Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 02:20 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times

Advertisements

Of the places being considered, Holbrook is the best. No contest. I've lived in Holbrook and Ronkonkoma. Ronk. used to be great- but it seems to be on the skids lately- but then again, all of LI seems to be on the skids lately- and if the skids haven't come to your town yet...it's just a matter of time till they do.

Bohemia's decent too- but I've always thought that Bohemia lacked any real character- it's like: It's just some space between Sunrise and Vets that was available, so they plopped some houses down it. Spots of Holtsville are still decent- but it seems that North Patchogue and Medford are "getting closer and closer", and eating up the good ol' Holtsville.

Rocky Point and Miller Place have been sketchy for a long time. They could go either way...but on LI, you know there is only one way that any place ever goes...and that is: Down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg55 View Post
Yes that is very helpful, thank you. No substitute for conversing with those who have
first hand knowledge of these areas.
I'd check out "Birchwood Estates" in Holtsville. Off of Patchogue/Holbrook road. South of New England Village/Holbrook. That was my other choice before picking Holbrook/New England Village.

Keep us posted

Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 AM

8 posts, read 17,351 times
I will thanks.... happened to be by a friends house in Islip recently and the area seemed nice...there
seems to be a good amount of houses in Islip/Islip Terrace that are within my parameters. Should
I consider these areas as well, and how do you guys feel they stack up among the others?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
- Bohemia is the only one of those places that i'd consider nice.
- Shirley/Mastic is very popular among the Jerry Springer/hick crowd. Not a great area at all though there may be some okay pockets.
- Ronkonkoma has an LIRR stop where you can expect about a 1hr30 minute train ride to NYC.

The rest are alright...probably not much better than Lindenhurst. Most places in Suffolk will have a pretty long commute to NYC. Be aware that when you go deep into Suffolk there is a huge problem with heavy drugs like heroin, oxycodone and meth. I known Ronkonkoma, Smithtown, Medford and Coram have been hit extremely hard.
Really, heavy drugs? Meth? Not bloody likely.

Yes, there are drugs in those towns, but the drugs are not confined just to these towns. Last I read, LI is a haven for prescription drug abuse which has led to an all out heroin epidemic as prescription drugs become harder to get and more regulated.

Coram and Medford have more crime problems than LI average due to higher populations of poor/poorer people.

Meth is the drug of choice out west, not as popular in the northeast.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Of the places being considered, Holbrook is the best. No contest. I've lived in Holbrook and Ronkonkoma. Ronk. used to be great- but it seems to be on the skids lately- but then again, all of LI seems to be on the skids lately- and if the skids haven't come to your town yet...it's just a matter of time till they do.

Bohemia's decent too- but I've always thought that Bohemia lacked any real character- it's like: It's just some space between Sunrise and Vets that was available, so they plopped some houses down it. Spots of Holtsville are still decent- but it seems that North Patchogue and Medford are "getting closer and closer", and eating up the good ol' Holtsville.

Rocky Point and Miller Place have been sketchy for a long time. They could go either way...but on LI, you know there is only one way that any place ever goes...and that is: Down!
Says the person who left LI two decades ago.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
I will thanks.... happened to be by a friends house in Islip recently and the area seemed nice...there
seems to be a good amount of houses in Islip/Islip Terrace that are within my parameters. Should
I consider these areas as well, and how do you guys feel they stack up among the others?
You need to narrow your towns to 2-3. Otherwise, you will go crazy! Taxes are one of the biggest concerns.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM

T
Quote:
Islip with Islip Schools -- worth considering. Nice community; have friends with children currently in the schools and they are pleased.

Islip Terrace -- I rented there years ago off Connetquot near Barasso and Sons. Some of the properties along Greenlawn Ave are large and kept up nicely. Some of IT borders on Central Islip, which for some people could be an issue. East Islip schools are fine. If you can swing it, look at the Timber Point area of East Islip.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Just like Connetquot is "held up" by the Idle Hour crowd, Islip is helped by the Bayberry Point crowd. Similar in East Islip with Moorings / Great River keeping them up in general. Country Village is a good compromise. The demographics of the Islip Terrace area has changed drastically over the years - even with the college buffering them from CI.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Just like Connetquot is "held up" by the Idle Hour crowd, Islip is helped by the Bayberry Point crowd. Similar in East Islip with Moorings / Great River keeping them up in general. Country Village is a good compromise. The demographics of the Islip Terrace area has changed drastically over the years - even with the college buffering them from CI.
That's the problem, the college doesn't buffer the entire area. A block or so north of the Lowell/Connetquot fork is Central Islip, and the issues of the CI community spill over into the IT area.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 17,351 times
Great stuff guys, thank you. I was wondering why the houses in Islip Terrace were so great for
such a reasonable price. Starting to see that when something in li real estate looks to good
to be true, there's a catch somewhere. Looks lke we will start the search with Bohemia, Holbrook,
and Islip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island