. I do like Rockville Centre and Baldwin but that's about it though.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-19-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,539,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
SE Nassau is almost completely white middle class suburban sprawl. Housing plots tend to be a bit larger here than in SW Nassau (but not as large as Suffolk).

SW Nassau has more variety in neighborhood types, architecture and diversity. SW Nassau has the better commute simply because it's closer to the city. Most of SW Nassau is a lot busier and more "Queens-like".

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of South Shore Nassau.
SW Nassau here, the above is generally right except I don't find local traffic a problem at all here. Maybe because the roads around here were built to properly accommodate the heavy development. Much more congested roadways on the North Shore, central Nassau, southeast Nassau and Western Suffolk and the 347 corridor.

As to the area itself, it's growing on me

Old 01-19-2016, 05:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,991,605 times
Quote:

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of South Shore Nassau for many reasons. One of which is because so many people there are rude, standoff'ish and guido-like in nature.
I left SE Nassau for the North Shore. The guido thing, heavy accent, and tell-it-like-it-is mentality always put me off. But then I was introduced to the North Shore poop-doesn't-stink snobs and developed a rapid appreciation for what I had left!

I like SE Nassau more, for the property and more of a suburban feel. SW Nassau is more like Queens nowadays.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:12 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,778,377 times
Always liked SE Nassau more.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM

20,086 posts, read 20,890,524 times
RVC. Then you have Merrick-Bellmore-Wantagh-Seaford-Pequas.
S/W blows. Big time. S/E is ok. Kind of. Snooty and Jersey Shore-ish. Horrible skin and hair-do's, but the houses are kept nice and plenty of European luxury cars in the driveways.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
RVC. Then you have Merrick-Bellmore-Wantagh-Seaford-Pequas.
S/W blows. Big time. S/E is ok. Kind of. Snooty and Jersey Shore-ish. Horrible skin and hair-do's, but the houses are kept nice and plenty of European luxury cars in the driveways.
Horrible skin??

Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,910,950 times
^^Yep, SE Nassau can be very "keeping up with the joneses", especially south of Sunrise. If you decide to renovate your splanch then at least one of your neighbors will Mcmansion-out their cape regardless of how much debt that they put themselves in.

If you get a BMW 5 series then your neighbors will get a 7-Series or a Benz S-Class to have one up on you. Get a Lexus RX for your wife and then a Porsche Cayenne pops up across the street within a week :/

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-19-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
^^Yep, SE Nassau can be very "keeping up with the joneses". If you decide to expand your cape than at least one of your neighbors will Mcmansion-out their ranch. If you get a BMW 5 series then your neighbors will get a 7-Series or a Benz S-Class to have one up on you! Get a Lexus RX for your wife and then a Porsche Cayenne pops up across the street within a week :/
Very true.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 PM

20,086 posts, read 20,890,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Horrible skin??
That orangey Oompa loompa old baseball glove look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island