Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,960,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I actually live in Baldwin and it's pretty nice, it does not "get bad" North of the tracks by any means, although Grand Avenue is a little ugly in some spots. I work in Baldwin and Roosevelt, Baldwin is by no means "becoming the next Roosevelt".

Thank you, that's the truth
John inwestbusy never tells the truth IGNORE HIM. He is a waste of time a dishonest fool and a complainer and a drama queen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,335,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I used to work in the North Baldwin area from 2013-2015 and I really liked it. The residential areas were all beautiful and nicely kept, even all the way up to the parkway BUT Grand Avenue itself looked a bit depressed like it could use an upgrade and some better stores. I'm in a line of work where I interact with a lot of people and most of the residents that i've encountered were also very pleasant.
I'll admit, I never went to the side streets, only been thru Grand Ave on the bus and it doesn't look that great, particularly north of the LIRR.
Creepy people hanging around that area too. However, people are pretty civil and pleasant in the Best Buy shopping center nearby.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
SW Suffolk is a bit like SE Nassau but not really... SW Suffolk has more quaint downtowns, more diversity in many areas, tends to be a bit more blue-collar, a bit less 'keeping up with the joneses' and has a couple of rough spots.

Lindenhurst in particular reminds me so much of Massapequa; like a budget version of it. North Babylon kinda reminds me of Bethpage in some ways though I don't know if that's considered SE Nassau or not.
That is changing, seeing more & more Benzes & luxury cars parked in driveways in Lindenhurst. I hope it stays more affordable than Massapequa, but it seems this is a trend in all of these type of middle class neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Interesting point about finance types.

This isn't mean to be a sweeping generalization, just my personal experience..

The Finance guys that I know from the south shore towns are brokers. Aggressive, maybe college educated, type "A" personalities that saw the movie 'boiler room' and wanted to emulate. They will let you know how they feel about you. And they will make sure you know that they earn a good living.

The Finance guys that I know from the North shore tend to be bankers or traders. More reserved, highly educated types. Although they may judge you, they usually keep it quiet. You can tell they are financially successful by the way in which they carry themselves

"keeping up with the Jones's" exists everywhere. The difference is that the people in the North shore towns usually wont go bankrupt doing it.
Yeah that is exactly what I am talking about. Well they may be college educated but they do not behave like it. Wolf of Wall Street types. Very obnoxious. I've even heard that they don't even like outsiders on their express flyer trains and have their own "seats", and if you ride the train and sit in them they are pretty unpleasant about it! Its public transportation but these ppl don't act like it!
The Port Washington Branch people are more civil, even though they are quite rich.
Remember these Babylon Branch people are the same folks who caused a one hour suspension of service because they "self evacuated" onto the tracks near Bellmore when they train hit some debris. Also the same folks who had their train stop at Jamaica for the police to question some guy who had darker skin & was reading a Quaran. They may get the best train service but don't deserve it. Was so happy the other night when the LIRR combined all three Wantagh/Seaford flyer trains and left the Main Line alone.
Between that & the stock market it hasn't been a good week for them, and they looked pretty miserable getting off the train today.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I too, live in Baldwin Harbor (until we close and put our stuff into storage next month) and second this. The attacks on Baldwin in this thread are downright uncalled for and inaccurate. The town may not be Jericho or Manhasset, but it has a very MC feel/vibe to it and the Baldwin Civic Association makes dang sure the town doesn't turn into the next Hempstead.
That is good to hear. I've only based my opinions on Baldwin from what I've seen of Grand Ave around the LIRR and north, since I frequently use the bus route down there.
I hope Baldwin civic can work on revitalizing Grand, it sure has alot of potential, lots of good train service as well as buses nearby.
I've always liked the library there. Could be a great downtown area.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:38 AM

