Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

I would forget about hamlet names and focus on the school district first, then the individual streets after that.

Connetquot and Sachem schools are the better districts that cover the areas you mentioned (Ronkonkoma is in both, Bohemia is Connetquot, Holbrook is Sachem.

There are other hamlets in Sachem like Holtsville and Lake Ronkonkoma and Lake Grove you should look at.

The other school districts go from ok (Rocky Point and Middle Country/Selden) to not great and getting worse ( William Floyd/Shirley)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 17,351 times
Thank you for the advice folks. The wife and I are both fond of Seaford but Im leery
about anywhere in Nassau county due to high prices/taxes and traffic congestion. I did
spend some time in Wading River, Rocky Point, Holbrook and Ronkonkoma. I loved
Wading River (nice people and country like setting) but the wife thought it was a bit too
far away from everything. Ditto for Rocky Point. Holbrook seemed very nice, well kept
houses and clean area. Ronkonkoma didn't impress me as much, just didn't seem quite
as nice and was surprisingly hilly. I plan to visit Bohemia next, and judging by the feedback
I shouldn't even bother looking at Shirley.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg55 View Post
Thank you for the advice folks. The wife and I are both fond of Seaford but Im leery
about anywhere in Nassau county due to high prices/taxes and traffic congestion. I did
spend some time in Wading River, Rocky Point, Holbrook and Ronkonkoma. I loved
Wading River (nice people and country like setting) but the wife thought it was a bit too
far away from everything. Ditto for Rocky Point. Holbrook seemed very nice, well kept
houses and clean area. Ronkonkoma didn't impress me as much, just didn't seem quite
as nice and was surprisingly hilly. I plan to visit Bohemia next, and judging by the feedback
I shouldn't even bother looking at Shirley.

You were probably in the Lake Hills area of Ronkonkoma, which is hilly by LI standards.

Holbrook is a littler newer (mostly 70's houses vs 50's and 60's in Ronkonkoma) and flatter. Schools are pretty similar.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You were probably in the Lake Hills area of Ronkonkoma, which is hilly by LI standards.

Holbrook is a littler newer (mostly 70's houses vs 50's and 60's in Ronkonkoma) and flatter. Schools are pretty similar.
There's the portion of Lake Ronkonkoma which is north of Smith Rd (near Sachem HS north) between Rustic Rd and Virginia Ave which has some good hills. Rustic has a serious ally-oop just after Phoebe Ct.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:20 PM

We came up 454 from Holbrook to Ronkonkoma (pretty industrial area), turned off and drove by a house on Joan St which was for sale...just found it to be a pretty hilly area for LI, which might be an issue in snow/ice.
I would concur the houses in Holbrook looked newer...kind of reminded me of Wantagh, but
with less traffic congestion. All these towns are new to me...im much more familiar with the
south shore towns in Nassau and western Suffolk. It appears you get more land for your money
when you go further east, not to mention traffic thats more reasonable.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
We came up 454 from Holbrook to Ronkonkoma (pretty industrial area), turned off and drove by a house on Joan St which was for sale...just found it to be a pretty hilly area for LI, which might be an issue in snow/ice.
I would concur the houses in Holbrook looked newer...kind of reminded me of Wantagh, but
with less traffic congestion. All these towns are new to me...im much more familiar with the
south shore towns in Nassau and western Suffolk. It appears you get more land for your money
Look in New England Village in Holbrook. Off of Patchogue/Holbrook Road.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:48 PM

401 posts, read 944,346 times
Quote:
Hello all,
My wife and I are looking at towns in Suffolk to move to. We are currently in Lindenhurst
Village, which we feel hasn't quite bounced back from hurricane sandy. Lots of people
were unable to sell their homes which has led to several homes in the area being rentals,
many of which are not well maintained. We have done some online research and it
appears Rocky Point, Shirley, Holbrook, Bohemia, Ronkonkoma, and Selden appear to be
within our price range and seem to have fairly low crime. We have twins about to enter middle school so a good school
system is a must...like to get something a quarter of an acre or larger in the 350-379
range, and the areas I mentioned seem to have a good amount of homes that fit the
bill. I will be retiring soon so commuting is not a factor and convenience to NYC also
not a big concern. I have heard and read mixed reviews on most of these towns
so any opinions would be a huge help. Thank you.
I would say Bohemia and Holbrook as your first choice. Ronkonkoma and Selden depends on the streets. As others' said, I would strike Shirley(sorry Shirley residents). I believe Bohemia's school district is Connetquot and Ronkonkoma and Holbrook are Sachem(I could be wrong). I think both are adequate, but not award winners. Rocky Point, Selden and Ronkomkoma depend upon the street you are on. Not awful, but it varies. I am in Sound Beach, and it is the same situation. However, William Floyd HS unfortunately is not considered one of the best schools. It has issues. With all that said, I have heard stories from all high schools where drug use and sales are rampant. It is all dependent on your child and family values.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Bohemia would definitely be my first choice, then Holbrook. I live in Holbrook. As I mentioned in another post, look at New England Village in Holbrook. Houses & taxes are slightly cheaper than Bohemia. Maybe, just maybe Ronkokoma. Nothing else on the orig list I'd pick.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Spooky - we did this exact dance before we bought years ago, looking at all the same towns mentioned... we had a higher budget, but in terms of today's picture with higher taxes, etc - it's essentially the same hunt. One thing about LI, nothing much changes. Don't fall into the trap that areas "will improve" and "schools will get better". They don't. bad is bad and will remain bad. Take Wading River (Riverhead), Centereach /Selden (Longwood/ Rte 25 nightmare), and Shirley / Mastic (William Floyd) off your list.

If you're looking in Holbrook, look in Holtsville and Farmingville (many pockets are Sachem, as well). Keep in mind Sachem has 2 HS - back then East was bright shiny and brand new. That said, you probably want to be West of Nicholls Rd in the HS North area. East of North Ocean is NG unless you find something in that small pocket right by the new HS. Keep in mind to OBH's point, closing schools should be a serious concern, check with the BOE.

If you're looking in Rocky Point, you might as well look in Sound Beach... I could have probably got past the clientele in those towns and the bonus of a small school district, I just couldn't stand thinking about the congestion getting into and out of there everyday. You're better off looking in the Moriches that aren't zoned to William Floyd.

Bohemia is a weird one and worth looking at. You'll get the Idle Hour crowd sticking their noses up at you, but you have nice parks and decent access to get anywhere - Oakdale merge at rush hours aside.

Anyway, hopefully that helps since I was pretty much in your exact seat years ago. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:23 PM

Yes that is very helpful, thank you. No substitute for conversing with those who have
first hand knowledge of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island