Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM

225 posts, read 317,706 times

Advertisements

Who knows about Lake Ronkonkoma and what do they know about it? Do people go there and swim in it? Are there reasons why people dont and why dont they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Says the person who left LI two decades ago.
So, you're saying that the areas that were going downhill 14 years ago, have gotten BETTER instead of worse? LOLLLLL!!!!!!!

Things don't get better on LI- they just get worse.

Like Islip Terrace. It was the grab-bag for nocturnal Central Islip residents in the mid-90's, with middle-class residents moving out, and more illegal immigrants and slum-dwellers moving in. And you would have me think that it has somehow gotten BETTER lately?

Soupy Sales is alive!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
So, you're saying that the areas that were going downhill 14 years ago, have gotten BETTER instead of worse? LOLLLLL!!!!!!!

Like Islip Terrace. It was the grab-bag for nocturnal Central Islip residents in the mid-90's, with middle-class residents moving out, and more illegal immigrants and slum-dwellers moving in. And you would have me think that it has somehow gotten BETTER lately?

Soupy Sales is alive!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Behave,
They ALL come back! In some shape or form. Either by visiting or posting how sunny it is in their new state, while we have a foot of snow. As they try to convince themselves that they made the right move.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
That's the problem, the college doesn't buffer the entire area. A block or so north of the Lowell/Connetquot fork is Central Islip, and the issues of the CI community spill over into the IT area.
I know what you mean. I tend to associate IT proper along Carleton Ave. I'm old enough to remember Carleton Park at its peak before they cleaned that up, the college took over the hospital, they put in the new residential, and then the ballpark, the new shopping center, etc... That whole area used to be real rough, but it feels like they went too far. The court building is a bloody horrendous eyesore - you can see it pretty much from all of IT and it has no redeeming architectural value. It's ugly as sin.

The bad elements always felt like they were creeping up from "behind" Heckscher Pkwy. I guess it's always been the further South the better in that area.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:

Soupy Sales is alive!
https://youtu.be/5A4xBp2rizQ

What are we waiting for?
Won't anybody help us?
What are we waiting for?
We can't afford to be innocent
stand up and face the enemy.
It's a do or die situation - we will be invincible.
This shattered dream you cannot justify.

Will we fight or will we die Long Island??

Old 09-30-2015, 05:53 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
It's true that in 90% of cases, once towns on LI start to decline then they only get worse and worse....and worse.

But there are some exceptions like Bay Shore and Port Jefferson which have actually gotten better. This is b/c they have some major redeeming qualities like a big downtown, LIRR stop and waterfront real estate.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:36 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg55 View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are looking at towns in Suffolk to move to. We are currently in Lindenhurst
Village, which we feel hasn't quite bounced back from hurricane sandy. Lots of people
were unable to sell their homes which has led to several homes in the area being rentals,
many of which are not well maintained. We have done some online research and it
appears Rocky Point, Shirley, Holbrook, Bohemia, Ronkonkoma, and Selden appear to be
within our price range and seem to have fairly low crime. We have twins about to enter middle school so a good school
system is a must...like to get something a quarter of an acre or larger in the 350-379
range, and the areas I mentioned seem to have a good amount of homes that fit the
bill. I will be retiring soon so commuting is not a factor and convenience to NYC also
not a big concern. I have heard and read mixed reviews on most of these towns
so any opinions would be a huge help. Thank you.

Rule out Selden and Shirley. The others have different feels. I like Rocky Point and Bohemia over Holbrook, but the Sachem district has it's fans.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelzLuv View Post
Who knows about Lake Ronkonkoma and what do they know about it? Do people go there and swim in it? Are there reasons why people dont and why dont they?

There is a legend about an Indian princess. I don't think that's why people don't swim in it. Actually, I think there's a beach.

It's only a legend.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:42 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Of the places being considered, Holbrook is the best. No contest. I've lived in Holbrook and Ronkonkoma. Ronk. used to be great- but it seems to be on the skids lately- but then again, all of LI seems to be on the skids lately- and if the skids haven't come to your town yet...it's just a matter of time till they do.

Bohemia's decent too- but I've always thought that Bohemia lacked any real character- it's like: It's just some space between Sunrise and Vets that was available, so they plopped some houses down it. Spots of Holtsville are still decent- but it seems that North Patchogue and Medford are "getting closer and closer", and eating up the good ol' Holtsville.
Good points. I agree with your comments about Holbrook and Bohemia.

For Holbrook, I would recommend most the eastern parts of Holbrook like "New England Village" and the Greenbelt Parkway areas. Generally the areas toward Nicolls Road. And the OP should not rule out nearby areas of Holtsville.

For Bohemia, I agree with Mumbly that Bohemia seems to lack any real character. Maybe it is because Bohemia does not have real town center and IMO is infested with too many commercial buildings in some areas. However on the plus side, Bohemia is centrally located, has some nice houses and decent sized properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island