236 posts, read 474,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It is unfortunate. It seems that alot of illegal apartments have been popping up in Baldwin. This is all steering by the Real Estate industry. The same folks that keep places like Merrick and Wantagh lily white (and keep out any minorities, programs,etc) steer all the minorities into places like Baldwin. They want it to be the next Roosevelt. It is unfortunate, Baldwin used to be a nice town with a mix of people, but the downtown is dead, and once you go north of the LIRR it gets bad fast. I have very little respect for the Real Estate industry, from personal experience as well as research.
And I hate to say it, but watch out Valley Stream you are next. There are already rumblings & complaints about drastic increases in crime, and this robbery spree that's been going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I'll admit, I never went to the side streets, only been thru Grand Ave on the bus and it doesn't look that great, particularly north of the LIRR.
Creepy people hanging around that area too. However, people are pretty civil and pleasant in the Best Buy shopping center nearby.
So basically you helped mislead the OP about an entire town based on bus rides through the commercial corridor. Good job.

And you continue to spew similar nonsense about entire swaths of Long Island based on cars you claim you've seen in driveways far and wide, or "rumblings." Your schtick is simply defamatory, based on fantasy.

PS..."rumblings" about Valley Stream have been just that for decades, going back to the movie theater shooting. If you knew anything about Valley Stream you'd know that it has a very strong civic association (led by one of those lazy business-owning millennials) that has helped improve the downtown area with new businesses (though there's still lots of room for improvement) and resurrected the annual street fair, among a number of other accomplishments.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:17 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,795,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
So basically you helped mislead the OP about an entire town based on bus rides through the commercial corridor. Good job.

And you continue to spew similar nonsense about entire swaths of Long Island based on cars you claim you've seen in driveways far and wide, or "rumblings." Your schtick is simply defamatory, based on fantasy.
Seriously. Does JIW just take the bus and ride around different parts of LI all day??

Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,792,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I totally agree, and I think a lot of people make negative comments just because it's not "lily white"

and aww, why are you leaving?
We sold our house because its in a flood zone and got damaged by Sandy. Before Sandy, the house wasnt in a flood zone and after remapping, we got slammed w high premiums, plus we need a bigger house since its really a starter house. We are actually keeping North Baldwin as one of the towns we are targeting. Good thing we have family to live with until we find our next home. The inventory of homes all along the South Shore has been absolutely abysmal! We already lost 4 homes due to bidding wars (and yes, one was actually in North Baldwin by RVC border- the house had offers within 5 days of being listed- we walked away when our agent had the nerve to suggest we increase our bid an additional $30K just to bump off the other buyer. We were already $15K over asking and I got fed up and told the sellers agent to go scratch).

Clearly, Baldwin is desirable to prospective home buyers so John needs to get real and stop assuming that because he sees low income and sketchy characters on his NICE bus route, that it means the entire town has sketchy residents.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,543,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
We sold our house because its in a flood zone and got damaged by Sandy. Before Sandy, the house wasnt in a flood zone and after remapping, we got slammed w high premiums, plus we need a bigger house since its really a starter house. We are actually keeping North Baldwin as one of the towns we are targeting. Good thing we have family to live with until we find our next home. The inventory of homes all along the South Shore has been absolutely abysmal! We already lost 4 homes due to bidding wars (and yes, one was actually in North Baldwin by RVC border- the house had offers within 5 days of being listed- we walked away when our agent had the nerve to suggest we increase our bid an additional $30K just to bump off the other buyer. We were already $15K over asking and I got fed up and told the sellers agent to go scratch).

Clearly, Baldwin is desirable to prospective home buyers so John needs to get real and stop assuming that because he sees low income and sketchy characters on his NICE bus route, that it means the entire town has sketchy residents.
hahaha yea! If you judge a town by who's milling around the NICE bus stops, I think you'd have to write off the entire county.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,918,247 times
I don't get how somebody with no job, no car, no girlfriend and who probably has nothing to show for can judge and look down on people like that.

If you're gonna look down on somebody then you better at least be making six-figures, own a dream home in a nice town, drive a nice car, have a Masters Degree, a nice body packin an 8-incher, 750+ credit score and have a smokin hot wife/girlfriend!

If not then just stop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island